Help! LIM question? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Help! LIM question?

Emerica12124
02-01-2007, 08:29 PM
I am almost done taking the lower intake manifold off. The only problem is taha i cant get to the last valve cover bolt in the back that is in the little space. Ive tried everything to get to it. I was going to remove that bracket that is right behind it. Before i did that i just wanted to make sure there isnt an easier way to get the bolt out. Also ive tried to get the LIM loose but it wont budge. Any trick on getting it loose? I need answers asap. Thanks

O1GAGT
02-01-2007, 08:38 PM
Your best bet is to remove the alternator bracket. You will also have to remove the tensioner as it holds the bracket on. Shouldn't take more than 20 minutes at the most to remove it

After you have all 8 LIM bolts out you might wrap a towel around a pry bar and put it in one of the ports to get some leverage. **Make sure you wrap the pry bar in something so you don't gouge the aluminum manifold**

Remember upon re installation you will want to put a dab of locktite on each lim bolt unless you bought new ones. Also let the RTV sealant dry over night, I have an alternative to using the RTV which works quite well. I ordered a sheet of silicone rubber and cut it to the shape of the valley, then I sealed the edges with RTV.

Dave Carney
02-02-2007, 06:58 AM
Yes, definitely pull the alternator bracket, it's simple.

dna_dan
02-02-2007, 01:01 PM
Yea the bracket needs to go.

As for the bolt itself, I used a socket with a universal joint extension on it. Also you could use an open end wrench but you can't really measure the torque that way.

I used rtv on the bolt threads. Even with loktite, I have seen oil seepage work it's way up to the screw head and make a motor a sludgy mess.

Definitely let that stuff dry to firmness overnight. that's just a good rule of thumb.

digitalballz
02-02-2007, 06:17 PM
Who the hell has time to let this stuff dry overnight?? I guess if your working at home. I just did head gaskets on a 97 chevy van with the 5.7 in it and shipped it out a couple hours after i was done. As soon as i started it we called the customer to let him know it was done.

dna_dan
02-02-2007, 06:45 PM
I hear you, I personally rented a car when I did mine just to make sure it dried overnight. The LIM job is not very easy, nor one that I wanted to do multiple times. You botch this one up and it's bye bye motor.

B0000rt
02-02-2007, 07:23 PM
I drove mine a couple hours after I finished. At first oil started to leak onto the ground, couldn't find out where it was! So I thought my engine was toast.. A day or two later, it cleared up and I've already put 14,000kms ( ~9000miles) on it.

It's quite scary when you take 3-4 days doing it just to find out she leaks oil all over the ground :D

Emerica12124
02-03-2007, 09:58 AM
Yeah talking the bracket off is easy. To get the LIM off i had to use a pry it off from the front cornerof the valve cover where the 2 meet. It didnt want to come off. Now im sending them out to get ported then going to try to find a place to powder coat them black. Anybody know of any powder coaters? What will the price range be for that?

digitalballz
02-03-2007, 10:32 AM
I know of one in Ma, but kinda far for you! lol