Electrical Nightmare ... cluster and other problems! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Nightmare ... cluster and other problems!

awaadster3
03-08-2007, 04:02 PM
Long story short, I got my alarm installed in shady shop in Dearborn because a friend of mine recommended them. The first time they installed they alarm (viper 791vx) my key wouldn't come out of the ignition and car wouldn't turn off when started with the remote.

My second visit they fixed everything but since my center counsel was out i could see there work COMPLETE CRAP. Also my headlight don't turn on nor do my gauges/ odometer work!!! I took it circuit city and they confirmed it was a ****ty job. I trust the people at circuit city because they did numerous jobs on my car.

Anyways, I threatened to sue the install shop and they agreed to pay any repair bills when i take my car to get fixed else where but that isn't till Monday.

1. How can i fix my gauges. they don't move but the backing lights up, the dummy lights don't turn on.

2. How can I fix my headlights, they don't turn on at all, even if i move the switch to high beam position.

sry for the rant,

gectek
03-08-2007, 05:58 PM
well if it is wiring, then it just takes tracing the circuit, and i dont think they would have messed up the IP cluster, just the wiring...and ditto on the lights, but also that could be tied into the same wiring harness, and also look for a common point of reference. blown fuses can do this also, so look those up also. do the turn signals work...or is it just the headlamps themselves?

if it were me i would just replace the entire wiring harness with a new one from GM, that way you dont have to worry about any splices or things gone wrong...this is assuming that they messed up the wiring pretty bad, sounds like it though

awaadster3
03-08-2007, 06:09 PM
well if it is wiring, then it just takes tracing the circuit, and i dont think they would have messed up the IP cluster, just the wiring...and ditto on the lights, but also that could be tied into the same wiring harness, and also look for a common point of reference. blown fuses can do this also, so look those up also. do the turn signals work...or is it just the headlamps themselves?

if it were me i would just replace the entire wiring harness with a new one from GM, that way you dont have to worry about any splices or things gone wrong...this is assuming that they messed up the wiring pretty bad, sounds like it though

my turn signals work fine. When i left the install shop my headlights don't turn on automatically in the dark, only when i switch them to the high beam position. but now they don't work period. ( I haven't touched anything yet)

the guages on the IP cluster dont move, always on 0. the odometer doesnt even light up, and the dummy light dont turn on when you start the car. I even pulled the ebrake and tool my seatbelt off... no lights.

all the fuses checked out good

gectek
03-08-2007, 06:14 PM
do the windsheild wipers work...also have u checked fuses and relays...sometimes they like to tap into those to get power for the system they are putting on

id look at the drivers side because that is where the ground for the IP is, if you look on here i have a location diagram for the grounds, it is G202 behind the fuse panel...and everything else there is pretty close. maybe they unscrewed it or spliced into it

awaadster3
03-08-2007, 07:08 PM
do the windsheild wipers work...also have u checked fuses and relays...sometimes they like to tap into those to get power for the system they are putting on

id look at the drivers side because that is where the ground for the IP is, if you look on here i have a location diagram for the grounds, it is G202 behind the fuse panel...and everything else there is pretty close. maybe they unscrewed it or spliced into it

just a quick update, my wipers work. my headlight work when on the high beam position, and some dummy lights work, the ones on the left hand side.
also when i put the key on the acc mark i get an SVS light, but it goes away when i start the car.

i have checked grounds yet.

gectek
03-08-2007, 07:12 PM
well you may be able to read the codes with a competent scan tool, i have a feeling there may be some...so its just on the drivers side only, well the interior lights may be the interior dimming module which is under the drivers side dash close to the steering wheel, between it and the heater core, but that would not make your inst panel not function as in the needles...i would check all fuses, wiring and grounds...if they can get to it and mess it up then you should be able to look at it to see if it is messed up.