Traction control and ABS [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Traction control and ABS

sdp5035
03-05-2007, 05:00 PM
Okay...so here's my dilemma...
I just recently had the serpentine belt replaced in my 99gagt (not sure if that has anything to do with my problem or not) and ever since every time I turn the car on my Traction Control and ABS immediately turn off or once I have the car in drive with my foot on the brake the "LOW TRAC" light practically flashes and shortly after the car is in motion Trac. Control and ABS shut off.
I have no idea what could possibly be going on and am concerned it could be something detrimental to my car!
Any idea whats going on?
Can somebody help a girl out?
;crap

jackal2000
03-05-2007, 05:07 PM
wheel hub

sdp5035
03-05-2007, 05:09 PM
wheel hub?

TDRDevelopment
03-05-2007, 05:17 PM
You probably have a bad wheel speed sensor. The ABS and Traction Control operate off of the wheel speed sensor signals. If one is bad both systems will shut down. There is a wheel speed sensor on every wheel. They are part of the wheel hub assembly.

jackal2000
03-05-2007, 05:17 PM
wheel hub?

yes?

sdp5035
03-05-2007, 05:24 PM
gotcha.
thank you.
how long can I let this go? or is it something that should be fixed soon.

TDRDevelopment
03-05-2007, 05:33 PM
It depends on how bad you want your Traction Control and ABS back. Its not something that will destroy your car, but ABS is nice to have when you really need it. It really helps when you have to stop fast, it lets you steer the car while braking hard , instead of sliding.

sdp5035
03-05-2007, 05:35 PM
thanks for the help. i'll have it checked out!

jackal2000
03-05-2007, 06:37 PM
thanks for the help. i'll have it checked out!

yea these lights have been on in my wife's car for months now. getting it fixed soon but there is no rush.

tenspeed
03-05-2007, 07:08 PM
At each front wheel, there is a connector with two wires in it. Make sure they are both plugged in tight. Changing the belt may have knocked the right side plug loose.

gectek
03-06-2007, 12:57 AM
id pull history codes first, but i agree with the rest

bwwelk
03-06-2007, 01:53 PM
On my car , right now i have 3 lights on , (abs. trac control, and service vehicle soon , they all came on at the exact same time would it be the speed sensor also?

gectek
03-06-2007, 02:37 PM
yes it would usually, or a bad connection also, but go to a local auto parts store that can read the codes, and they can tell u the codes

GMFreak
03-12-2007, 11:52 AM
Don't those wheel speed sensors also monitor for low tire pressure?

gectek
03-12-2007, 05:00 PM
nope, wrong system

Mike Jung
03-12-2007, 05:02 PM
Don't those wheel speed sensors also monitor for low tire pressure?

nope, wrong system
Are you sure ?

gectek
03-12-2007, 05:05 PM
ours dont, im pretty sure, if they did, every time someone put flat sealer in their tire, it would send off a warning chime

polo77
03-12-2007, 07:58 PM
I think it actually is in the system because i had a bad wheel speed spensor both lights were on, and I got a flat tire while driving and light never came on. Never came on while the abs n trac off lights were on, but as soon as I replaced the bad hub the tire pressure light came on within 5 miles of driving. I could be wrong maybe just a coicidence

GMFreak
03-12-2007, 08:03 PM
I didn't know so that's why I asked. I had mine come on in the winter, but all tires were still at their normal pressure. Thought it might have been due to wheelspin on slippery roads.

gectek
03-12-2007, 08:17 PM
well the tire press monitor was supposed to be just for the Bonneville, and that was all the way back to 01...so thats at least what GM says...and im only sticking to pontiac on that, since it was also in the impala and maybe later the GP, i cant find anything on that. if your tire press system light came on, then it is a glitch.

the tire press monitors for any of Gm are either 2 designs, either in the valve stem or on the inside of the rim placed there by a strap...the GA had neither, so there you go, and also it requires a tire press module, which the ga doesnt have either

GMFreak
03-12-2007, 08:24 PM
I'll look in my manual again but it's in there as being a rotational sensor on the hub that if over a specified amount of time varies from the average of all 4 wheels, will set off the tire pressure light. It's not indicating that there's actual low pressure or anything just a difference in speed that may be caused by low pressure. I may be wrong though. I'll have to look it up.

Mike Jung
03-12-2007, 11:26 PM
I think it actually is in the system because i had a bad wheel speed spensor both lights were on, and I got a flat tire while driving and light never came on. Never came on while the abs n trac off lights were on, but as soon as I replaced the bad hub the tire pressure light came on within 5 miles of driving. I could be wrong maybe just a coicidence

I didn't know so that's why I asked. I had mine come on in the winter, but all tires were still at their normal pressure. Thought it might have been due to wheelspin on slippery roads.

well the tire press monitor was supposed to be just for the Bonneville, and that was all the way back to 01...so thats at least what GM says...and im only sticking to pontiac on that, since it was also in the impala and maybe later the GP, i cant find anything on that. if your tire press system light came on, then it is a glitch.

the tire press monitors for any of Gm are either 2 designs, either in the valve stem or on the inside of the rim placed there by a strap...the GA had neither, so there you go, and also it requires a tire press module, which the ga doesnt have either

I'll look in my manual again but it's in there as being a rotational sensor on the hub that if over a specified amount of time varies from the average of all 4 wheels, will set off the tire pressure light. It's not indicating that there's actual low pressure or anything just a difference in speed that may be caused by low pressure. I may be wrong though. I'll have to look it up.
YES, some '99 GA's (later models like the GAGT) with the 3400-series engines had the tire pressure monitor system.
(Some Oldsmobile Alero's with the 3400-series engine also had this feature.)

It DID use the ABS speed sensors (that are in the wheel hubs) to determine a low tire pressure situation.

...the PCM measures the difference in the abs sensors and if they are off a certain spec going a consistant speed for a certain amount of time the pcm sees a low tire pressure. I guess a flatter tire spins slower than a FULLY inflated
tire. It had worked a couple times for me and each time it came on it was RIGHT. My friend that works at PONTIAC told me the tire has to be about 10 to 18psi lower than the others though.

Also see: Tire pressure monitor (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5866)
(About spinning the tires in the snow, see the above ^ link.)

gectek
03-12-2007, 11:51 PM
well i could only check back as far 01 on the ga, i just thought they didnt have it. i know mine doesnt and my friends 01 doesnt either, and i checked GM and they only show for the bonne, so thats what i went off of. also on the models after the 02 or 03 year they took out the reset button on the IP fuse panel, so you wouldnt be able to reset it like that anyway, it would be through the gas pedal

iceman
03-13-2007, 12:02 AM
argghhh... does anyone read the stickies any more?