Wideband O2 [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Wideband O2

gectek
02-13-2007, 09:37 PM
ok so i am looking at getting the newer style PT with the analog input, and want to know if it just has like 1 a/d input and if so, would i just be able to get a regular wideband O2 sensor that is not heated, or a 4 wire wideband, or what...im kinda lost on that in the fact that first off i dont have the new PT interface yet and i dont know how the wideband would hook up. when i got the headers from SS i got another bung welded in for the wideband so i dont have to run a simulator, but how do i power the wideband and do i run it directly to the pt interface and put it on the a/d input or what?

Sprucegagt
02-13-2007, 11:46 PM
The A/D input on the PT will accept up to 3 different inputs as long as they all range from 0 - 5 Volts DC. As for hooking up a wideband sensor you will need a complete wideband kit. The PT will not power a wideband sensor alone. You have to have the wideband powered from a controller with a analog output going to the PT. I think all wideband kits are made with this in mind. The most popular kits used on the PT forums are PLX and Innovate Motorsports LM-1 / LC-1.

When you get the PT hardware you will see the green connector on the side. It's labelled "G 3 2 1" and is only used for analog data input.

gectek
02-14-2007, 11:40 AM
yah im lookin at teh LM-1 right now, looks easy to use and simple breakdown for when i am not tuning

Mendoza
02-14-2007, 12:12 PM
I chose to go with the AEM 6-1 wideband o2 sensor for my stealth. Linked here
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AEM-GAUGE-TYPE-6-IN-1-WIDEBAND-UEGO-CONTROLLER-30-4100_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ46100QQihZ019QQite mZ290083382525QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

gectek
02-14-2007, 12:21 PM
well i dont need the gauge though, i just want the controller/cables/sensor. so the LM-1 still looks good to me

Mendoza
02-14-2007, 02:28 PM
This is a pretty good price
http://www.3sx.com/store/comersus_viewItemBundle.asp?idProduct=26336

Mendoza
02-14-2007, 02:33 PM
This isn't a bad price either
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/INNOVATE-MOTORSPORTS-LC-1-WIDEBAND-O2-LAMBDA-CABLE-UEGO_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6755QQhashZitem250 083530790QQihZ015QQitemZ250083530790QQrdZ1QQsspage nameZWDVW

gectek
02-14-2007, 03:00 PM
This is a pretty good price
http://www.3sx.com/store/comersus_viewItemBundle.asp?idProduct=26336

so i could then use that one to just plus right into the PT and i wouldnt have to use all the software and all that for the wideband, just make it as an imput on the PT...even better

Sprucegagt
02-14-2007, 03:31 PM
You will still need the wideband software to setup the wideband controller. It's not quite plug and play, but still simple enough to do. When you get access to the DHP forums, do some searching on wideband O2 sensors. A little bit of customizing to the software is needed to be sure your getting an accurate measurement.

gectek
02-14-2007, 04:13 PM
well yah sorry it comes with the software anyway for the sensor, so it looks like a good deal. and when i actually get to start tuning then i will go more in depth

lastyear4gt
06-26-2007, 12:19 PM
Bringing this one up from the dead.

In anticipation of getting the HPT software, I am looking at a wideband 02 sensor set up. But I don't want the gauge, just want the sensor for tuning purposes. I have a couple questions:

1. From what I understand, you have to create a new spot for the WB02, or is it a replacement for the stock 02, and pre or post catalyst?

2. From what I understand, If I get one just for tuning, no gauge, I take it I am to run the cable out the door and under the car to the sensor? Is this correct?

3. Is there not a WB02 that is a direct replacement that plugs into the stock harness that can be read by the HPT?

Someone enlighten me on this whole situation.

lastyear4gt
06-26-2007, 12:58 PM
OK, so I think I answered my own question. If I get a WB02 system like this:

http://www.plxdevices.com/products/sm/afr/

Than all I do is remove the pre-cat 02 sensor, replace with WB02, connect harness from WB to the control box, plug the stock harness into the comtrol box and it will convert the analog signal into a digital signal that will in-turn be readable as a a/f ratio by the HPT software? Or is there a USB cable that will plug into the control box to my laptop for tuning, and the box just takes care of the readings during normal operation with the PCM?

