Electrical Problems [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Problems

Ajaxus
02-07-2007, 01:34 PM
Alright, bunch of unrelated incidents with my car that I need help finding the common link on so I can fix this.

First, I've been blowing fuses like nobody's business. It started with the one controlling the interior lights, so I replaced it with a larger fuse, no problems yet.

Then I blew the fuse for the cigarette lighter, at the time I was running a power inverter off of it and have had no issues with this before. So I replaced this fuse with a 30amp fuse, figured since a bigger fuse won't cause a problem I might as well try it. That fuse blew within 10 minutes.

Now comes what happened just a few minutes ago. I went to my car and hit the unlock on my key fob to unlock the doors and disarm the alarm, and I got nothing. I look inside and the blue led for the alarm isn't blinking. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess my battery is dead. I haven't tested it yet because classes are still in session, when they go on a break I will test it. I'm in no big rush atm, and I don't feel like interrupting other classes.

Now, with a battery less than 2 years old (iirc it's a duralast???), no prior issues with fuses or my alarm. Haven't done any work on the electrical system in years. What could it be?

Gizm0815
02-07-2007, 01:41 PM
cold could just be a factor with the battery mine was dead too a die hard gold less than a year old. but as for the fuses im fairly sure that you shouldnt be replacing them with larger fuses.

Ajaxus
02-07-2007, 01:43 PM
well when you're road tripping you use what you have and i was in the middle of nowhere when they started popping like popcorn. personally i want to know if there is a common link here so i can fix it right the first time before i start having more issues left and right.

my first instinct would be a bad ground, but i can't think of where it would be.

Gizm0815
02-07-2007, 01:46 PM
find out what all fuses are blowing they may all be on the same circuit.

Ajaxus
02-07-2007, 01:48 PM
those are the only two i've had an issue with as far as i know.

gectek
02-07-2007, 02:51 PM
ok well first thing, we all know that a blown fuse a second after installation means a short to ground, or a shorted winding or wiring in something to bypass the resistance...so lets see if any of those have a common ground.

also will the car start at all? is it just the keyless entry and security that are messed up?

from this diagram, you may have either blown the BCM fuses, since it is related to all these things, or friend the BCM....maybe, dont quote me on that. just initial thought.

ill see what else i can find in relation as to why you blew the fuses in the first place

gectek
02-07-2007, 03:11 PM
ok on the ground side the G201 is for the cigarette lighter and the G202 is for the dimmer switch, which would take out the ins cluster and the interior lights, and the BCM is also wired to ground at G202, so those would be the first places to look

for some reason it wont let me add the pic right so i have it posted on another post http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65936 it is post #6 picture #4, it shows all the grounds 201 and 202 and the splice packs, i would go there and look, since they are so close to each other, there is a good possibility something happened there

Ajaxus
02-07-2007, 03:48 PM
i think you're on to something gectek. i was sitting in my class just thinking about this and i remembered that i've had my glovebox pulled for awhile (unfinished project) and there is a good chance that something may have happened under there, it looks like the grounds are both accessible from inside the dash from the diagram you gave me.

im about to go out and test the rest of the electrical systems, mainly the ones you mentioned.

what i don't get though is why the fuse for the cigarette lighter had no issues then blew quickly, then the new one ran for a few minutes with no problems and blew again. i would think with a bad ground it would have blown immediately the second time. guess that's just the part that puzzles me the most.

anyways, im gonna go out and see what happens when i go to unlock it and start it, i'll be back in a few minutes with an update. i'll also take a gander under the dash and see if anything pops out at me on first inspection.

Ajaxus
02-07-2007, 03:57 PM
alright, battery is completely dead, and i may have a culprit, not one i was expecting.

the passenger side door wouldn't open all the way, i looked down and noticed some body damage...there wasn't body damage before. from a quick inspection i've noticed ice inside the paneling, quite close to both grounds. the body damage wasn't there when the fuses first started blowing, but even then my car sat over night after the first round with the fuses and kept a charge. now we have body damage and ice near electrical devices, there's a good chance this is the culprit for the now dead battery..although i'm still working on a full connection.

at this point in time i may have to call for a tow, because i'm afraid of what might happen if i jump it with ice inside and so close to electrical pieces...thoughts?

(btw, if i find out who caused this body damage...hell to pay...)

edit: called my mechanic, he mentioned wiggling the battery cables a bit to make sure there is a solid connection and trying the ignition again. he said if that doesn't do it to go ahead and jump it and call him back if anything happens. *crosses fingers*

Ajaxus
02-07-2007, 04:24 PM
well, this has turned into something bigger than it was. and i can blame my friend for it.

he put my lights from auto to "on" on the switch on the last part of our roadtrip yesterday (which was an awesome roadtrip, running from the cops=ftw) and i didn't know this. i never switch the auto off hence why i didn't check. *doh!* but i did call him to give him a few words since this threw off my entire day.

fuses of course are an issue, but i think those diagrams may help me resolve it, no worries there.

and on the plus side i now know that whoever parked near me between yesterday and today caused body damage to my car, so i get to go on a rampage.

mods/admins can lock and nuke this thread.

