Intermittent Stalling and No starting Problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent Stalling and No starting Problem

bstraubGT
01-18-2007, 04:59 AM
About 2 weeks ago I was driving home...doing about 35mph and the engine just died on me. No rough sputter or anything...just shut off as if I had turned the key off. I was able to wrestle it off the road. I tried to start it and it would crank but would not fire up. After about 10 minutes the car decided it wanted to start and I was able to get home fine. I've read about that Security thing but that light wasn't flashing so that wasn't it. I took it to my mechanic and he found the intake was leaking and the oil from the leak had gotten into the Camshaft and Crankshaft sensors. So I had him reseal the intake and replace both of those two sensors. Car runs good for a couple days until yesterday. I started the car, and as soon as I put it into reverse the engine died on me. It didn't start the first time but it did start the second time I tried. And then on the way home I stopped to get gas. After filling up the car it didn't want to start the first time. So I switched the key to off for a few seconds and then back to on. And here is when it got really weird...the dash lights cames on(SES, battery, etc) but the 3 or 4 dings that you usually hear did not happen and the fuel pump hum was not their either. After the key being in the on position for about 15 seconds it finally dinged those couple times and the fuel pump hummed and the car started that time. So anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

2002 Grand AM GT1 85,000 miles

coupe
01-18-2007, 05:47 AM
Battery could be dying
Dirty battery terminal connections
Fuel pump could be dying (i vote for this one)

Sprucegagt
01-18-2007, 06:30 AM
I want to say it sounds like an ignition switch problem, but I'm not sure. You could also have a clogged fuel filter. One other thing, your camshaft and crankshaft sensors are made to be used in and around oil. I seriously doubt they were fouled from oil contamination.

bstraubGT
01-18-2007, 06:43 AM
Ignition Switch sounds like it could be a culprit. I had the fuel filter change last august and the fuel pump has been tested. Did that becasue I was having a problem last August where I could step on the accelerator and the car wouldn't' respond and then all of the sudden it would kick in and go. Turned out to be a bad catalytic converter. Doesn't mean the fuel pump isn't dying though. In talking to my mechanic he is leaning towards either the ignition switch or the Ignition Control Module.

coupe
01-18-2007, 06:51 AM
Ussually when you have a problem with the ignition cylinder or the ignition module it trips the passlock. Since your security light isnt coming on im going to *assume* that you dont have a problem with either one of those things.

I do know that GA's and GP's are very weird when it comes to the battery and its connections. Makes the vehicles do very strange things.

tomh
01-18-2007, 07:19 AM
the numb nuts at bestbuy stripped my battery terminal once... made the wire lose, and it gave me running/starting problems

bstraubGT
01-18-2007, 08:46 AM
It is the original battery so it has 4+ years and 85000 miles. Wouldn't cost me much to run out and buy a new one...maybe i'll do that.

coupe
01-18-2007, 08:59 AM
It is the original battery so it has 4+ years and 85000 miles. Wouldn't cost me much to run out and buy a new one...maybe i'll do that.

Now that you say its the original im leaning even more towards the battery being the culprit. Even if it isnt the battery and you replace it it wont be a waiste of money since its the original.

MMGT1
01-18-2007, 09:40 AM
Do the battery. Seen some crazy things with a bad battery!!

bstraubGT
01-21-2007, 08:15 PM
I replaced the battery today...we'll see how it runs this week and i'll give you a status update. Thanks for everyone's help.

-Brad

gectek
01-21-2007, 11:21 PM
does it run then good for a while then start to maybe backfire or make bad noise, then no matter how much you hit the acc pedal it acts like its not making any power and starts to die, then totally dies

bstraubGT
01-22-2007, 04:22 AM
Nope...doesn't do that. When it died the couple times it did...it died quick. It acted like I had turned the key off....just went right out.

bstraubGT
01-25-2007, 03:10 PM
Ok...update...it died on the way home again. Was accelerating and the engine just cut off. Got it to the side of the road, put it in park, pulled key out put it back in and then it started right back up. So now that we know the battery wasn't the culprit what should I check next?

blk_grn_97GT
01-25-2007, 05:17 PM
i had similar problems with my ignition switch, right after they did the recall on my car for it i had problems exactly like yours, not saying it is the same thing but really sounds like that switch.

gectek
01-25-2007, 05:57 PM
my money says fuel pump still, but ignition sw is a close 2nd

MMGT1
01-26-2007, 06:48 AM
Not throwing any codes when this happens??

bstraubGT
01-26-2007, 07:31 AM
No Check Engine lights and no codes.

redfox
01-26-2007, 07:55 AM
IT IS THE FUEL PUMP!!!!!! get the fuel pressure tested. mine did the same thing...I was evacing for a hurricane at the time mine decided to take a Sh!t

bstraubGT
01-26-2007, 08:35 AM
How much should it cost to replace the fuel pump?

gectek
01-26-2007, 12:20 PM
fuel pump from orellys, 250, did my own install, wix fuel filter about $12. if you DIY you will save alot of money, and learn that a half tank of gas is VERY heavy, drain it first. and also relieve the fuel press, both at the schrader valve on the fuel rail, and by taking the Fuel pump relay out and running the engine, or just when it dies, crank it a few times and it should be bled off

coupe
01-26-2007, 12:29 PM
Hahaha of course its heavy, its ~7 gallons.

gectek
01-26-2007, 12:35 PM
and at about 7.5 lbs per gal or so, thats a million pounds when it is sitting on ur chest cuz ur under the car working with a screw jack on the other side and its melting the pavement above you because the gas is spilling and your hair is sticking to it. and oh yah lets not forget the dirt and rocks on top and fall in ur face....lol

Sprucegagt
01-26-2007, 01:04 PM
That's why you get a second jack and lower the tank with it. ;)
The job is easy when your prepared.

gectek
01-26-2007, 01:09 PM
yah, well it was just me and i live 5 miles from civilization, and i only had 1 jack...oh well, my pain, your gain

next up, explaining to your barber why you need a buzz haircut because the tar wont come off your head...lol

MMGT1
01-27-2007, 11:14 AM
........too much :)

Shescrafty7
02-02-2007, 08:41 AM
Was there ever an update to the intermittent stalling/starting problems situation? I'm having the same problems with my 2002 Grand Am GT1 and have been to 2 mechanics already, no one can diagnose the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

bergie44
09-07-2008, 11:09 AM
I am having the same problem. The car will suddenly die as if the ignition switch was shut off. After setting a while the car would sometimes start. I finally had the car at home when this happened. Checked the fuel pressure, 40 psi (99 GAGT) so that is fine. Installed a new Fuel Filter.
I checked the spark plugs for fire and there is no spark going to the plugs. Replaced the spark plug wires, ignition coils, and the ignition module. I checked the purple and yellow wire all the way down. The battery is new. I checked and cleaned all the battery posts.There is no security light flashing, and it does not throw any codes.
The ignition switch and the electrical block the ignition plugs into was replaced by a dealer also.

This problem is so random it is almost impossible to track down. It may run for a week with no problem or it may happen every day. Seldom in the driveway where I can check it.

I am sure is is a case of no spark from the coils/ignition control module. But what would cause that?

BTW it occurs at highway speed and at 30mph. It does not seem to matter what speed it is going

jordGT
09-07-2008, 11:27 AM
Im kinda having the same problem. But my cars not starting at all..!! rotates but nothing. No security light flashing ive tryed the passlock reset wait in the on position for 11 min then try. Ive done that like 5 times! Replaced the fuel filter battery ok dies really fast tho, i mean really fast! Maybe thats my issue, but still when i got the charger on it nothing! Hmmmmmm Need Help!!!!