Transmission Pan Gasket or sealant [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Pan Gasket or sealant

Pinnacle
02-06-2007, 07:37 PM
On a 2002 GT is it a gasket or does it (or can I use) a sealant?

coupe
02-07-2007, 05:58 AM
I dropped a tran pan on a 3100 once and it was just a gasket, im assuming the 3400 is the same deal.

ledfreak
02-07-2007, 10:07 AM
It is a gasket. Either cork or rubber w/metal frame depending on the brand.

With the metal framed one there is no need to use sealant/silicone.

Using sealant/silicone with the cork gasket keeps it laying flat on the pan & prevents it fron twisting & then possibly leaking. Just don't overtighten the bolts and deform the pan.

gectek
02-07-2007, 10:46 AM
its a molded rubber gasket with a steel retainer inside to keep the form, although it is a 2 piece steel retainer, so the gasket can fold to go in a box to fit the gasket kit. it is pretty expensive from the dealer for just the gasket is like $30 or so, but you can reuse the stock gasket many times, the only time i would replace it is if you cut the gasket or it tears or the washers to prevent gasket crushing get bend or warped. the gasket also has alignment dowels in it to keep it in the right place on the pan

another note, i would NEVER use a cork gasket on anything, just my personal opinion

and i wouldnt use any sealant either, there should be no need for it

also use a high quality filter to make sure the filter substrate doesnt flake off in the trans, and also make sure to torque the bolts down to spec ONLY, they will twist out the threads from the alum housing and then its helicoil time. personal experience speaking here