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
06-19-2007, 04:21 PM
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY so as to understand thanks >>my cigerette fuse will blow if i run my RV tire pump for a few mintutes in my 2000 gagt. but it won't do it in my 98 ga se. is the cigerette fuses different amps in both cars ?

yet i can run cell phone charger 5v and a dvd player 9v. no problems. now the RV275 psi air pump did have a new and better male cigette plug adaptor installed on it . this one has a fuse. original did not.

yet as i say it will blow the 20 amp fuse in the 2000 but not the 15 amp fuse in the 1998....

now just did a test in both cars i hooked up the airpump to lighter. and male end of airpump had a 5amp fuse in it > it blew the 5amp fuse for airpump( airpump calls for a 5 amp fuse ). it blew right away..

then i did the same over again but this time change pump fuse to 30 amp. it then blew the car fuses.

why will pump not except well the 5 amp fuse it calls for ... and if i up that pump fuse why does it then blow car fuses. is there a car fuse to air pump fuse good balance somewhere.

cardude007617
06-19-2007, 04:51 PM
and on the plus side i now know that whoever parked near me between yesterday and today caused body damage to my car, so i get to go on a rampage.

uhoh, Chuck Norris is on a rampage!!!!!!! better watch out

iceman
06-19-2007, 09:50 PM
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY so as to understand thanks >>my cigerette fuse will blow if i run my RV tire pump for a few mintutes in my 2000 gagt. but it won't do it in my 98 ga se. is the cigerette fuses different amps in both cars ?

yet i can run cell phone charger 5v and a dvd player 9v. no problems. now the RV275 psi air pump did have a new and better male cigette plug adaptor installed on it . this one has a fuse. original did not.

yet as i say it will blow the 20 amp fuse in the 2000 but not the 15 amp fuse in the 1998....

now just did a test in both cars i hooked up the airpump to lighter. and male end of airpump had a 5amp fuse in it > it blew the 5amp fuse for airpump( airpump calls for a 5 amp fuse ). it blew right away..

then i did the same over again but this time change pump fuse to 30 amp. it then blew the car fuses.

why will pump not except well the 5 amp fuse it calls for ... and if i up that pump fuse why does it then blow car fuses. is there a car fuse to air pump fuse good balance somewhere.

1. English, do you speak it?

2. Putting in bigger fuse than what anything is rated for == stupid idea and you will certainly get laughed at when your car burns to the ground.

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
06-19-2007, 10:36 PM
thanks for the imput so i will not up the fuses to larger . thanks

.I 'm not sure how to take or what you mean by > do you speak english are you just joking or having a dig..

i do know that i said please read carefullly so you understand . because on this website i have been trashed so many times because of spelling , punication, caps, and actually understanding what i say.

and because i tend to have a few difficulties putting into typed words in posts what i mean , so they can be a wee bit confusing. i did not say that beginning because i thought folks were stupid on this website.

so i guess some folks have a hard time understanding english language in any form. and iceman i have read your post and thread replies before .

i have a idea of what you meant by it . but i do not like to miss judge folks. and i know you know enough about me . you have replied to many of my post before.

sorry i am not into trashing someone because they do not have perfect grammer. just looking for tips , good info to help with any problems with my car. yes i am very defence on this website. there's alot of tuff critics on this website to say the least. folks have a choice read and help or do not read and keep remarks quite .

iceman
06-19-2007, 10:39 PM
Wasn't trying to trash you... reread again, and not sure if I 100% understand you, but sounds like you have some sort of wiring issue with the lighter in your 98. or it can't take the surge... not sure

gectek
06-22-2007, 03:53 PM
there are a few other things on the cig lighter circuit IIRC on the 99+, but just get the adapter to hook it ur to your car battery and ull be just fine...then the only fuse ull have to worry about is the one for the air pump itself. u shouldnt use a pump off a light duty cigarette lighter light that

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
06-22-2007, 05:18 PM
iceman and gectek.. you guys think the pump is too over powering for the cigarette lighter . i would think with all the technical things folks hook up to there lighter area. that they would need or draw more power then a pump would ???? gectek what is the adaptor you are talikng about for my battery ????

looks like a larger fuse in pump blows the car fuse .

a low fuse in the pump blows the pump fuse. as far a pump fuse it calls for 5 amp. but that blows .

and have put in a 30 amp which then blows the car fuse .

have not tried 10, 15, 20,or 25 amp fuse in pump to see if that works better.

gectek
06-22-2007, 06:21 PM
i really wouldnt use it at all. i have a small heater that is for a "travel heater" that i used when my heater core took a dump, but it would always blow the cig fuse after about 10 minutes of running it. just because something is "made" to work doesnt mean it will. the adapter is basically 2 battery clamps, one pos one neg and they Y into an ac adapter end to plug the pump in to. that would prob fix some concerns, but u really should not use a higher rated fuse on your equipment, UNLESS you are willing to deal with a compromised elect circuit when an amperage overflow occurs...not pretty. i would either get a different pump, or just use something else...like the pump at the gas station

Sprucegagt
06-23-2007, 02:09 AM
Your air pump is defective if it's blowing it's own 5 amp fuse. The fuse is there to prevent damage, by replacing it with a higher rated fuse insures that you want your equipment to burn.