air dam broke [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : air dam broke

zhd1000
02-28-2007, 08:51 PM
so there's this 'dip' in the road on the way to school that i have to go through.. well one day i approached a little too quick so i hit the brakes but the nose of the car didn't quite get back up and it kissed the pavement.. so that resulted in the air dam hanging have broken off until it broke all the way off at the bottom of the driveway.. will this missing cause any problems? it seems that the radiator is too exposed now.. and i heard that piece of plastic has something to do with directing air to the radiator, how true is that? if you don't know what i'm talking about i tried to find a pic that shows it..

thanks for the help
zach

Sprucegagt
02-28-2007, 08:54 PM
The air dam does direct air up into the radiator and yes that piece does support the bottom of the radiator. As for needing it? Depends on what your temp gauge does without it when summer gets here.

zhd1000
02-28-2007, 10:15 PM
it seems as though the radiator is too exposed now.. maybe it was before but it looks like it will be more vunerable (sp?) to rocks and other debris..

Dave Carney
03-01-2007, 06:56 AM
You may be able to reattach the missing piece if you are willing to invest the time. Look and see if you could overlap a half inch between where it tore and the loose piece, then sand the lap joint to rough it up, use some epoxy, clamp it till it dries, and if you can find some small screws to insert every few inches, that would help as well. My wife tore hers (not completely off though) and i fixed it with epoxy.

coupe
03-01-2007, 07:18 AM
Mine has been smashed up for YEARS.
Ive been meaning to cut the rest of it off with my dremel. Obviously just the part that hangs down.

Exodus
03-01-2007, 08:45 AM
I thought that thing was for preventative purposes. Say when you park and there is one of those cement blocks or a curb and you scrape it, that should warn you not to go further and damage something underneath.

gectek
03-01-2007, 02:45 PM
no its called an air dam for a reason, and the other fender pieces are there to support it. Dr Speed used to sell the cnc alum air dam to put over the stock plastic, which i thought was a complete waste of money, it would be bend and broken in no time the way it always scrapes. yah it deflects the air to the radiator, like spruce said just watch the temp gauge. but if you want to replace it, it is only like $40 for it, and i think it looks a little odd without one, and a little trashy with a broken/half there piece, because if you take enough care of your paint job and the rest of the car, then why wouldnt you want that piece there to actually show you have respect for your car and take good care of it.

of course im not one to talk about the paint, mine was pretty bad, and so is the engine compartment, but i couldnt keep any paint new right now, and no one else could either, because the wind is blowing between 30 and 60 MPH and the farming and fires just make things worse. its like a dust bowl everywhere

bballr4567
03-01-2007, 03:35 PM
Mine has been missing the middle piece since I have owned it. The temp still says around 200 all the time even while it was summer. Im going to eventually cut off the other parts of it because I hate the stupid plastic down there.

BHermis
03-01-2007, 05:07 PM
HAHAHAH Yah the winds sucks!!!! Yah i'm with yah. I had put it back on using screws but then had to take it off while doing the LIM. Now i'm just going to drimell off the rest fo the parts that hang down.