Rear Car Issue [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Rear Car Issue

slickjoe
01-11-2007, 06:49 PM
I've gotten a new exhaust system around a week and a half ago. I do not think the issue started immediately after getting the car back. But have just noticed the noise a few days ago. Whenever I take a right turn (This does not happen when making a left turn) I hear this sort of rolling noise from the back of the car. It sounds like the middle of the rear area to the rear right side of the car. The rolling noise sounds the same as when rolling a wooden pencil on a wood desk. Can anyone help me? I am not sure if it is associately with the exhaust system or not. Please help!

williamGT
01-11-2007, 06:53 PM
If you have the SLP exhaust, that would be the piping hitting the rear control arm. But I could be wrong, please correct me if im wrong guys.

gectek
01-11-2007, 07:00 PM
also could be hitting the exhaust heat shields, look for shiny spots on the aluminum or any worn spots, make sure it is well away from it, because when the engine is in gear it will tend to shift from its park position to apply some torque on the exhaust and make it shift, and making a turn could cause the rubber mounts to make it shift more and make contact with other parts

slickjoe
01-11-2007, 07:13 PM
So what are you saying I shall do? I don't have SLP, I have Magnaflow.

gectek
01-11-2007, 07:15 PM
id make sure there isnt any interference with the car in D, if you can drive it on some ramps and have a trustworthy friend hold the brake and put the parking brake on, see how much it shifts, and then look for interference, then do a good visual of the routing of the exhaust, also see if you can tell which way the exhaust leans when you turn the direction to make the sound, and look around that area

slickjoe
01-11-2007, 07:23 PM
Should I take it back to the place that installed the exhaust and have them fix it?

gectek
01-11-2007, 07:24 PM
id find out where it was first then yah take it back and have them eat the bill

slickjoe
01-11-2007, 07:32 PM
Your all positive it's the Exhaust? It's kind of hard to see exactly what it is. The noise ONLY occurs when making right turns, does not make noise when making left turns.

gectek
01-11-2007, 07:34 PM
well if you can get the car on some stands or ramps or better a lift, then jounce the car only on that side that would get the downward force from the right, meaning the right side, and try to lift on the left and see if anything makes a noise, thats the easiest way to check the susp

a really good detailed visual should be all you need to help identify where it is and what it is

1coop44
01-12-2007, 06:11 AM
To find out if the exhaust is hitting anything . You can just grab ahold of the muffler tip or the pipe that goes into the muffer ( when it's cold & shack it back & forth . If it's hitting anything you'll hear it .

I wouldn't recomend being under the car with it in drive .

gectek
01-12-2007, 10:47 AM
i didnt say get completely under the car, just look, i dont even trust my grandma enough to get under the car when it is in drive

slickjoe
01-12-2007, 12:49 PM
The noise isn't a CLANKING issue nor banging issue. There is a noise that sounds similar to a pencil rolling on a desk. I went underneath the car and wiggles the muffler around and what not. I did not hear the noise. Any other ideas that what it may be? Can it be a part involving the rear wheel? It only makes the noise when I make right turns. I was also on the interstate today, not sure if it's because my mind is on the noise so much, but it seems as if I can slightly hear the noise when moving straight. Not as loud as making right turns though. Any ideas would be great! Thanks!

gectek
01-12-2007, 05:46 PM
i would still look for wear points to see if something is rubbing, and maybe a shop around you has a chassis ear that they can put on the car to more localize the noise.

notsoaveragej0e
01-12-2007, 05:49 PM
Do you have any pencils in your trunk? I hear that is the leading cause of noises like this.

gectek
01-12-2007, 05:52 PM
ah yes i heard about that, i think its the No. 2 TSB isnt it...lol

slickjoe
01-26-2007, 12:19 PM
lol no, for once it's actually empty, no garbage in it. So does anyone have any ideas?

gectek
01-26-2007, 12:22 PM
just any type of shielding should be checked and moved accordingly. i dont think anything else should be in the way, or the pipe might be too close to the rear support frame...just look for any wear marks like i said last time...it might show up