Car wont start [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Car wont start

radioflyer
02-23-2007, 01:13 PM
Heya im new here. Ok heres my problem i have 97 grand am when i try to turn it over all i get is a repeating clicking noise . does any one know what is wrong ?

Molson
02-23-2007, 01:24 PM
dead battery

gectek
02-23-2007, 01:41 PM
^^^ what he said, there is enough juice to click the relay and starter solenoid, but not enough juice to give power to the started drive motor, charge batt try again, or just get a new one. if you have started it before this a few times and noticed it hard to start, but it still started then you may have deep cycled the batt too much and its time for a new one anyway

radioflyer
02-23-2007, 04:13 PM
brand new bat the car felt like it was chugging along before i shut it off Hmp

stangdude
02-23-2007, 04:21 PM
still check the battery, if it is dead then it is your alternator. If the alternator is not charging the battery, it will lose charge again while you are driving. Since it is a new battery, just charge it up again and you will be good to go after replacing the alternator.

gectek
02-23-2007, 05:07 PM
easiest way to check for a dead batt is a voltage test. take a multimeter and put it on the terms of the batt, it should read at least 12.4 volts DC. if not then it prob wont start and your batt is dead. when u get the car started again, put the meter back on the batt and watch the volts while the car is running, it should be going up in volts, usually to around 13.5 - 14.5 volts, if it isnt doing that then its the alt. you can get a bad battery though, even though it is brand new, also make sure it is the right batt for your car.

stangdude
02-23-2007, 08:33 PM
easiest way to check for a dead batt is a voltage test. take a multimeter and put it on the terms of the batt, it should read at least 12.4 volts DC. if not then it prob wont start and your batt is dead. when u get the car started again, put the meter back on the batt and watch the volts while the car is running, it should be going up in volts, usually to around 13.5 - 14.5 volts, if it isnt doing that then its the alt. you can get a bad battery though, even though it is brand new, also make sure it is the right batt for your car.

+1 one of the easiest ways to narrow it down