occassional missfire on #3 [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : occassional missfire on #3

03blackburb
01-28-2007, 10:41 AM
2003 3400 GA with 90 K on the clock. It occassionally (like once every couple of weeks) throws a random miss fire on cyl #3 code. Originally was told that it was the injector. Replace the injector. Couple of weeks latter, it threw it again. Have been swapping stuff, Swapped #2 and #3 plugs, then the coil packs now Just swapped #3 and #5 plug wires. Have cleared the codes when each change has been done. The plug wires check fine wing a ohm meter.

Also, when in park reving the engine up it will hit about 3800 rpm and then start to surge between 4000 and 3200 rpm.

Need some thoughts.

lone_wolf025
01-28-2007, 10:56 AM
Ok random misfire on just one cylinder. You've replaced the injector, swapped plugs, wires, and coil packs. I'd say you got two options left. Check the mechanical condition of the cylinder (compression and leak down test) also make sure that the injector is getting a proper signal from the pcm. Beyond that its gonna be a royal pain to hunt down the cause of one random misfire.

As for the revving in park thats normal. Its to keep you from damaging the engine by over revving it under no load. Basically No Load (neutral or park standstill) + High revs = BAD

drumking1721
01-28-2007, 11:02 AM
ummm i hate to like "steal" this thread...ive kinda been havin the same problem on cylinder 2. Only when its wet out,or when my tires spin from it being wet out.My car misfires. My buddy and i were driving around last night and it was snowing pretty good and my car started misfiring,pulled over opened the hood,and the spark was going tot he heat sheild on my header rather than to the spark plug,we fixed that and was running good,just got home and its wet out and my car lost traction and spun the tires and misfired a little,does anyone know what that is from?

intence
01-28-2007, 11:03 AM
What did the plug look like when you took it out, it's possible that you put another bad plug in there.

outkast
01-28-2007, 11:04 AM
ummm i hate to like "steal" this thread...ive kinda been havin the same problem on cylinder 2. Only when its wet out,or when my tires spin from it being wet out.My car misfires. My buddy and i were driving around last night and it was snowing pretty good and my car started misfiring,pulled over opened the hood,and the spark was going tot he heat sheild on my header rather than to the spark plug,we fixed that and was running good,just got home and its wet out and my car lost traction and spun the tires and misfired a little,does anyone know what that is from?

thats a bad plug wire and or plug...do some plugs and wires...soon if that keeps grounding all the time, you can hurt your coil packs...

drumking1721
01-28-2007, 11:09 AM
thing is it was all new in september,i have the MSDs....i dont wanna have to get a new set.and last time i checked the plug it was good

outkast
01-28-2007, 11:10 AM
it prolly melted through on your header....trust me...if you saw spark comming out of your wire...its bad..

drumking1721
01-28-2007, 11:17 AM
well yea i know that....the wire didnt melt. I had put electrical tape on it b4 and it had come un down and the spark was coming off that to the heat sheild. No burn marks or anything on the boot. Idk the plug may be bad now.I couldnt tell ya bc we have like a foot of snow out rightnow. I mean it ran smooth this morning,just when i spun the tires is started misfiring a little...

outkast
01-28-2007, 11:18 AM
electrical tape won't fix a plug wire....

drumking1721
01-28-2007, 11:24 AM
that i know,but i cant do anything about it until the snow is gone

drumking1721
01-28-2007, 11:50 AM
im just gonna get a new set of wires...i just took out the 2,4,6 plus and 2 and 4 had gas on them,so my wires on 2 and 4 keep grounding out,does anyone know where i can just get two wires instead of a whole new set?

gectek
01-28-2007, 02:18 PM
take the wires to ur nearest auto parts store, they have just individual wires, and also about the other cyl 3 misfire, how did you swap the coils...swap places like the 6/3 w/ 2/5 and also it can be the ICM thatll do that, it uses diff drivers for each signal, and can just go bad on 1 cyl, i know cuz it happened to me. make sure u use the dielectric grease on all the elec connections, including the primary posts on the bottom of the coils. and if they are MSD coils, they have a 1 yr warranty, just take em back and get 3 new ones, thats what i did.

