Various Issues [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Various Issues

97BlackGAGT
01-12-2007, 12:54 AM
Ok as stated in my newbie post, I am a newly found owner of a black 97 gt and its got a couple minor electrical problems. First of all, does anyone have a rough estimate of how much it would cost to have the electrical side mirror adjuster replaced? Apparently the old one fell thru somehow and stuck inside the door and all thats left is a hole which sucks ass because i cant adjust the mirrors efficiently. also my power door locks dont do anything..im guessing thats a fuse? anyone wanna help me out. it also had the cd player on theft lock which pisses me off..but im gonna just buy a new one since some of the pain is chipped off this one and i can afford it thanks to holiday pay.

one more thing that i just needa prove someone right/wrong on. my step dad is a moron(i hate to be a harsh jerk but its the truth) and i dont trust him. he tells me 10w-30 oil he uses in his truck is fine for use in my grand am. of course i went and bought the 5w-30 oil just incase because i just plain dont trust his word since he was the one who poured brake fluid in my moms oil line.

oh yeah ONNNNE more thing. My heater blows cold. defroster is fine and obviously AC must be fine since the heater blows slightly cold air.Is this fuse or low freeon?

edit: also does the EST OFF light have anything to do with this? this light comes on every once in a while..

THANKS GUYS sorry for the long ass post and slight disorganation~!:applause:

fat_albert
01-12-2007, 01:22 AM
For the heater, does your engine temp get up or does it stay cold? And the oil, use 5w-30, its thinner and is a bit better for these engines

tjc13
01-12-2007, 08:09 AM
For the power door locks check your fuses as well as relays. I've posted about power door lock problems before, you can find it if you do a search.

gectek
01-12-2007, 12:01 PM
yah freon will have nothing to do with heater, i would check and make sure that the door is moving when you change the temp from cold to hot, it should either be a vacuum operated actuator to move door or an electrically operated motor to move the door, first i would get a good repair manual, like HELM INC or buy a sub. to alldatadiy.com. should always be your first investment, and a very good one at that. more info than you can swing a wrench at

97BlackGAGT
01-12-2007, 05:28 PM
For the heater, does your engine temp get up or does it stay cold? And the oil, use 5w-30, its thinner and is a bit better for these engines

It blows cold no matter what.

thanks for the oil info as well im glad i chose not to but 10w in it

To the other poster, yeah freon was something someone else told me and I was almost sure that was that icy stuff in the bottom of dustoff lol didnt see what that had to do with heat haha

Ajaxus
01-12-2007, 05:48 PM
i just plain dont trust his word since he was the one who poured brake fluid in my moms oil line.

these things can be tricky sometimes, i saw someone almost pour window washer fluid into the brake fluid..and truth be told i woulda made the same mistake with the horrible design of the car...who the fock puts the brake fluid cap behind the window on a hatchback's trunk? heh..

the oil you chose will work just fine, either is dandy really but if you have more questions on it i would suggest directing them to mike jung (that's his name on here too) the guy knows his lube as you can see from his posts if you read them. lol

gectek
01-12-2007, 06:38 PM
i would suggest directing them to mike jung (that's his name on here too) the guy knows his lube as you can see from his posts if you read them. lol

now thats not something i hear every day, but freon is in your car also, its not just a propellant in a spray can. it is what your cars compressor uses to remove heat from the air and provide you with air conditioning. but that still has nothing to do with the heater, but you may have a stopped up heater core, bad controls, bad heater door linkage/actuator, a combination of these, or a few other probs with the heater lines

fat_albert
01-12-2007, 07:18 PM
It blows cold no matter what.

thanks for the oil info as well im glad i chose not to but 10w in it

To the other poster, yeah freon was something someone else told me and I was almost sure that was that icy stuff in the bottom of dustoff lol didnt see what that had to do with heat haha

I'm asking if your engine temp heats up not the air temp. If the engine is cold all the time than its the thermostat stuck upen.

97BlackGAGT
01-13-2007, 02:49 AM
now thats not something i hear every day, but freon is in your car also, its not just a propellant in a spray can. it is what your cars compressor uses to remove heat from the air and provide you with air conditioning. but that still has nothing to do with the heater, but you may have a stopped up heater core, bad controls, bad heater door linkage/actuator, a combination of these, or a few other probs with the heater lines

Thats what I was gettin at mate :) but thanks for the info.

97BlackGAGT
01-13-2007, 02:49 AM
I'm asking if your engine temp heats up not the air temp. If the engine is cold all the time than its the thermostat stuck upen.
No idea, this is only the second day Ive had it, havent checked yet. I will next time I drive it.

GrandAmGT1996
01-17-2007, 04:25 PM
The ETS Light...there should be a button on the side of your shifter, if you push that, that will control your traction control. ETS Off will mean that your traction control is off, and if you push it and the ETS Off light dissapears, that means your traction control is on.

White99GAGT
01-17-2007, 04:34 PM
Might want to check to see if the car has coolant before you take it out for a drive. And when you do take it out for a drive, keep an eye on the gauges. But as others have stated it could be a stuck t-stat or heater core.

As for the door locks, are both the driver side and passenger side switch not working? If it was only one side, I would tend to think it is the switch itself.

If the old mirror adjuster fell inside the door, couldn't you take off the door panel to get it. Either way your going to need the harness. Is this what you need, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-grand-am-gt-power-mirror-switch-1997-98_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33649QQhashZitem2600 25103370QQihZ016QQitemZ260025103370QQrdZ1QQsspagen ameZWDVW

97BlackGAGT
01-18-2007, 12:04 AM
Alright coolant and all that stuff is good everything is pretty much copacetic. Both locks arent working, and we have already replaced the heater fuse which was burnt, and still no heater. Im really just waiting to take it to the AAA diagnostics center..we have an appointment on the 31st. As of now im not gonna tweak about the whole mirror thing, they are still workable. Thanks for all your help so far guys.