Engine Running Cold [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Engine Running Cold

Fenderman
02-04-2007, 10:18 AM
Hey, I have a 2000 GT with 122k and the engine temp stays at 150-60 even on extended highway drives (1 hour). This does not happen all the time but when it does i can tell that the heat doesnt blow as hot as it normally does (so i figure that the gauge is correct). Some times during the same drive it will go up to normal 200 then back down. Any ideas?
Thanks

XtremeGaGt00
02-04-2007, 10:41 AM
hm.... id havta start off with the easy stuff and replace the thermostat, its gotta be stickin open, if not that, the coolant temp sonsor could just be going bad and replace that after you find out its the thermostat or not

Mike Jung
02-05-2007, 12:32 AM
Hey, I have a 2000 GT with 122k and the engine temp stays at 150-60 even on extended highway drives (1 hour). This does not happen all the time but when it does i can tell that the heat doesnt blow as hot as it normally does (so i figure that the gauge is correct). Some times during the same drive it will go up to normal 200 then back down. Any ideas?
Thanks
Well, how cold actual air temperature is it outside (& also include a wind chill factor value) ?

Sounds kind of normal if you are having weather like in Toronto.
The last 2-nights have been around -16 to -20C (3 to -4F) air temperature & wind chill factor values of -25 to -35C (-6 to -31F).

Wind Chill does rob the engine of heat, by removing it.
Highway speeds do provide extra engine cooling.

example of my GA in this weather:
Yesterday morning at -16C (3F) & wind chill value of -25C (-6F).
My engine coolant gauge was at 4-clicks (about 70C/158F) to the left of the middle 90C/194F; while on the highway cruising doing about 110km/h (68mph) for 10-minutes (after a cold start).

Just right now at -20C / -4F air temperature & -35C/-31F wind chill factors value.
Driving in the city for 8km/5miles.
The engine coolant temperature gauge was like 3-clicks (75C/167F) to the left of middle position 90C /194F.

In the summer (with no AC on) cruising on the highway it normally sits 1-click (85C/185F) left of 90C / 194F.
(But will climb when I hit traffic.)

(Germany Castrol Syntec 0W-30 synthetic motor oil provides alittle extra engine cooling in the summer for FTW.)

PS: You will rob your engine coolant of heat if you are running the heater fan on high, with the temperature dial turned all the way the the right for hot.
I have actually seen the engine coolant temperature gauge not go pass 60C/140F sitting waiting in line at the car wash, with the heater on hot & the fan on high.
As soon as I turned off the fan: the temperature on the engine coolant gauge went up & opened the thermostat to the rad.

Mike Jung
02-05-2007, 12:36 AM
Thanks
So try driving (after a cold start) with the minimum fan on the heater/defoster to keep your windows from fogging up.
(Even better would be with the fan heater fan off; but then your windows would most likely fog up.)

Watch the engine coolant temperature gauge.
When it gets to like about 85C/185F: the thermostat for the engine coolant should open to the rad.
Now you could turn up the fan for the heater.
This will allow the engine coolant to warm up faster.

drumking1721
02-05-2007, 11:06 AM
Yea its been freezing here in Mich. My car takes over an hour to get up to 180. But i have a 180 tstat and a DHP.so yea, the cold weather doesnt help

timka86
02-05-2007, 01:02 PM
I agree with them^^ i got the same issues with 180* stat. Nothing you can do about it. and even if you have stock it'll be the same thing. When i had my stock stat, the needle never got passed the 2 in 200 during the winter, unless i stood still for a long while.

timberwoof
02-05-2007, 02:43 PM
If you want it to get warmer, place a piece of cardboard infront of the radiator to prevent some of the air from passing. While I was up in Chicago a few years ago, that's what I had to do with my truck to get the heat to work right.

Oh yeah forgot, don't cover the whole radiator, you don't want it to get to hot.

tomh
02-05-2007, 02:46 PM
yeah its been freezing here in pa lately too my car doesnt get half as warm as it did 2 weeks or so ago

gectek
02-05-2007, 03:17 PM
well usually there is a trouble code for an engine taking too long to warm up, it is P0128 i think, just means that the warmup time is taking longer than the engineers like. usually its just the trouble code to replace the t stat. that happened to me when i used watter wetter and ran the 180 t stat in the winter here in texas. it would stay at 170 for a long time, then the ses light would come on with the p0128 code.

timberwoof
02-05-2007, 03:37 PM
well usually there is a trouble code for an engine taking too long to warm up, it is P0128 i think, just means that the warmup time is taking longer than the engineers like. usually its just the trouble code to replace the t stat. that happened to me when i used watter wetter and ran the 180 t stat in the winter here in texas. it would stay at 170 for a long time, then the ses light would come on with the p0128 code.

Cold... In Texas???

gectek
02-05-2007, 03:38 PM
yah, up in booker, sometimes we have blizzards and days where the temp doesnt get above 10*F