can LIM leak oil? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : can LIM leak oil?

rlandis
01-15-2007, 10:32 AM
Is it possible for the lim to leak oil at a very slow rate? I usually lose about 1/2 a quart to a quart of oil every 3k miles. I can see where the oil is seeping down the lim on the heads on both sides and my oil pan is wet all over. It doesn't drip on the ground tho which I think is kinda odd.

Exodus
01-15-2007, 10:54 AM
The engine is very hot and if there is a slow leak, it will evaporate before it'll ever hit the ground. Be cautious and check your oil to see if there is anti freeze in there. That'll kill your engine.

Malaclypse
01-15-2007, 11:28 AM
Yeah. An engine can leak oil from where the valley seals to the lower intake.

This usually happens over time or from the previous repair being done without using the proper sealent.

That black or dark gray RTV silicone doesn't always hold as it should. The best stuff to use that I've seen is GM's Engine assembly adhesive. I think the orange permatex works fine as well. Just have to apply enough of whatever quality sealent you're using when installing the intake.

rlandis
01-16-2007, 09:43 AM
Yeah I've checked my oil its clean. Its been leaking for a while now probly 6months to a year just never really worried about it. Do you guys suggest replacing it now or just wait till it gets worse then replace it? Thanks guys.

coupe
01-16-2007, 09:53 AM
There is an o-ring in the oil pump drive shaft that is notorious for leaking on these engines. That may be your problem, well, at least thats my problem lol

Exodus
01-16-2007, 10:01 AM
Expect that leak to be a recurrence.

rlandis
01-17-2007, 08:20 AM
Yeah its not the oil-pump shaft o-ring I had that problem on my 3.1cavalier and it leaked oil like a bitch. If its a recurring problem i'll just wait till the intake gasket starts leakin antifreeze to change it. thanks

Exodus
01-17-2007, 08:37 AM
Not in all cases. Some g-ams never get a LIM leak, alot do them and then it happens again down the line. Im one of those unfortunates, 2nd time happened b/4 this past x-mas.

coupe
01-17-2007, 08:42 AM
Yeah its not the oil-pump shaft o-ring I had that problem on my 3.1cavalier and it leaked oil like a bitch. If its a recurring problem i'll just wait till the intake gasket starts leakin antifreeze to change it. thanks

Actually its a very very very very slow leak.