03blackburb
01-28-2007, 02:30 PM
Yes, swapped the 2/6 with the 3/5 packs. these are the original packs.
Hard driving does not cause the code. It is being thrown by just normal driving. Also, being in central texas moisture is NOT an issue. We have very little and none when the code gets thrown.

gectek
01-28-2007, 02:36 PM
how far are you away from lubbock? maybe i could take a look

03blackburb
01-28-2007, 02:45 PM
round Rock. Very seldom get up in that area. But thanks.

gectek
01-28-2007, 02:48 PM
i think i know someone from round rock, u know a guy named tristan? he goes to tech now, and as for the coil packs you mean you switched the 2/5 pack with the 3/6 pack correct, because u put the numbers kinda funny on there, and if that dont work, and the plug wires didnt work, and changing out the plug didnt work, then i would clean the MAF also, i had a bad maf and bad 3/6 coil that both led to my mifiring on cyl 3.

drumking1721
01-28-2007, 05:20 PM
k so yea went for another drive...it misfires in the lower gears...like when im just getting to go and the tire slips a little....it misfires in low RPM

gectek
01-28-2007, 05:28 PM
idk, sounds like a little more than just a bad injector or anything like that, may be a bad camshaft or crank pos sensor, but does it do it all the time now, cuz you said 2 diff things, or only when the tires slip. or maybe a bad IC module.

outkast
01-28-2007, 06:15 PM
My buddy and i were driving around last night and it was snowing pretty good and my car started misfiring,pulled over opened the hood,and the spark was going tot he heat sheild on my header rather than to the spark plug,we fixed that and was running good

drumking1721
01-28-2007, 08:05 PM
it started when i put the new wires on back in sept. Only when it was wet out and the water came in under the hood and hit the boot. So the spark never was getting the real spark amount. I mean when my car runs normal i notice no loss of power and my A/f ratio is great. Its just when its nasty out,ie the last couple days it runs bad. LIke last night with it messing up it misfires when its wet out AND when i loose traction hit ice or snow in low RPM

drumking1721
01-28-2007, 08:13 PM
i know its not the crank or any of that. The car runs great when its not misfiring.I took out the plugs today and they had a wee bit on fuel on them from the gas not being burned off....so yea....

Sprucegagt
01-29-2007, 06:24 AM
WOW! I'm surprised that NO ONE here knows why his car is missing when the tires are slipping. Instead all of you are just tossing up anything because you really don't know. Come on. Some of you are not newbs anymore. I'll give you a hint. It's a standard feature on all 99 - 05 GAGTs.
ETS

As for the miss when its wet outside. Well that sounds like a moisture problem. Either replace the plug wire boot or change the whole wire.

drakesrevenge
01-29-2007, 07:34 AM
i had a misfire before, it turns out that i didn't seat the spark plug all the way in, it got cross-threaded. got it chased and then the spark plug went in fine. never had a misfire since.

gectek
01-29-2007, 10:37 AM
well that was just like the other question el nino posted as to why his car would take a crap when he was trying to do burnouts, but everyone just automatically thinks that they would take the ets off if they were going to spin the tires. or at least have it disabled.....so that begs the ?

do u disable the ETS when u spin the tires

Sprucegagt
01-29-2007, 11:47 AM
The ETS system works by disabling injectors in progressive fashion until traction is restored. So if your trying to do burnouts while ETS is on, then yeah, your car will take a dump when doing this.

