rough idleing and hesitation [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : rough idleing and hesitation

sjones419
01-22-2007, 01:44 PM
Right before christmas i replaced my spark plugs and in the process broke one of the plug wires. So i just replaced that one wire and not any of the other ones. Could that be causing the rough idleing and noticeable hesitation and horsepower loss?

bstraubGT
01-22-2007, 02:55 PM
What kind of hesitation do you have? I had an issue last year where I could step on the gas and it would have virtually no power then all of the sudden it would surge forward. Turns out my catalytic converter was bad.

sjones419
01-23-2007, 10:22 AM
I would hit the gas and it would start to accelerate but only as if i was at half throttle than at full and then it would start to accelerate alot harder but i can still tell it isnt accelerating as hard as it usually does.

bstraubGT
01-23-2007, 10:39 AM
Yeah...that doesn't sound like my problem that I had. I could put the throttle all the way down and would have almost no acceleration at all. Quick stupid question...did you check the sir filter to make sure that isn't super clogged? I always find cleaning the K&M I have makes it better.

sjones419
01-23-2007, 10:44 AM
i cleaned it when i changed my plugs

MMGT1
01-23-2007, 06:00 PM
stupid comment:

Have you checked that ALL of your plug wires are properly affixed to the plugs. Those back 3 can be a pain in the ass! You migt think it is on and may have missed it. Although you should have thrown a code by now??
Just a guess anyway

gectek
01-23-2007, 08:25 PM
well are you sure you didnt over oil your filter, that is a common problem. i would take the MAF cleaner and give ur MAF a good hose down. Maybe you cracked a plug on accident, or just got one dirty on the plus end. and also did u use dielectric grease in the boots when you put them on the coils and the plugs.

sjones419
01-23-2007, 08:28 PM
stupid comment:

Have you checked that ALL of your plug wires are properly affixed to the plugs. Those back 3 can be a pain in the ass! You migt think it is on and may have missed it. Although you should have thrown a code by now??
Just a guess anyway

I got a service engine soon code a week or so ago but it went away by itself which was weird.

sjones419
01-23-2007, 08:31 PM
well are you sure you didnt over oil your filter, that is a common problem. i would take the MAF cleaner and give ur MAF a good hose down. Maybe you cracked a plug on accident, or just got one dirty on the plus end. and also did u use dielectric grease in the boots when you put them on the coils and the plugs.

I used the grease on all the plugs. Where can i get MAF cleaner? Would droping one cause any prolems cus i did drop the one going into the number 5 cylinder when i was putting them in.

gectek
01-23-2007, 08:32 PM
yah, might be bad prob with the plug, id check it out. and also you can get the crc MAF cleaner from any oreillys or auto zone, just make sure it is MAF cleaner and not carb clean or brake clean

it is VERY easy to mess up the plug, and not be able to see it, because the electrode is very fragile, which is french for freakin weak sauce man

Sprucegagt
01-23-2007, 09:43 PM
I used the grease on all the plugs. Where can i get MAF cleaner? Would droping one cause any prolems cus i did drop the one going into the number 5 cylinder when i was putting them in.

Dropped spark plugs should never be used. The insulation can crack internally making the plug misfire.

ryanbgb22
01-24-2007, 07:51 AM
did you have your codes read yet. I think that when they read your codes they could tell you if its a misfire and exactly what cylinder it is. If you get them read and its a #5 misfire theres your problem.

MMGT1
01-24-2007, 12:39 PM
...cheap n' quick

Get a new plug and replace the one you dropped. See if it works. If not, get the codes pulled as Ryan said above^^^^
The light may be off, but the VCM has it in memory....