bad ground? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : bad ground?

archillasvante
02-10-2007, 02:34 PM
When I try to start the GA, volts (reading on voltage meter) go to below 8, or there is no power at all. Trying to jumpstart the car with a direct connection to the batter starts it up fine. Trying to jumpstart the car with a connection to positive, and ground to the chassis somewhere is only successful sometimes. The voltage meter will show power, but as soon as I turn the key it is gone.

I think the car has a bad ground somewhere. What do you say?

Where are the grounds located on our 99-05 GA's? I know there is one right off the negative cable to the battery... are there any others?

Please help.

gectek
02-10-2007, 03:15 PM
locations of all grounds, but i would just check the ones from the batt to the engine and maybe an engine to body ground also IIRC the ground on the front mount sometimes likes to come loose

also you may have a prob with the side post batt in general, sometimes they can discharge themselves by shorting across the terminals inside the batt, and sometimes the posts become corroded inside the plastic and cant be cleaned. if you have had your batt for a while it may be a good time to replace it anyway

archillasvante
02-10-2007, 03:56 PM
locations of all grounds, but i would just check the ones from the batt to the engine and maybe an engine to body ground also IIRC the ground on the front mount sometimes likes to come loose

also you may have a prob with the side post batt in general, sometimes they can discharge themselves by shorting across the terminals inside the batt, and sometimes the posts become corroded inside the plastic and cant be cleaned. if you have had your batt for a while it may be a good time to replace it anyway

whoa thanks!

where'd you pull this diagram and chart from?

iceman
02-10-2007, 07:10 PM
Change the battery. same prob w/ my stock problem, they suck, the posts are prob loose. try taking off the terminals and cleaning them

gectek
02-10-2007, 11:33 PM
oh a little birdy gives them to me

lone_wolf025
02-10-2007, 11:58 PM
Other than the advice given already I can only suggest that you ensure you don't have a mechanical issue like a bad starter or something.

Malaclypse
02-11-2007, 01:37 AM
Most likely cause is a bad battery. Just make sure to clean/tighten the cables while you're replacing it.

archillasvante
02-11-2007, 06:11 AM
Other than the advice given already I can only suggest that you ensure you don't have a mechanical issue like a bad starter or something.

i didn't think to check for that. there could be a short in the starter... but normally wouldn't you still have power to everything else, and the starter just 'clicks'?

Sprucegagt
02-11-2007, 09:32 PM
If the starter was bad, then it would act up no matter how you jump start the car.

lone_wolf025
02-11-2007, 11:12 PM
If the starter was bad, then it would act up no matter how you jump start the car.

True, but its still a good idea to make sure you don't have a bad part somewhere causing the problem. Figure worry about it if the problem still exists after ruling out electrical.

iceman
02-11-2007, 11:18 PM
It's the battery......

archillasvante
02-12-2007, 03:16 PM
not the battery folks... replaced the battery under warranty this morning...

got a good reading on the voltage gauge, went to turn the key to start...

no volt reading, no turnover, no nothing.

later this afternoon i tightened up the pos/neg connections to the batter, wiggled around the ground wires next to the battery, followed the wires down to the starter and wiggled those around, feeling around for looseness...

there's something that plugs into the front of the transmission, that the wires seem to be connected to? is this a ground? sensor? what?

anyway after the 'wiggling session' i could start the car. i did so several times with no issue. does it sound like somethings loose to you?

gectek
02-12-2007, 03:21 PM
either loose or corroded, maybe time for a new batt cable, they can become internally corroded also, and yah the thing by the trans on the mount is a splice pack ground. they all need to be removed and thouroughly cleaned IMO and make sure the surfaces they wount to are bare metal not painted

Sprucegagt
02-12-2007, 07:48 PM
not the battery folks... replaced the battery under warranty this morning...

got a good reading on the voltage gauge, went to turn the key to start...

no volt reading, no turnover, no nothing.

later this afternoon i tightened up the pos/neg connections to the batter, wiggled around the ground wires next to the battery, followed the wires down to the starter and wiggled those around, feeling around for looseness...

there's something that plugs into the front of the transmission, that the wires seem to be connected to? is this a ground? sensor? what?

anyway after the 'wiggling session' i could start the car. i did so several times with no issue. does it sound like somethings loose to you?

You have a loose battery cable connection. Make sure both ends of each battery cable are tight and clean.