thermostat issue? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : thermostat issue?

drakesrevenge
01-25-2007, 08:49 AM
the last couple of days my blower has't been putting hot air out until my car gets above 240 degrees. it will warm up to normal operating temp, i'll get in and start to drive it and the air from the vents is still cold. i get about 1/2 mile from my house and the temp shoots up to the 240 to 260 degree range. then, all of a sudden i'll have hot air from the vents and the temp will go back down to normal, all within about 10 seconds from getting in the higher temps, then everything is fine.

bad thermostat? anyone else had this problem? what could it be

i'm worried!

ihatemygrandamg
01-26-2007, 03:42 AM
Uh oh it seems like your having the same problem I was; mine turned out to be a bad head gasket. It would drive normal then when I got around normal driving temps it would overheat up to 260*, then go back down and be fine. Check the heater core,and if youve done anything to the cooling system lately make sure the air is bled out correctly. I doubt its the tstat.

I noticed that when I let the car warm up to reg driving temps before driving it that it wouldnt overheat.

brim
01-31-2007, 08:40 AM
check your coolant level too, sound dummyish but you never know

not enough can make it tough to get warm through the core, and of course make the motor overheat under load

drakesrevenge
01-31-2007, 09:19 AM
bled all the air out of the system, everything is A-OKAY!

ihatemygrandamg
02-02-2007, 03:10 AM
Glad to see you fixed it and it was only simple.