Rear Drum Brake Problems [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Rear Drum Brake Problems

timberwoof
02-13-2007, 11:52 PM
Well I changed my Rear Drum Brakes on my 2004 SE1, and right now I'm fustrated as hell. I started at 1pm and finally got everthing done by 8pm. The worst part of the whole deal was getting the drums off. I ended up having to knock one of the bolts through and pains takingly losen the adjuster to loosen the pads enough to allow the drum to come off. I even got frustrated enough to check online to see if I was missing anything.

The worst part about all this is, when I got the drums off, the pads were fine. But I changed them anyway. It helped a little bit, but now I have to adjust my E-brake.

My question is, did I miss something that would have made the whole experience much easier. Was there a screw I was missing that would have loosened everthing up alot faster. All I can say is, when I get the cash and find a doner car. I'm going disk. This drum crap sucks.

lone_wolf025
02-14-2007, 12:15 AM
I'm not familiar with our drums but based on previous attempts on other cars, unless its duo-servo on a big truck or suv its always a huge PITA. Sounds to me like you did what you were supposed to.

timberwoof
02-14-2007, 08:12 AM
but something tells me I wasn't suppose to knock a lug in to do it.

pyro
02-14-2007, 08:19 AM
thats weird...did you have a haynes manual? my only guess is that you had the parking brake set...i had that issue once, but then figured out what it was and continued.

blundon
03-15-2007, 05:57 AM
Well I changed my Rear Drum Brakes on my 2004 SE1, and right now I'm fustrated as hell. I started at 1pm and finally got everthing done by 8pm. The worst part of the whole deal was getting the drums off. I ended up having to knock one of the bolts through and pains takingly losen the adjuster to loosen the pads enough to allow the drum to come off. I even got frustrated enough to check online to see if I was missing anything.

The worst part about all this is, when I got the drums off, the pads were fine. But I changed them anyway. It helped a little bit, but now I have to adjust my E-brake.

My question is, did I miss something that would have made the whole experience much easier. Was there a screw I was missing that would have loosened everthing up alot faster. All I can say is, when I get the cash and find a doner car. I'm going disk. This drum crap sucks.

the best answer i can gi8ve u from havein worked on some drums..any time u go workin on them replace them with new ones and use a big hammer and hit the drum. doin this should nock the drum loose and pop it out a bit then put to big flat top screwdriver and pry the drum off

timberwoof
03-15-2007, 07:33 AM
the best answer i can gi8ve u from havein worked on some drums..any time u go workin on them replace them with new ones and use a big hammer and hit the drum. doin this should nock the drum loose and pop it out a bit then put to big flat top screwdriver and pry the drum off

Man I tell you what, I about threw my shoulder out trying to knock the drums off. And no I didn't have the E-Brake on. I've changed tons of drums and this is the first time ever, that I've had this much trouble with them. My dad even got out there and helped, but in the end, we had to loosen the adjustor by knocking a lug bolt through. I'm never getting a damn car with drum brakes again. More than likely I'm never getting a Pontiac again either. Well unless its a GTO. Then Twin Turbo here we come.

timberwoof
12-20-2007, 07:08 PM
Alright I'm bringing this thread back, because now I'm having a hard time adjusting the e-brake. I was unable to pass inspection today because the brake wouldn't hold. This is the first time I've ever had problems with this.

How do you adjust the e-brake on a GA with Drums???

Help please...

sudden_impulse
12-22-2007, 10:12 AM
You should just need to pull the e-brake lever a dozen times or so in a row, you should feel it start to take less to hold more. Also, are the drums adjusted now? If not, put the car in reverse, drive slowly (~5 miles) and put the brakes on, do this a few times.

timberwoof
12-22-2007, 02:12 PM
the drum brakes are adjusted. Have been for a while, since I have to reverse to get out of my parking place. As for the emergency brake I'll try to see if that works.

fixdrill
12-28-2007, 01:01 PM
Didn't see if you had the drum checked for excessive wear. I always chnge the drums when I change the shoes. As infrequent as the job is done (every few years) you're better off. Since you go in reverse maybe a little more frequent than most, maybe the shoes are being adjusted too tight and are wearing the drums quicker. Maybe after all of this chattering the best move to make would be to go all disc. Future problems / issues disappear.

Deltabravo03
08-29-2008, 07:14 PM
I just did mine this weeked, and yeah it was a pain in the A#@ to do it. I found that if you take a hammer and hit it hard enough but i mean REALLY HARD it will come off! Good luck to anyone doing drum brakes they arent as easy as disk brakes!

rustyballs_69
08-30-2008, 10:10 AM
Some drums have a retaining washer on them which maybe why you guy are having so much trouble getting them off.