Weapon R "Secret Weapon" CAI [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Weapon R "Secret Weapon" CAI

AnniversaryGT
03-02-2007, 08:13 AM
"Sorry if this is in another thread..I searched w/ no results"

About a week ago I purchased a CAI from Weapon R, called a "Secret Weapon CAI". A couple of my friends and I took a couple hours and installed it...I was a little disappointed in that it looks more like a short ram intake. It went behind the battery and stopped; didn't go down by the fog light. So I have a few questions about it.

#1 Will it be ok to leave some of my stock intake beneath the battery and the piece by the grill that says "ram air by pontiac" to help direct more air to my filter?
The filter is a fairly large cone-shaped foam filter.
#2 I want a few opinions on performance...do you guys think this air flow is better than stock?

I drove it after we installed it; it sounds deeper, of course, and I jump off the start a bit better and maybe 1-2 mph faster in 1/4 mile, so I just want to know if these are "significant gains" for my CAI.

Thanks!

Exodus
03-02-2007, 08:37 AM
The stock ram air does nothing, you'll get more use out of the CAI even though it adds like 2-5 hp and a deep note upon acceleration. Although, it is close to the engine so it would be sucking in warmer air than it would if it were closer to the fog lights. Just think of it this way, at least if there's a deep puddle you dont have to worry about sucking in water into your engine.

AnniversaryGT
03-02-2007, 08:45 AM
Last night when we were installing it, we had no jacks or anything, so we were unable to take the stock assembly that's underneath the battery out...one of my friends said that it might be good to leave that part in so it would direct more airflow to the filter...?

lastyear4gt
03-02-2007, 09:58 AM
Leaving the stock ducting there wont hurt anything, but IMO, the warm air intake that you installed (not cold air) if anything will hamper performance more than help it. With the stock intake system at least it was sealed from the hot air under the hood. FYI: Weapon R has is no longer around.

DrFabulous
03-02-2007, 10:04 AM
1- I'd just take the plastic out. It's not routing any air up there there that's worth anything.

2- The airflow might be better, but it's negligable.

AnniversaryGT
03-02-2007, 10:13 AM
See though it did seem to help my performance a bit...it has a better jump..or throttle responce is better I should probably say...even if it is "warm air"....can't argue with results...

coupe
03-02-2007, 10:15 AM
Dont trust the ass dynoe

AnniversaryGT
03-02-2007, 10:18 AM
I does have the two different paths of airflow and it says it's "Guaranteed to get 3 times more air" and faster at that...

AnniversaryGT
03-02-2007, 10:20 AM
Even a friend of mine whom I have let drive my car on occasions says that he sees better throttle response..I might not go many mph's if any faster in a 1/4, but I get to my speeds quicker..."

coupe
03-02-2007, 10:22 AM
Even a friend of mine whom I have let drive my car on occasions says that he sees better throttle response..I might not go many mph's if any faster in a 1/4, but I get to my speeds quicker..."

That dosent make any sense, sounds like your ass dyno needs to be recalibrated.

Exodus
03-02-2007, 10:22 AM
Bro, its your car, you know how it drives-if you feel like your getting a bit more power out of it then thats all that matters.
But some guys on here know alot, so Id take what they say into consideration.. then the rest is up to you.

Regardless of power, it does sound louder so, you did get something out of it.

AnniversaryGT
03-02-2007, 10:29 AM
I need to try a dyno with stock airflow..then one with my aftermarket airflow...

AnniversaryGT
03-02-2007, 10:29 AM
But I can feel more power out of it..don't know how, but there's a little more there, so I gonna leave it

lone_wolf025
03-02-2007, 10:43 AM
You're gonna get a little more power out of it but you're looking at only a few HP like Exodus said. You're "getting to speed faster" only because the engine doesn't have to work as hard to draw in air. Realistically if you did a dyno run the margin of error would cover up any real gains that you'd get from it. Just be happy with it and don't bother wasting your money on the dyno.

DrFabulous
03-02-2007, 11:14 AM
But I can feel more power out of it..don't know how, but there's a little more there, so I gonna leave it

It's your mind playing tricks. You know you spent money to make it faster, and now it's louder.... so it must be faster.

Trust me. While there MIGHT be some airflow gains, your car gained at most 1-2 hp.

AaronGTR
03-02-2007, 11:15 AM
The problem is, it isn't designed for your car. That's why it's too short and doesn't go into the fender, so it isn't really a CAI. My advice... get things actually designed for your car instead of the cheap pep boys special.

SikMindz
03-02-2007, 01:02 PM
You should get a Turbonator to complement your Secret Weapon.

notsoaveragej0e
03-02-2007, 01:37 PM
You should get a Turbonator to complement your Secret Weapon.

and teh whistletipz! :woowoo :woowoo

Exodus
03-02-2007, 01:40 PM
lol. Oh man I wanted to shoot myself after seeing that video

AnniversaryGT
03-02-2007, 01:58 PM
No, the intake I bought is custom fit for my car, even had the hole drilled to put my AIT sensor....and it's working well and my throttle response IS better, and it was hardly pep boys..it cost me 180 + tax.

But I have another question:

I also bought some spark plugs that are advertised to produce up to 12% more engine power..and they were $7 per plug, so it's believable..the thing is, I have stock plug wires. I plan to get them replaced soon, but I was curious if I would see any improvement with the plugs even though I have stock wires? Or could it hurt my engine at all?

SikMindz
03-02-2007, 02:00 PM
180?? Jeezus you got pwnt.

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57039

coupe
03-02-2007, 02:03 PM
Straight up pwnd

notsoaveragej0e
03-02-2007, 02:04 PM
haha, 12% on our cars is like...20hp. Good luck finding that in the spark plugs.

coupe
03-02-2007, 02:11 PM
Before this gets out of hand and ultimately closed i have to give some advice.

Please please please do your research before you buy any mod. You just spent $180 on a WAI AND you believe that it gave you a noticable gain. You got owned twice on this 1 mod. Now you want to buy plugs at $7 a pop AND you think it will give you a 12% increase, your about to get owned yet again. Research these things both here and on gaoc before you buy anything.

BTW, a REAL CAI would have costed you about that much if not cheaper.

I also wanted to ask, does weapon R even make an intake for the 3400/3100? If they do, can we get a link? Last i knew, they never made an intake for us V6 guys.

AaronGTR
03-02-2007, 03:53 PM
Here is a link to weapon R. http://www.weapon-r.com/cgi-bin/test/store/agora.cgi?cart_id=&xm=on&product=PONTIAC-INTAKE
All it is, is a universal warm air intake. If you look at every one of those, they are the same part number. It is NOT specifically made or fitted for a grand am.

Here is a link to what you could have gotten for the same price. http://www.mpracing.org/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=19
Specifically made and fitted for the grand am. The proper length and bends to reach the fender well, and includes all the fittings and couplers needed. And you'd also be supporting a site sponsor and a good aftermarket vendor for our cars.

We're not trying to be hard on you. We're just trying to save you some money AND help you get real results. Like coupe said, do your research before you buy. ;)

Oh, and no spark plugs by them selves will not make HP. Using the right type of plug with the right gap can decrease detonation when using power adders like boost or nitrous which can then raise your power limit before detonation, but they don't increase HP. Plug wires can be a worth while mod and they won't hurt your car, but again they won't make HP.