Can someone confirm/reject my conclusion?

Sprucegagt
06-26-2007, 02:17 PM
Bringing this one up from the dead.

In anticipation of getting the HPT software, I am looking at a wideband 02 sensor set up. But I don't want the gauge, just want the sensor for tuning purposes. I have a couple questions:

1. From what I understand, you have to create a new spot for the WB02, or is it a replacement for the stock 02, and pre or post catalyst?

2. From what I understand, If I get one just for tuning, no gauge, I take it I am to run the cable out the door and under the car to the sensor? Is this correct?

3. Is there not a WB02 that is a direct replacement that plugs into the stock harness that can be read by the HPT?

Someone enlighten me on this whole situation.

1. The PLX unit your looking at can replace the stock sensor. But most find it easier just to make a new spot for it in the down pipe between the catalyic converter and rear header. That way you can keep both sensors without having the headache of the PCM not seeing the O2 sensor heater circuit.

2. Yes. But, I have mine hardwired inside the car with the O2 cable routed through the firewall. Makes for a clean install with only one led and a connector to my datalogger visible.

3. No. Narrowband operates over a 0 - 1 volt range. Wideband sensors operate over a 0 - 5 volt range, thus making them non-interchangable with narrowband sensors.

lastyear4gt
06-26-2007, 04:05 PM
But if the PCM does not see the heated circuit, it just results in longer open- closed loop time correct? Any DTC's it may set could be blocked by the HPT anyways.

Regarding the hook up the control unit just acts like a "interceptor" wherein it recieves the stock voltages and modifies them to run the sensor right?

Regardless, if I was to just weld in a new bung between the 02 sensors as you suggested, than I would just have to plug it into the control unit, feed it 12V power and then when ever I am tuning just run a plug from the CU into the laptop?

Sprucegagt
06-26-2007, 04:32 PM
1. Nope. Time for O2 heater circuit warm up is PCM controlled. It is adjustable, but to much and the PCM will cause a DTC. You can override all of this, but I don't know of anyone that uses a wideband with simulated narrowband output for normal usage.

2. No. The control "box" will power and operate the wideband sensor. It will require its own power and ground connections. But there is an output from the "box" that has a simulated narrowband output that you can tie into your car.

3. You can do that. But I believe HPT hardware will allow you to log the wideband output with the other sensors while datalogging. There should be a special connector on the HPT hardware to allow connection from a 0 - 5 volt analog source.

lastyear4gt
06-26-2007, 09:17 PM
3. You can do that. But I believe HPT hardware will allow you to log the wideband output with the other sensors while datalogging. There should be a special connector on the HPT hardware to allow connection from a 0 - 5 volt analog source.

So basically my best bet is to weld in a 3rd bung and put the wideband there. Than mount the box under the dash, giving it power and ground. plug into the box when tuning and I can log the 2 stock sensors as well as the wideband for best results.

Sprucegagt
06-27-2007, 07:14 AM
So basically my best bet is to weld in a 3rd bung and put the wideband there. Than mount the box under the dash, giving it power and ground. plug into the box when tuning and I can log the 2 stock sensors as well as the wideband for best results.

Correct. But you don't use the rear O2 sensor for anything since it's after the cataylic converter. You only need the stock pre-cat O2 sensor and wideband.

lastyear4gt
06-27-2007, 10:41 AM
Oh, you mean for tuning purposes. Would you then have to diable the rear 02 after the tuning to prevent it from changing fueling, or once the tuning is done properly the A/F should always be 14.7-1

Sprucegagt
06-27-2007, 10:58 AM
Oh, you mean for tuning purposes.

Correct.

Would you then have to diable the rear 02 after the tuning to prevent it from changing fueling, or once the tuning is done properly the A/F should always be 14.7-1

No. The rear O2 sensor is only used to verify that the catalytic converter is working.

lastyear4gt
06-27-2007, 01:01 PM
Yeah, that's right. Thanks for all the help Andy.

Sprucegagt
06-27-2007, 03:07 PM
No problem. Good luck with the tuning!