Best Way to Pull Engine [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Best Way to Pull Engine

RedFrk
02-12-2007, 09:34 PM
I have a 2000 Grand Am Gt with a blown engine. I am replacing it soon and am just trying to figure out how easy/possible is it to pull the engine/tranny out the top of the engine bay. I really dont feel like dropping the subframe, but if people agree it is easier, im sure I will do it that way.

Please let me know your experiences.

Thanks
Tye

traingeek087
02-12-2007, 09:50 PM
do it the correct way. drop the sub frame out of it.

RedFrk
02-12-2007, 10:02 PM
do it the correct way. drop the sub frame out of it.

Well I dont see how there is a "correct" way to do it if it can be done either way. I have pulled engines out the top and drop the subframes on W-bodies and A-bodies without any problems. N-bodies seem to have a smaller engine bay and I am not sure everything even fits out the top. I thought its was just as easy to go out the top, plus you probably will not need to get an alignment this way.

amerpwr
02-12-2007, 10:02 PM
isnt dropping the subframe the only way to get both out? i know the 2.4 is next to impossible to get out the top cuz i tried and basically took everything off the engine to get it out the top but figured out it wasnt coming out that way

RedFrk
02-12-2007, 10:04 PM
isnt dropping the subframe the only way to get both out?
Im not sure, I dont have any experience with n-bodies. The engines bay look very tight to me, so dropping the subframe might be the only way.

2K2GAGT1BQE
02-12-2007, 10:09 PM
Haynes manual says to remove the engine from the top... pg 2D-10

Sprucegagt
02-12-2007, 10:40 PM
Im not sure, I dont have any experience with n-bodies. The engines bay look very tight to me, so dropping the subframe might be the only way.

Engine can be pulled from the top no problem. Just be sure to remove the harmonic dampener first.

http://groomlakelabs.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=742&g2_serialNumber=5

AaronGTR
02-12-2007, 11:12 PM
I've done it both ways. If all you are removing is the engine, it's easier to take out the top. Like spruce said, try and take the harmonic damper off first or it will be a tight fit and you'll probably scratch the hell out the paint on the inner frame rail.

gectek
02-12-2007, 11:48 PM
Engine can be pulled from the top no problem. Just be sure to remove the harmonic dampener first.

http://groomlakelabs.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=742&g2_serialNumber=5

i like the lead rope, makes me think of horses...lol

the best way to take out both at once is from the bottom, IMO,or just take a torch and cut off the front clip...either way

RedFrk
02-13-2007, 05:32 AM
Thanks guys, another question though.

How much needs to be removed from the engine from to pull it out the top besides the balancer? I wasnt planning on removing anything but the upper intake, possibly enxaust manifolds.

justinw
02-13-2007, 08:49 AM
I just pulled/replaced a 3400. Took it out the top without removing intake or exhaust manifolds. The hardest part is getting all the little stuff disconnected and remembering where it came from.

Wear gloves! This engine will cut you up bad. You'll find that there are a lot of very tight fits - It will be very frustrating.

Before you put in another engine, be sure that the fuel rail electrical connections are the same. I had to switch my whole rail out.

RedFrk
02-13-2007, 11:10 AM
I just pulled/replaced a 3400. Took it out the top without removing intake or exhaust manifolds. The hardest part is getting all the little stuff disconnected and remembering where it came from.

Wear gloves! This engine will cut you up bad. You'll find that there are a lot of very tight fits - It will be very frustrating.

Before you put in another engine, be sure that the fuel rail electrical connections are the same. I had to switch my whole rail out.

Nice, thats what I wanted to hear. Thanks for the tip about the fuel rail, ill check it. :D

amerpwr
02-13-2007, 07:40 PM
the 3400 might be easier than the 2.4l.... cuz i have the 2.4 and it was a SOB

RedFrk
02-25-2007, 08:55 PM
Pulled the drivetrain yesterday. I pulled the engine/transmission out the top together without to much trouble, just some time. I pulled the upper intake off, but realize I didnt have to since the wiring harness disconnected(used to old 3.1s).

Since I pulled them both, I did not have to remove the crank pully. I will be changing the lower/upper intake gaskets on the new engine before it goes in, so I will be checking the fuel injectors connectors.

Thanks for the help guys. I took pictures, so maybe I will post them.