Scraping sound in wheels? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Scraping sound in wheels?

2002gagt1
02-06-2007, 01:22 AM
I have a problem with a ''rubbing'' or ''scraping noise'' when I drive, it seems to be in or around the wheels, when I brake it scrapes, and just driving normal it scrapes, especially when driving slow you can really hear it, and it gets real bad when I am turning sometimes... Is this a warped rotor problem? I've taken it to the dealer about 3-4 times for the same problem and it's never fixed...They even said they replaced all the rotors, etc, last time, but it's still bad... And yes, the scraping gets faster when the car goes faster...Please don't delete this thread, I searched, couldn't find anything ;crap , I just really want to know what's wrong *foshizzle

BadBlack00Ga
02-06-2007, 01:27 AM
Make sure the dust shield behind the rotor isn't rubbing against the rotor.

Visually inspect the rotor face for any markings and if any, use the markings to help locate what is scraping.

Sprucegagt
02-06-2007, 06:25 AM
Are you using the stock Goodyear RSA tires?

Exodus
02-06-2007, 07:57 AM
If you are using the stock Goodyear RSA tires, then that is definitely your problem. Unless there is something else wrong w/ your rotor but that is a seperate issue. Once I got new tires, the rubbing sound stopped. Now there are so many rattles and ticks that it all became white noise. But for the rubbing issue, its your RSA tires.

CaptRon
02-06-2007, 08:11 AM
I had the same problem, turned out to be the front wheel bearings. Timkin are about the best at $115 ea. Cheap ones will run about $85 ea. Should do both sides and if you do it yourself, plan on an hour on each side.

2002gagt1
02-06-2007, 09:53 PM
I've taken it to the dealer for the wheels bearings, tires, and brakes, they said the wheel bearings were fine, they replaced the front two tires ( i'm assuming they replaced them with OEM? ), and they changed my rotors once before... My 3yr/36,000 warranty ran out recently, could they have told me nothing was wrong but the faulty tires so my warranty would run out?... Bah... Thanks for the replys guys.

Sprucegagt
02-06-2007, 11:25 PM
The tires themselves are not technically faulty. They work fine, just noisy. So the dealer can tell you everything is fine. But you will still have the noise.