remove entire dash? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : remove entire dash?

sjones419
01-25-2007, 12:33 PM
Has anyone or does anyone know where i can find a descrip. on how to remove the entire dashboard of a 03 GAGT?

coupe
01-25-2007, 01:08 PM
All i know is it would be a PITA

sjones419
01-25-2007, 01:09 PM
true dat..... but it would be sweet if i could

coupe
01-25-2007, 01:15 PM
Why would you want to anyway?

Rich
01-25-2007, 01:17 PM
i dont think theres a how to on here. youd probably be better off buying a haynes manual. it tells you in there.

99GTCoupe
01-25-2007, 01:17 PM
Yeah, mine is kinda bending up in one spot at the end near the windshield and also around the gauge trim. It's not horrible, but something I could look into replacing eventually. I definately agree it would be a MAJOR PITA, especially since the dashes on the GA are FREAKING HUGE and all one piece!

sjones419
01-25-2007, 01:18 PM
i could proboly figure it out eventually on my own but i dont really want to mess anything up and if anyone has done it before some input would be great. If i did decide to do it by myself, the main thing that would worry me is the passenger and mabey the driver side air bag. By removing the dash could i possibly trigger one of them?

sjones419
01-25-2007, 01:19 PM
Why would you want to anyway?

Paint

coupe
01-25-2007, 01:24 PM
Paint

I dont think it would be worth the effort.
Painting it alone would be a major PITA, let alone getting it out.

notsoaveragej0e
01-25-2007, 01:54 PM
Don't forget, getting it out is only half the battle- you would still have to put it all back together seamlessly once painted.

Also, you can't discharge the airbag by messing with it; air bags are deployed only when the computer sends an electric current to the bag and it tells it to detonate.

sjones419
01-25-2007, 02:51 PM
Don't forget, getting it out is only half the battle- you would still have to put it all back together seamlessly once painted.

Also, you can't discharge the airbag by messing with it; air bags are deployed only when the computer sends an electric current to the bag and it tells it to detonate.

All that takes is alot of pictures, a couple sheets of paper, lots of sandwich bags, a sharpie, patience, and ALOT of organizaion.

djmmcee
07-26-2007, 06:55 AM
Wow. My 2001 dash is doing exactly the same thing as 99GTCoupe's

DrFabulous
07-26-2007, 07:00 AM
You better really want to paint your dash lol

I thought someone dyed theirs while it was still in the car... yeah

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52955&highlight=dye+dash

Archangel
07-26-2007, 07:21 AM
My dash is also bended upwards where it meets the windshield. I've seen some other GAs with the same problem. Is it glued from the factory? I wonder if there's a glue strong enough to stick it back the way it was.

hotcarmaster12
07-29-2007, 10:00 PM
Mine is also lifted by the windshield, but mine is alot worse because it is hot where I live and I have no garage so I think the sun melted everything

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
08-27-2007, 07:51 PM
Mine Lifts At It's Edge In A Few Areas Along The Top Back Of Dash Running Along The Lower Blk Tint Of The Winshield. Not So Bad As Long As It Stays Below The Blk Tint At Bottom Of Winshield .

Noticed It After My Dash Was Put Back Into The Car After Dealer Did Extensive Ac Work. It ( May ) Have Been There Before They Took Dash Out . I Just Never Paid Any Attention.

Now The Hotter The Day The More It Edges Up Closer To The Top Of That Lower Winshield Tint Area, Then Drops Down Alot Not Completely Colder It Is.

Still Would Like To Fix It With Out Taking Dash Out. I Thought Of Getting A Long Strip Of Blk Stiff Foam Trim At The Right Thickness ( Thickness Unknown ) And Sticking It To The Winshield Below The Tint Line Area .

Thus Depending On Thickness And Stiffness Of The Foam Strip It Will Atleast Push The Rising Parts Of The Dash Down.

And Likely Not Look Too Bad. Also The Foam Strip Should Be Just Soft Or Flexable Enough So As To Not Damage The Back / Top Edge Of The Dash . And Not The Glass And Easy To Remove Or Replace Later.

Then There Is The Dash Gap On Drivers Side By Vin Tag.

I Checked Many Ga's And All Seem To Have It Same Area And Some Worse Then Others . But I Live With That. Too Bad You Could Not Just Tighten The Dash Up On Drivers Side .

notsoaveragej0e
08-27-2007, 08:36 PM
I think yours are my favorite posts, CUSTOM.

geldartb
08-27-2007, 08:58 PM
i painted my dash while it was in the car. i just lined around the windshield with printer paper about halfway up the windshield. no overspray.

Panacea
08-27-2007, 09:19 PM
All I know is that the dash came preassembled from the factory and was put into the car through the door... So, I have no idea how you'd get it out.

PhantomLover007
08-27-2007, 09:23 PM
Would it be in Chilton's or Haynes?

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
08-27-2007, 09:41 PM
i know i know the capital letter on each word or the lenght of the post , right ? i have no caps button on. and my stuff can be long because i have a hard time puttting words together properly to get the point out i want to make . i do what i can .

but atleast you did not trash me something i am all to use to on this and only this website . appreciate the fact you did not . i found your statement to be brief but funny, notsoaveragejoe. thanks..

so what do you all think of my idea of fixing up to look better that back>top edge of dash lifting problem.