What should I do next... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum


View Full Version : What should I do next...

01-08-2007, 05:33 PM
I have been a member on here for a year or so, But i do not post much. I like to read and learn and usually dont have much to say. I also, I guess, cant post anywhere else on here since I still have NOOB status... I am not sure. I have come across this issue...

I have a 96 Chevy Corsica and it had a 3100 SFI in it. I decided I wanted to do a 3400 swap into it. There is this local guy here in Colorado, who I know who drives an alero sc. He is building another engine and so he had a spare 3400 he sold to me for 400 bucks. it is from a 2001 Alero and only has about 20,000 miles on this engine. He said that one piston was cracked and also some burnt valves in cylinder 6, but that he would replace the piston and valves before he sold it to me. I totally trusted him at the time cause he seemed like a good genuine person. So he had the work done and sold me the engine. Before we made it final, I asked him if there is anything I need to know about this engine, any possible issues I might have or any other parts that he is not including in this deal that I will need. His response was that all I would need is a new head gasket set and that his mechanic friend checked the engine over and said it is fine and ready to just drop in. I trutingly took his word for it and payed him 400 for it. He wanted five, but after looking at all he gave me realized that there was no tb included, in exhaust manifold, no egr. So i tried to call him and email him asking if maybe he forgot these parts or what the deal was. He never returned my messages, so i had to go out and buy all these parts myself. Well then he emailed me and asked for the final 100 and i explained to him, which i had before, That I only have a small window to get this done since this is my only daily and I had no choice but to go out and buy these parts that were supose to be included and so I didnt feel I should have to pay the last 100. he agreed and was ok with it.

So then I get the engine in and start it and noticed a lifter ticking and i would not run like it should. So I need to replace the lifters... So I take it apart again and put in new lifters and fix some other miner stuff. Put it back together and it clanks really loud, So i take it apart again and notice that the bolt that holds in the v bracket that goes over the fake distributor plug was bent and the bracket was not secured down and thats what was clanking. How do you bend a bolt and then leave it? So then I get it back together and I start it and go get the codes scaneed and it says CYLINDER 6 MISFIRE DETECTED! The same cylinder in which he changed the piston and valves! So i give him the benifit of the doubt and i checked for spark and down the line. Finally I do a compression check and it was at 60. after doing further tests, I find out that valve job he had done obviously was not done right, so I have to spend more money On top of the lifters and all the parts he didnt include and replace the head. I had no choice but to replace the head because i didnt have time to wait to redo that valve job. My daughters xmas vacation was almost over and I had to have the car to drive her to school. So before I ran out and bought a head, I did a leak test on the head and yup! The valve he supposedly replaced was leaking like a civ! So i replaced the head and it still seems to miss at times and I have already had the cylinder 6 code come up again, which means he didnt seat the piston ring right or didnt even replace the ring, just like the sleeve he didnt replace in the head!

So Now I am asking him to help with the costs I have incurred only with the cylinder 6 issues since he supposedly had it fixed. Obviously it was not done right in the first place. I have emailed him and called him several times and i have only gotten a response once. He asked what I wanted from him and I told him I wanted the 50 bucks i had to spend on a head and in exchange I would even give him his old crappy head back. I also told him I wanted help with any other costs I might have with this cylinder 6 issue, since for one, it was supposedly fixed and two, I bought the engine with his words stating it is a good engine, ready to drop in and drive! Well I sent him the bill for the head and again he is not responding to my calls or emails!! I dont know what to do next, I dont fell I should have to pay all the costs since he basically broke the deal buy selling me a "junk" engine, and telling me it was fixed and good. Oh and the one time he did respond he told me NOT TO BUY ANY PARTS OR DO ANY WORK WITH OUT OKING IT WITH HIM FIRST! I fell that it is my car, my only daily and I dont have time for him not to respond and make me wait on fixing it.. i need it fixed now.. not when ever he feels he has the time, If i need to get it fixed now, I think i should be able to!

Am I wrong? What should I do?

01-08-2007, 07:04 PM
i hate to have to say it, but he seems like a deadbeat...id get a lawyer. You shouldnt have to pay for anything if he told you it was a working engine...do you have all the paperwork for everything, including emails, phone records and conversations?

01-08-2007, 07:14 PM
i wouldnt even talk to him no more i would have my lawyer take care of it

01-08-2007, 07:26 PM
I have all His emails, with the deal and him saying the engine is fine... I really hate to have to take this further. I really wish he would respond! And unfortunatly he is on this board! I dont know his screen name, I know his real name, but dont want to put it up here. He is from here in Colorado and drives a silver alero that had this 3400 in it sc. Oh and I forgot to tell you that this was my first full engine swap... and it def did not go as planned and promised!

01-09-2007, 01:49 PM
He still refuses to respond!! I so wish I new his screen name on here!! I do know his name is KYLE and is from Colorado, drives a silver 01 alero... had one of those rare sc kits on his car....

01-10-2007, 08:11 AM
Hey Jene!

01-10-2007, 10:53 AM
Hey there!! hehehe.... You know how much this trouble this engine has caused me!!

anyways.. after postin this in the forum and another.. i finally got a email response...

01-16-2007, 10:55 AM
i hope everything goes good for you man goodluck!!!