As for disabling it. Please tell me your asking this after trying to push the button first.

gectek
01-29-2007, 01:57 PM
yah, i forgot to turn mine off once and went to spin the tires in the hole to take the trash off, well the crowd thought it was funny when my car up and took a dump

NEVER AGAIN

drumking1721
01-29-2007, 02:34 PM
WOW! I'm surprised that NO ONE here knows why his car is missing when the tires are slipping. Instead all of you are just tossing up anything because you really don't know. Come on. Some of you are not newbs anymore. I'll give you a hint. It's a standard feature on all 99 - 05 GAGTs.
ETS

As for the miss when its wet outside. Well that sounds like a moisture problem. Either replace the plug wire boot or change the whole wire.

THANK YOU,i wasnt listenin to them really....i had a feeling it was the ets,i just wasnt sure and was WAITING for someone to say it...i love you much

drumking1721
01-29-2007, 02:36 PM
i thought all were off the wall,i knew it was something simple,but im the type of guy who needs to be reassured about everything and doesnt say it

gectek
01-29-2007, 02:37 PM
ok, well left field here i come...why didnt you try the spinning tires without the ets on and see if it happened then?

i guess you cant assume anything around here...

drumking1721
01-29-2007, 02:39 PM
Im slightly retarded

drumking1721
01-29-2007, 02:40 PM
I think of stuff and never follow through with it.Like oh yea maybe i should try this then forget it 10 seconds later

gectek
01-29-2007, 02:41 PM
thats about the only thing my cell phone is good for, voice recorder and memo

drumking1721
01-29-2007, 02:44 PM
i SHOULD use that,but i forget i have a voice recorder on there.....

03blackburb
02-01-2007, 07:05 PM
Well, it threw the randon missfire on cyl #3 again. No Change.

To recap, new injector, swapped 2/5 and 3/6 oil packs, #3 and #2 plugs, finally swapped #3 and #5 wires. The codes have been cleared during each swap.
The engine runs fine, with no visiable miss or loss of power.

Nothing out of the ordinary. Kind of leads me to lean towards a computer issue instead internal engine hardware.

Need some further ideas. HELP!

Sprucegagt
02-01-2007, 09:23 PM
Have you switched out the ICM or run a compression test on cyl #3?

03blackburb
02-01-2007, 10:48 PM
Will give the compression test a shot sometime over the next 2 weekends. The next 5 days are going to be rough as I am on call 24/7 and it's the wife's bday today. So have to do the special something for her.
Will let you know what the compression check shows when I finally get to it. THANKS.

RODAN
05-18-2007, 07:28 PM
You must had one hell of a good time on your wife's B'Day.

blk_grn_97GT
05-23-2007, 06:51 PM
i have had the cylinder #3 random missfire for about 4 months and have checked everything from injectors to plugs, wires and coils and found nothing wrong and even connected the tech 2 scanner and found nothing except random #3 missfire. today my car wouldn't start and i used some water and baking soda on the battery cable and found that my positive battery cable was corroded all the way through, i tried getting one from the dealership for a '97 3100 and it had been discontinued so i went to advanced auto and got a positive and auxiliary for like 8 bucks and i haven't had a problem since.

RAZE
11-15-2007, 07:41 AM
You must had one hell of a good time on your wife's B'Day.

lol lol lol

Any update on this? I'm having a similar problem on my GP.

whoisryan
11-15-2007, 09:56 AM
just want to say i had the exact same problem... go to a GM dealer and pick somthing up called Top engine cleaner... they will tell you not to put it in your gass tank... do it anyway ( the entire bottle ) and it got rid of the missfire. havent seen that code since

timka86
11-15-2007, 10:15 AM
i have an a random misfire on cyl 1, sometimes wont show for a month, and then comes back.

I replaces, plugs, wires, injector, tested injector wires, tried cleaners, replaced both crank sensors. then looked at the back of the block, below 1, and it's glistening. not soaking, but slicked wet, like oil.

head gasket didn't seal right, i know this cuz i've had this since I pulled the heads off and been having this misfire since then.

check to see if the block is wet just under cyl 3, you should be able to see if you take the passenger front wheel off, or get under the car.

you may have blown it. if you've done everything else, may as well check.