Lighting Ideas / Questions [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Ideas / Questions

SBUBandit
01-24-2007, 07:43 AM
Drove my 95 Grand Am SE last night for the first time in the dark. Definitely requires some changes. I have some ideas of what I'd like to do, any ideas/help anyone can give me would be appreciated. Especially if anyone has done any or all of these mods on a similar Grand Am.

1. Stock foglights are a joke, need to be way brighter
2. Since the low/high beams are separate bulbs, I'd like to have the low beams stay on when i turn on the highs. I know alot of people do this to GM trucks, I think it would work pretty good
3. Foglights don't stay on with high beams, so I'd like to change that, but I want to keep the stock fog light switch.
4. I plan to ut much brighter high beams and probably silverstar lows

timka86
01-24-2007, 07:56 AM
go with HID's. especiaclly projectors, it's a cool mod. It looks good, and it's much better lighting. Once you get HID's, you'll never go back.

pyro
01-24-2007, 08:13 AM
definately go with HID's like tim said, but low beams only. Check out www.pilothid.com and their 9006 bulbs, they fit your car. As for the fogs staying on while the highs are, just wire them into a relay with its own power and keep the ground the same, that will allow you to use the stock switch. Also, www.gaownersclub.com is geared more towards the pre-99 grand am's so they could probably help you more. FYI

SBUBandit
01-24-2007, 08:43 AM
I agree with you guys completely on HID, but since this is a $750 dollar car, I don't really want to put $200 headlights on it. My next newer car will definitely be getting HIDs but for now I plan to put something along the lines of a Silverstar or something for low beams, and maybe some 100W high beams, since they don't get used nearly as much, then I am thinking if I can find good enough wiring diagrams for this car, I'll run a wire from the high beam switch to the relay that turns on the low beams, so when you hit the high beams, they both come on. THen like you said, I'll rewire the fogs, and probably replace them with some similar looking lights that have glass lenses so they can handle a little more heat, and put some nice 55W H3 bulbs in. I think that combination would help greatly, as well as reaiming the headlights, apparently the guy i bought it from was into spotting gophers in the left ditch, and owlspotting in the trees on the right side.

Thats my plan so far, but I'll need to dig up some decent diagrams to do it

Bryan
01-24-2007, 08:49 AM
I had Silverstars and they were definitely a pretty good upgrade for a good price. I think I seen Silverstar Ultras so maybe take a look at that. Just my .02 :)

ryanbgb22
01-24-2007, 08:53 AM
i got a set of 9006 hids that came off a car and were only used for about 6 months. I would possibly be willing to sell them for around $100.

timka86
01-25-2007, 08:25 AM
You can take HID's off your car and put them on the next car you get, it's not a permanent mod. I had my HID kit on my first beater, and then i put it on my grand am. It's a "plug-n-play", but you know grand am's, issues always, but nothing major.