Weird Idling [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Weird Idling

slickjoe
02-21-2007, 02:31 PM
Well I pulled into my garage this afternoon, slapped the car into park, and my idle when awkwardly crazy. It jumped up like 3 bars (my idle usually sits at the 6th bar) jumped up to like the 8th bar, then dropped down to the 4th-5th bar, and repeatedly did it like 2 times. I sat there left it running for a few minutes, and it did it probably like every 45 seconds. Anyone know what is causing this? When it dropped down to the 4th-5th bar, the car almost sounded like it was gunna turn off.

ga_se2005
02-21-2007, 05:19 PM
sounds like it may be the map sensor. did the SES light come on at all?

slickjoe
02-25-2007, 11:35 AM
No, I'm thinking there may have been some bad gas in the tank. It hasn't done anything since then. No lights came on at all.

AaronGTR
02-25-2007, 12:06 PM
Jumpy idle like that is usually a dirty MAF sensor or a failing TPS (throttle position sensor). If the problem repeats itself, it may or may not throw a code depending on whats wrong and how far along it is. The SES light might not come on but there could be a code stored so get the pcm checked if you can. If it starts doing it more, try very carefully cleaning the wires inside the MAF with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol and see if it goes away.

timberwoof
03-03-2007, 05:29 AM
Mine has a rough idle, do you think it may be the MAF too. I was going to pull it today and clean it. It didn't start happening til I cleaned my filter. We get this alot at the station with the PCs (patrol cars) and always have to clean the MAFs. But its usually worse on the V8s

gectek
03-03-2007, 09:03 PM
by cleaned your filter you mean a K&N filter, then you prob got some oil on the MAF...so use the alcohol, or use the MAF cleaner, then alcohol, or get a new maf, whatever

slickjoe
03-11-2007, 12:39 PM
Lol me and wires don't go well together. It hasn't really done it again since then. Like I said before. Maybe something was in the gas or something

lone_wolf025
03-13-2007, 08:45 PM
Damn. Wish I read this thread ealier today when I had my maf off. I'm getting some minor misfires that are just enough that you can hear the difference when the engine is idling. I'll have to pop the thing off again and try cleaning it...

That reminds me...should the entire wire be cleaned or just the element itself?

BigBL87
03-14-2007, 02:29 AM
Lol me and wires don't go well together. It hasn't really done it again since then. Like I said before. Maybe something was in the gas or something

It wouldn't surprise me if that was it. I've stopped getting gas at some places unless i absolutely have to. I never go to a Casey's or Quik n EZ unless I'm riding on fumes. I prefer BP and Thortons if I can choose, I've never had fuel related problems running their gas. I had a similar idling problem with my GP back in the day, and it went away so I assume it was a bad tank of gas. Then again, it did go up in flames 5 months later... meh.

lone_wolf025
03-14-2007, 11:50 AM
Bleh. Cleaning the maf didn't help. I already checked the plugs for the even numbered cylinders, now I gotta check the others. Fun. Hopefully there will be a plug on the far side that's black instead of gray...