How Long Will It Last? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : How Long Will It Last?

vin1978
02-06-2007, 02:34 PM
I don't post much here, but the questions I have asked you guys have been great at helping me with. I have a 2001 GAGT with 110,000 miles on it and will have close to 140,000k at the end of 2007, I drive alot for work.

I have had the usual wheel hub assembly, LIM Gasket, strut mount noise, and all the normal wear and tear stuff happen.

Lately the car has been bucking a little bit from a starting position and it just seems to not be driving as smoothly as well as smelling a little like oil in the cabin of the car.

My wife wants me to get a new car, but I will be honest, I am cheap and would rather see how long we can go. How much more can I expect to get out of this car and what is your opinion of what it is worth?

I just wanted the opinion of an unbiased third party. Thanks for any help you can give.

Exodus
02-06-2007, 02:40 PM
Pretty sure others will chime in soon but, once your tranny starts to slip, especially at 110,000 miles, its safe to say time for a new car.

gectek
02-06-2007, 03:32 PM
my tranny started to slip at 130k miles and i just rebuilt it, cost me about $500 im parts, did the work myself and its going strong at 174k, it is still the stock engine, and i have only had to do the LIM once at 130k miles...maybe im lucky. i dont take meticulous care of my car, but i have a regular maintenance schedule, and try to stick to that, refresh the car with new parts when i think they are getting worn, and keep it in good running condition. im hoping to get over 200k with higher than stock HP and tuning, and after that its 3500 swap, so i think that there is plenty of life in these cars after 100k, it just takes more care, cash, and willingness to do the work

Exodus
02-06-2007, 03:45 PM
my tranny started to slip at 130k miles and i just rebuilt it, cost me about $500 im parts, did the work myself and its going strong at 174k, it is still the stock engine, and i have only had to do the LIM once at 130k miles...maybe im lucky. i dont take meticulous care of my car, but i have a regular maintenance schedule, and try to stick to that, refresh the car with new parts when i think they are getting worn, and keep it in good running condition. im hoping to get over 200k with higher than stock HP and tuning, and after that its 3500 swap, so i think that there is plenty of life in these cars after 100k, it just takes more care, cash, and willingness to do the work

Well, you see depends on the car.
I had to do the LIM fix twice already and I only have 57,XXX miles.

vin1978
02-06-2007, 03:50 PM
I am not the type to want to do the tranny work myself. I can do some things, but tranny forget about it. I think I am trying to convince myself the car is fine when it feels like there are some hidden gremlins starting to come out. Thanks for your thoughts. Anyone else want to chime in?

What do you think this car is worth?

gectek
02-06-2007, 05:26 PM
i do have a tranny rebuild sheet i am working on if you want to go that way, it has any rebuild available, from granny to infinity and beyond...lol

otherwise, i would look at blue book for third party resale, and then see if anyone is interested here, the stealership would just take your car for pennies, and you would still be upside down on any car...either way, do plenty of research

jaketuff
02-06-2007, 10:46 PM
Bah... NO SES?

I am putting out 7 PO Codes from the PCM and she's still running!!!! 128k and counting at around 25MPG highway! Strut knock (no gas at all in them), redid brake rotors'n'pads for $60 from AZ, and the LIM is holding, this month - overheated her three months ago!

Oh well, run her until she blows! BOO-yah!

OUT

dna_dan
02-09-2007, 12:05 PM
I dunno about the rest of you, but I have a feeling that these boards are about to get a lot more traffic as our cars fail. Creeks, sqeeks, chirps, knocks, grind, and whatnot all over my ride. Better go buy some more bubble gum....

gectek
02-09-2007, 12:06 PM
no just a louder system...lol

Exodus
02-09-2007, 12:31 PM
Just be happy that you didnt spend alot of dough on modifications.

B0000rt
02-09-2007, 01:12 PM
I received my '94 GAGT w/ busted transmission @ 280k kms.
Rebuild was something like $1500.

Then the engine went out at 290k kms. Got me a junkyard engine installed for $800

Few things have gone here and there, Fuel Pump ($300 I think), Alternator ($100) the usual maintenance stuff like brakes every year or so, etc.

I'm at 395,000 kms now, and the only major problems she has right now is a small crack on the front exhaust manifold, and the TCC Solenoid is iffy. I'll try to get these replaced once the summer comes around!

400k kms, here I come!

-------------

I'm saving up for a 3.6L 6speed CTS, or a new 3.6L Auto 6speed Malibu or Aura :D :D

Magic 8 Ball points more towards the CTS, as it'll be cheaper!

