Fixing Some Body Damage [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Fixing Some Body Damage

Ajaxus
03-05-2007, 02:59 PM
Well someone damaged my car, the body damage is minimal but it's in a place it can cause more damage, and I'm too cheap to take it to a body shop.

The deal is, they bent the rocker panel on the passenger side, at this point in time I can only open that door about 1' before it catches on the fender. IF I don't fix this, it could crack the fender (did it on my bro's 03gagt) and that would be bad news.

I was thinking a rubber mallet would work decently well for bending it back in, I'm not looking for anything flawless right now, just an easy fix. But wondering if there are other things I could do to make it change shape more easily, I've never actually done body work before.

I'd put picks up, but my pos camera wouldn't do this damage justice, I'm sure my description alone gives you a decent idea of what I'm lookin at.

All help appreciated.

Edit: I should add it was damaged in the parking lot and I wasn't there to witness it so it's not like I can hold somebody responsible, before you all ask.

Bouchie11982
03-05-2007, 05:03 PM
any pictures by chance??

notsoaveragej0e
03-05-2007, 05:36 PM
I'd put picks up, but my pos camera wouldn't do this damage justice, I'm sure my description alone gives you a decent idea of what I'm lookin at.

any pictures by chance??

Your solution sounds like it will work to me, if all you are going to do is prevent more damage. All you have to pay is a deductible to fix that right, since you weren't in the car when it happened?

ryanbgb22
03-05-2007, 05:39 PM
ur not planning on fixing? and by that i mean getting it professionally done eventually.

BlackAttackGA
03-05-2007, 06:54 PM
I think a rubber mallet would work fine.

gectek
03-05-2007, 11:55 PM
i have one word...SAWZALL, or JY take ur pick

but rubber mallets work good, just make sure you dont hit it too hard and try to use a leather pad to hit it against so the paint doesnt dhip off