Is there a way to diagnose a bad headgasket vs. LIM problem? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to diagnose a bad headgasket vs. LIM problem?

pickardracing
02-22-2007, 12:36 AM
Did some searching around and couldnt come up with exactly what I was looking for.

Picked up this car for free the other day and would like to fix it up a bit, its still a little too nice to go to the crusher. The car is a 96 GASE 3.1. Overheats, , oil is nice and milky and smells of coolant, had decent heat on the ride home but the coolant reservoir is caked with black crap and near empty. It seemed to run fine but seemed to have a bit of a difficult time restarting after shutdown.

I realize that the LIM is a large problem on these things, but I'm wondering if its smart practice to do the head gaskets right away or if those are usually ok? What bothers me is the difficult restarting. Any way I can tell the difference between the two leaks or should I just man up, do them both and not worry about it?

I realize I probably answered my own question but any input would be great.

Thanks.

gectek
02-22-2007, 01:34 AM
if it eats coolant, if you see cross contamination of the coolant in oil, or the gaskets will also start leaking along the valley of the LIM on both sides, itll usually pool around the bell housing of the trans, or you will see oil streaks, u can use some carb cleaner to blow it off, then see if it comes back

Dave Carney
02-22-2007, 07:54 AM
Crusher time.

gectek
02-22-2007, 12:07 PM
also a cylinder leakage test would tell u if you had a bad head gasket, and a compression test wouldnt hurt either

XtremeGaGt00
02-22-2007, 12:40 PM
sounds to me that if hes seein black crap in the resevoir...i think the head gaskets can be replaced too, while running the car....BE CAREFUL take the resevoir cap off, use a rag over it or somthin if its hot..smell the fumes coming out of the tank, smells like exhaust, youll kno to changes the head gaskets...

Exodus
02-22-2007, 12:42 PM
Good thing it was free :D

lone_wolf025
02-22-2007, 07:52 PM
sounds to me that if hes seein black crap in the resevoir...i think the head gaskets can be replaced too, while running the car....BE CAREFUL take the resevoir cap off, use a rag over it or somthin if its hot..smell the fumes coming out of the tank, smells like exhaust, youll kno to changes the head gaskets...

Just don't pop the cap off while its at full operating temp. Boiling hot pressurized coolant is not a fun thing to deal with.