Question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Question

99GTCoupe
03-07-2007, 06:59 PM
Hey all, I know I've been lurking these last few weeks, but I'll get to that in a later post :)

Anyways, my fiancee was driving my car the other day and the power steering went out. Ouch. She got into a parking lot which was just down the road from the Meineke I get my oil changed at. I got there in her car, and under the car was a pool of fluid. I looked under the hood, hoping that I could refill it and do something quick to get it somewhere. But when I looked, I saw fluid splattered and when I looked behind the reservoir, the metal line that feeds out of it curved a few times, went down, and just stopped in a nub >< So Meineke towed it down the road for me at no cost, just before they closed. In any case, they called this morning and told me they would most likely be able to repair the line, but my pump was running dry and ruined it. Okay, $400 and it would be all fixed. Well I talked with them later on today, and now they were saying that they got the pump in and all hooked up, but when they hooked the computer up to the car to get the codes reset or something (because the pump has a sensor or something they said), they couldn't get any communication with it.

So here's they catch. They told me that the culprit is most likely my Electronic Braking System Module, a $400+ part, plus labor to put in. They were going to look at it and tell me in the morning if it needs to be replaced. I just told them to let me know, blah blah, and got off the phone. Now, I'm no auto whiz, but first thing I thought was how in the hell does the braking module have anything to do with a power steering pump?! I took Auto Tech in high school, so I'm not stupid with cars, though I don't know everything of course lol

I called up the local Chevy dealer, told them my year and make/model, and asked their service department. They told me in no uncertain terms that that module will cause NO issues with putting in a power steering pump, and that they shouldn't even have to hook the car up to the computer for the pump install. They suggested that (I told them about my ABS and Trac Off, and possible bad hub sensors) Meineke probably saw that code and was going for a big price fix (not exact words, but that was the gist of it). They said to get the pump in, be done with it, and tell them to shove it on the braking module.

Grrr.... and I liked that place. I won't be going there any longer. So tomorrow if they tell me I need this part, I get to grill them on why several mechanics, including two dealerships (just a bit of a stretch, but hey hehe) all told me the same thing as I just said above. So that will be fun ><

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions?

lone_wolf025
03-07-2007, 07:14 PM
:rx7: Last I checked anything brake related has nothing to do in any way shape or form with the power steering pump or system.

Lab Rat
03-08-2007, 06:10 AM
I used to own an 85 Ranger. When the brakes needed service I had Meineke look it over. Said they would call me after diagnosis. Now mind you I needed front pads and rotors. They're quote you ask? 850 bucks. So I told them to put it back together as I was coming to get it. When I arrived it was still in peices. They said I could not drive it away in that condition. I pressed them and they said it was illegal for them to let me take it home.
By now I am fuming. Told them I was gonna call the cops to get the true story and they backed down. Put my car back together and then told me to come in to the office. They then started to negotiate with me, we can do the fix without this part or that part. Got the front brake job done for for the price of parts and a case of beer. They are thieves and I will never go back there. Hope it works out for you.

99GTCoupe
03-08-2007, 10:21 AM
Well, I talked with them and they said the module is fine, but my EVO valve thing is bad. $156 and they can replace it. I checked with a dealer they said it's legit, so I told them go ahead. Only problem is that they can't get the part until sometime tomorrow. And tomorrow I have to leave for work about 2:30-3pm ><
So had they not BSed around with freaking module, they could have ahd the part today and my car back to me! grrrr.... but I let it slide, and won't be going back.
Ah well, this sucks

notsoaveragej0e
03-08-2007, 02:10 PM
Well, on the bright side... you still got a free tow, which is like... $100 bucks?

99GTCoupe
03-08-2007, 02:16 PM
Yes very true lol
In any case, the valve is going to actually cost $250 for the part. The original quote was for the non-elec part, and they called back. So $750 later I will finally have my power steering fixed. Damnit, this just sucks.

I have a question, though. Is going to a dealership sometimes better, though? Because would a dealer not look for extra things to hit you for since they make their money in car sales primarily? Therefore, they will usually look for what you ask them to and not extra things that don't make sense?
That is, of course, assuming a legit and non-evil dealer lol

notsoaveragej0e
03-08-2007, 02:29 PM
Yes very true lol
In any case, the valve is going to actually cost $250 for the part. The original quote was for the non-elec part, and they called back. So $750 later I will finally have my power steering fixed. Damnit, this just sucks.

I have a question, though. Is going to a dealership sometimes better, though? Because would a dealer not look for extra things to hit you for since they make their money in car sales primarily? Therefore, they will usually look for what you ask them to and not extra things that don't make sense?
That is, of course, assuming a legit and non-evil dealer lol

A legit dealer will have his mechanics fix what you asked to have fixed; if they see a glaring issue, or something that could eventually become an issue, they would tell you. Although dealerships make money in car sales, they make a killing in body repairs and anything else they do to fix your car. The dealership makes something like 20$ per wrench hour on every car they fix in the body shop (at least at the Chevy dealer I worked at).

GrandAmGT1996
03-08-2007, 03:19 PM
Your best bet IMO is to have a local garage work on it, rather then a large company such as Meineke

BlackAttackGA
03-08-2007, 04:00 PM
That stuff happens nearly every time you go into fix something. They always end up finding something else "wrong" with the car to add on to the original problem. It's business, yes, but I wish they'd just fix the problem and be done with it.

gectek
03-08-2007, 04:10 PM
well what freakin valve costs that much in the first place, if it is in the PS pump, then that is BS, but there arent many more valves besides the ones in the rack for the PS and those can be bought rebuilt from a parts store for less than that, and installed for not much

iceman
03-08-2007, 06:00 PM
lock a la thread title