Odd question, front bumper [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Odd question, front bumper

BigBL87
02-17-2007, 11:47 AM
So, I just noticed yesterday that the part that connects in the middle of the front fascia broke off from where it "connects the gap." Here's a picture with where I'm talking about circled:

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n302/BigBL87/GrandAmproblempic.jpg

Anyway, I'm not going to buy a new front fascia, obviously. I'm going to use some kind of strong adhesive to reattach it to where it broke off. My question is what adhesive would you guys recommend that will hold it really well but not damage the paint or anything. Thanks in advance!

gectek
02-17-2007, 12:11 PM
that is a VERY common problem with the ga front ends. i had a "brand new reconditioned" bumper put on when i was in an accident and they said yah its as good as brand new, well anyway 2 days later their paint flaked off on my head when i had the car on a lift and i looked to see what it was, the "like new" bumper cover had already had that problem, they had tried to fix it with adhesive and plastic melter and heavy paint, but it did that anyway. i would use a very strong adhesive that will cure good, but just make sure you use good pressure to keep the part in place correctly. i would trust anything that permatx makes in terms of adhesive, they are one of the better ones out there IMO

coupe
02-17-2007, 02:39 PM
I wouldnt even mess with it, just buy a new/used front facia.

gectek
02-17-2007, 02:42 PM
if you let it go too long without fixing it or replacing it, it will start to crack downward usually from bumps/dips/curbs and then it will start to sag and look like pooh. ive seen alot of GTs like this cuz the people couldnt afford to replace them. if you cant right now, start saving money, because there is nothing worse than a car in disrepair with 18s on it. fix whats wrong first...THEN buy the extra

coupe
02-17-2007, 02:46 PM
Take a sawzal or dremel to it and just cut out the whole lip. Then save your money till you can buy a new/used one.

gectek
02-17-2007, 02:49 PM
Take a sawzal or dremel to it and just cut out the whole lip. Then save your money till you can buy a new/used one.

♫"she had a gap between her two front teeth that you could drive a truck though..."♫

BHermis
02-17-2007, 05:38 PM
Yah i got the same problem too. I'm just going to grab some 2 part appoxy and hold it with those black paper clips with the metal wings till it drys.

BigBL87
02-17-2007, 11:12 PM
Ya... the thing about buying a new fascia is that I'm not going to mod the car performance wise or appearance wise. I'm just doing a sound system. As long as the car doesn't look bad from a distance, I'm fine with the solution. If you have to look for it to see that it's apoxy'd or glued together, I'm fine with that.

gectek
02-18-2007, 01:43 PM
well you wont be able to see it, but the problem with ABS plastic like the bumper is made of, it will still break even if you do a quick repair on it. it will prob sag then break. but for a temp fix id use the epoxy. look on rockauto.com for a cheap aftermarket bumper to replace yours.

BigBL87
02-20-2007, 01:01 PM
well you wont be able to see it, but the problem with ABS plastic like the bumper is made of, it will still break even if you do a quick repair on it. it will prob sag then break. but for a temp fix id use the epoxy. look on rockauto.com for a cheap aftermarket bumper to replace yours.

I've looked into it, and it won't be quite as expensive to get the bumper as I expected. I'm still going with the epoxy as a temporary fix, but I probably will eventually just buy a new one. One question though, how much do you guys think it would run me to get it painted?

gectek
02-20-2007, 01:32 PM
if you install it yourself, which is easy, then about $100 to 120, but also did u look at rock auto, if you just want a bumper, then they have them for about $90, which is better than $300 for the genuine GM one, but i like the genuine gm parts better, IMO

BigBL87
02-20-2007, 02:11 PM
I wouldn't be doing the install myself, I'd have our mechanic do it. He's pretty reasonable with his prices. I did check out that site, but i also found some even cheaper on Ebay. I've just never had a part painted before, and was wondering about the cost.

gectek
02-20-2007, 02:16 PM
well really i wouldnt see a reason to have someone else install the bumper, all it is is just a handful of bolts and a few push pins and that it. no fitment, no body tools needed, just put it up and bolt it on, but to each his own i guess

BigBL87
02-20-2007, 02:34 PM
I understand what you mean, but every time I've tried to fix something on a car, I've broken something else. I looked some more on Ebay, and found some pre-painted ones for about $220 + $60 shipping and handling. Would that be a better deal than having one painted?

gectek
02-20-2007, 02:37 PM
whoa, i really dont like the idea of shipping painted parts and them staying in one piece. i see it as it gets painted then shippped and when u get it, its all messed up. thats from personal exp. i would just get an unpainted one and take it to a local shop, that way they can color match it and install it if you want for a little extra

Snowboardr18
02-20-2007, 02:50 PM
i have a similar problem, mine is split sideways right at the top of that vertical small piece

gectek
02-20-2007, 02:52 PM
yah, it happens ALOT, i know, ive had 3 bumpers and it happened to all of them for one reason or another, the only thing i can say is, if at all possible dodge all rabbits, dogs, birds, curbs, and sidewalks as possible to keep the T from turning into a V

Snowboardr18
02-20-2007, 06:07 PM
thats why i'm not getting a SC/T Chin

BigBL87
03-06-2007, 02:07 AM
Well, looks like it won't matter. My bumper was damaged yesterday when I was involved in an accident. My quarter panel took the brunt of the damage, but part of my bumper broke off. I imagine they'll just put a new bumper on it instead of trying to fix the one on there. We'll see how it all works out. Makes me glad that we have full coverage on it!

gectek
03-06-2007, 10:50 AM
make sure they use NEW GM Parts, last time they screwed me on the reman parts, yah thats right a reman bumper, and they didnt even fix my impact bar, have it looked over VERY good.

BigBL87
03-15-2007, 04:47 PM
make sure they use NEW GM Parts, last time they screwed me on the reman parts, yah thats right a reman bumper, and they didnt even fix my impact bar, have it looked over VERY good.

Well, I got it back today. They put all new parts on, and did an amazing job with the hood, can't even tell it was damaged. The car looks so much better with the new bumper on there.