Secondary Air Injection System Malfunction [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Secondary Air Injection System Malfunction

nuke_mm
02-14-2007, 08:59 AM
I just put a new cold air intake on my car and now the service engine soon light came on. When I got it checked it said that I had a secondary air injection system malfunction. I am guessing that I am pushing too much air and there needs to be fuel but there is a limit to the amount of fuel set on the PCM right? I don't know what I can do. I don't want to run my car too lean. Can anyone help me?

silvergtjrad
02-14-2007, 09:26 AM
Did you reconnect the MAF and IAT sensors?

notsoaveragej0e
02-14-2007, 09:33 AM
A CAI won't "push" any more air into your system than your stock setup. The CAI simply lets the engine get the air easier and a little faster- it's not a supercharger. Like Jared said, check all your connections again.

nuke_mm
02-15-2007, 06:36 AM
I think that I replaced the sensors, but I will have to double check and see if maybe I replaced it but didn't put it in correctly. Thanks for all of your help guys. I will try it and see if it works.

nuke_mm
02-15-2007, 06:44 AM
I tried connecting the sensors and they are all fine. I know that it doesn't puch more air through now it just adds the capability of a greater air supply but wouldn't that still mess up my air to fuel ratio?

Sprucegagt
02-15-2007, 07:06 AM
No. The PCM controls the air/fuel ratio. It has the ability to adapt to different conditions to an extent. It's ability to adapt is limited, but your problem is not related to this. All of the EVAP stuff is away from the CAI. So I think something unrelated to this has happened.

What code was pulled from the PCM? P0410 - P0419, P1415, P1416 and P1418 are all related to Secondary Air Injection System failures.

nuke_mm
02-15-2007, 09:21 AM
It was 0410.

DAVES2000GT
02-16-2007, 07:53 PM
I am having the same problem p0410 code
I replaced the relay and nothing!
I am wondering what else I can check? is thier actually an air pump?
I knida have too fix this before inspection, any help would be apreciated!
Thanks
Dave

Sprucegagt
02-17-2007, 02:39 PM
According to GM, code P0410 sets due to an air blockage in the secondary air system. This could be due to the electrical air pump located beside the coolant reservoir tank being locked up or the solenoid controlling secondary air injection into the heads is bad. This solenoid is located on the front valve cover beside the oil cap. Be sure to check your vacuum lines and electrical connections to this solenoid. If you have a vacuum leak or bad connection it will cause this code.

brim
02-18-2007, 09:22 AM
According to GM, code P0410 sets due to an air blockage in the secondary air system. This could be due to the electrical air pump located beside the coolant reservoir tank being locked up or the solenoid controlling secondary air injection into the heads is bad. This solenoid is located on the front valve cover beside the oil cap. Be sure to check your vacuum lines and electrical connections to this solenoid. If you have a vacuum leak or bad connection it will cause this code.

AIR is old but I've seen it on 3100 motors, and maybe just 1 3400.

It's basically what he said right here, the secondary Air system just puffs fresh air when you start the vehicle then shuts off if i recall

it's just emissions

nuke_mm
02-19-2007, 07:36 AM
Thanks guys. I will have to check that out.

afernandez
01-29-2009, 10:21 AM
This is what is wrong with my car, is this a problem that i need to fix or willthe car run fine with it malfunctioning?

gagt Mechanic
01-29-2009, 10:25 PM
the secondary air injection sys has nothing to do with a cai. the sai has a pump that pump aditonal air into the exhaust to help with emissions on initial start up. it has little to no impact on air fuel ratio

afernandez
01-30-2009, 09:17 AM
Thank you

caraudiodave
01-30-2009, 10:05 AM
check to make sure your MAF is not backwards. theres an arrow directing you in the direction that airflow should be.

The A.I.R. system (assuming thats what "secondary air" means) is as stated, an air pump that pumps fresh air into the exhaust system during cold engine conditions. It assists in heating your cats quicker to make them more efficient. the A.I.R. pump (or smog pump) shuts off when the engine has warmed up.

I good test to see if this is the problem is heat your engine up (to operating temp) then get the code cleared. when the AIR isnt working properly your SES light will only come back on when you start your engine under cold conditions. if you start it with the engine warm it doesnt even look for the AIR system, so you wont get the code.

if you still get the SES light then its something else, maybe bad cats.

EDIT: Im not even sure a 2000 grand am would have A.I.R. on it still. I dont recall my 99 having it, but my camaro had it (til i removed the system).

pontga00
01-30-2009, 11:46 AM
EDIT: Im not even sure a 2000 grand am would have A.I.R. on it still. I dont recall my 99 having it, but my camaro had it (til i removed the system).

I have a 2000 and it had the AIR system. I ripped it out though when I had the motor done. No SES lights or anything either.

gagt Mechanic
01-30-2009, 09:09 PM
I think it is part of calif. emissions. no matter when you start your car, the pcm should run a check of the sys. it will only run for like ten sec if the eng. is warm.