Tranny problems? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Tranny problems?

zootelevision
03-03-2007, 12:36 PM
I hope this is the right area to post in. I think I might be having some trouble with my transmission. On three separate occassions, when I accelerate from a stop, my car wil surge a bit and it seems as if the tranny will "pop" into gear. Both times happened on my way home after the car had been on the road for at least 30 min. or so. When I drove the car the next day, the problem seemed to disappear.

Any ideas as to why this happened? Is this something I should get checked out at the dealer? I know very little about transmissions, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,
Eric

digitalballz
03-03-2007, 07:33 PM
get it looked at. Mine did something similar when I had it, turned out to be a shift solonoid.

gectek
03-03-2007, 09:56 PM
yah take it to a dealer and they should be able to tell u whats wrong, could be a solenoid like DB said, they can pull codes and see whats wrong. usually with anything that bad, esp if the source is electrical, it will throw a code. but that really sounds more like a hard part, def go asap to avoid full trans failure

zootelevision
03-03-2007, 11:22 PM
How much does a shift solenoid usually cost? I have an extended warranty, but the deductible is $250. If it costs less than that, I'm taking it to somewhere other than the dealer. Thanks for the advice/info guys....much appreciated!

gectek
03-04-2007, 12:23 AM
you can replace the solenoid youself, from GM its about 26 so not bad at all. and it can be done with the trans in the car, if you want to do it, let me know and ill write a how to

the pn is 24207236 if you cannot find it for that price, let me know and i can get one to you for about that shipping might be extra, ill have to check

zootelevision
03-04-2007, 11:53 AM
you can replace the solenoid youself, from GM its about 26 so not bad at all. and it can be done with the trans in the car, if you want to do it, let me know and ill write a how to

the pn is 24207236 if you cannot find it for that price, let me know and i can get one to you for about that shipping might be extra, ill have to check

That would be sweet. I trust myself fixing things more than the dealership. And if I don't have to take out the tranny, that's even better! I should be able to get the part no prob, but the how-to would be helpful and welcomed. Thanks again!

02GAGTinprogres
03-06-2007, 07:23 PM
i would like the how to as well

gectek
03-06-2007, 08:00 PM
i would like the how to as well

like to know...? the how to?

zootelevision
03-11-2007, 06:10 PM
like to know...? the how to?

Yes, a how-to for changing the solenoid would be awesome!

gectek
03-11-2007, 06:32 PM
well it mainly involves disconnecting the battery, removing the left side steering assy, including wheel, plastic wheel well covers, steering knuckle, and cv shaft. then take the side trans mount off the trans and remove the center bolt to take it off. then u can remove the side cover and try to slip it off enough to get to the top 2 solenoids, i would replace both just to be safe. all the seals are bonded rubber so they are reuseable. just take the elec conn off the 2 solenoids, take the retaining clip off with a pick or screwdriver, then slide it out, juse be careful because it has springs behind it. then put some vaseline on the new one and slide it in. then put the elec conn back on and put the side cover back on...if anything else is in your way like the intake box or piping or anything else, then just try to remove it or reposition it. if you dont have enough room, then you will have to remove the trans sorry. ive seen it done before, not too hard, just maybe a day or so of time it has to be out of commission, aslo a good way to check all of your susp components to make sure they are ok