headers vs t stat [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : headers vs t stat

gectek
02-15-2007, 11:00 AM
has anyone else noticed that the ss headers come very close to the t stat housing. i havent tried takin my t stat out yet since i put them on, but i wanted to know if there were any issues about this. i dont wanna have to take the front header off every time i need to change the t stat

coupe
02-15-2007, 11:29 AM
How many times you need to replace the t-stat? geesh

Mine arent close enough that i cant get it out, easier to get out with my S&S than it was with my stock manifolds.

lastyear4gt
02-15-2007, 12:39 PM
I dont have headers yet, but it cant be any harder than stock. Especially with that damn heat shield out of the way. I wouldn't worry about it, even if it is too close, the amount of times you have to change the t-stat just take the header off.

gectek
02-15-2007, 01:54 PM
well the problem with just taking the header off those times that i change the t stat is twisting off bolts. i still have 1 bolt that is twisted off in the head because it snapped off flush. so now i have to extract that one. i soaked them for 3 days with penetrating oil before i even tried to take them out.

also i dont change it any more often than usual, but i have had an instance of having 2 bad t stats so i had to change it pretty often then. i was just wondering also because it is so close i didnt want it to rub or cause electrolosis between the two metals

CoopGT
02-16-2007, 04:37 PM
If your worried about bad thermostat's you can always test them before you put it in.
Drop it into a pan of water on the stove with a thermometer and see if it opens at the specified temp .

gectek
02-16-2007, 07:51 PM
im not worried about the t stat i just wanna make sure that the headers dont give problems associated with changing the t stat