Pitter98
02-09-2007, 02:25 PM
I gotta agree with B00000rt and Jaketuff here to an extent. If the car is paid off, and you can repair it for cheaper than it would cost you for new car payments, I would say spend the money to get it fixed properly and keep driving it. Unless you just have to have a new car, most cars will easily make it out to 150k plus with some minor/major repairwork. It just depends on whether you will keep the car for much longer if you are going to put the money into it. Even if it costs you $1500-2000 to get it fixed up, that is still cheaper than the $3600+/year you will most likely shell out for a new car. Personally I would say fix it if you can, save up some money for a new car, and keep it for another year or two. But that's just me.....you may not want to deal with an older car for that long. Something to consider though.

gectek
02-09-2007, 09:03 PM
keep it buy a new car and turn the GA into a blown beast, with crinkle walls in the front and skinnys in the back, then use a milk crate to save weight...lol

nascarnate326
02-09-2007, 09:20 PM
I had LIM at about 135,000 and a left front hub assembly, other then that my car was perfect. Older lady drives like she stole now. She hurts it more then I do, and it appears to be holding up alright. Your cars prolly worth 2500 to 3500. I say keep it, because its most likely paid off, and just fix the little things that go wrong with it. Buy a Sky Red Line, and your all set.

ledfreak
02-10-2007, 02:05 AM
Keep it & fix whats wrong. I've got 120k on mine (99) now and it's still going strong (I too had the LIM problem) & I'll probably get 200-250k out of it before I have get rid it, but I'm hoping for more.

Out of curiousity, has your trans fluid & filter been changed at least once in those 110k? Your problem my be a very simple one (corroded wire, loose contact, etc) so don't give up too quickly. If it is the tranny & not something else a low milage used one will run about $300-500 w/o install, cheaper if you pull it yourself from the junkyard.

Just my .2 worth.

vin1978
02-10-2007, 09:25 AM
Thanks everyone for your input. I had a mechanic friend look at the car and he took care of some of the small things I needed to be back on the road. Apparently it wasn't major, just a EGR problem and spark plugs. Right now the car is worth almost exactly what I owe on it, so I am leaning towards a new used car or new car.

I have a bad gut feeling about my car and I may be wrong and should just drive it into the ground, but I don't want the tranny to go and I have more into the car than it is worth. With the amount of driving I do, I just need something more reliable and with the possibility of kids in the near future, it is probably time to get something a little more practical. Thanks everyone for you help, this board has saved me alot of time and money over the past few years.

Oh, and to answer ledfreaks question, the car has never had any service work to the tranny, which make me all the more uneasy.

gectek
02-10-2007, 12:29 PM
i wouldnt feel uneasy about the trans not having any service, the dealerships tell you that to scare you and make you buy something else, but its really not that bad. i would def do the fluid and filter change, dont go to a dealer and get the flush, i really dont like that service at all, it seems to cause alot of problems. just drop the pan, change the fluid and filter, set the level and it should be alot better.

and with ANY car, you always have to put more into it than what it is worth, unless it is a lease situation, and even those tend to break more often than a regular buy/finance. the question is, how much do you wanna put in any one car. i love mine and i know it will go quite a ways before needing anything major like and engine or anything else

ledfreak
02-11-2007, 04:09 AM
i wouldnt feel uneasy about the trans not having any service, the dealerships tell you that to scare you and make you buy something else, but its really not that bad. i would def do the fluid and filter change, dont go to a dealer and get the flush, i really dont like that service at all, it seems to cause alot of problems. just drop the pan, change the fluid and filter, set the level and it should be alot better.

Agree completely, do not flush it or take it to a dealer, any shop you trust will do.

Ajaxus
02-11-2007, 04:22 AM
you can get a bit out of a car with a slipping tranny..my first car was that way for about 20k miles, i didn't exactly drive hard on it either. you can stretch it if you want, but by your mentioning that you drive alot for work im gonna assume it's mostly highway, you might not want to risk it going on you while driving then. be sure to have some money on the side if you are going to push it in the event that you will need to buy a new car when it finally does quit.

this is my cheap bastard advice, cause i'm cheap too. :D

safety advice, either get the tranny worked on by a trusted shop or get a new car.

lone_wolf025
04-02-2007, 09:46 PM
Quick q: A rebuilt trans has no break in period. Right or wrong?

gectek
04-02-2007, 09:49 PM
well i would say wrong and right. if the trans is prepped right, the break in period would be about 80-100 miles of regular driving consisting of starts from a stop, cruising, compression braking, upshifts, downshifts, reverse, and some very light WOT running. that should season the bands and clutches to wear better on the plates. after that the trans should have the shift adapts and get the feel of the new plates and hardware to be able to handle about anything else.
but that is assuming the rebuilder soaked the frictions in trans fluid and properly filled the fluid and everything else, otherwise i would use a little more care in keeping alot of load off the tranny for a few days. just to make sure everything is nice and lubricated

lone_wolf025
04-03-2007, 01:38 AM
Hmm. Well then I guess convincing my buddy to come to the track is out. His trans blew, well specifically his differential failed and tore apart his trans to the extent that he heard the parts breaking. The "new" trans is just a rebuilt unit not a more expensive remanufactured one.

gectek
04-03-2007, 07:47 AM
im guessing one wheel burn outs...