sporadic A/C [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : sporadic A/C

angelashley
03-09-2007, 02:23 PM
ok, here is my problem, my a/c only works part of the time. Sometimes you can turn the heat/cool knob back and forth and get the air to work and sometimes it just blows heat (once it was even blowing the a/c on the heat side). Everyone i have asked tells me that they think this is a problem with the gas but i just think that it is something electrical because it works half the time. I havven't taken it to a shop yet because i was hoping to discover the problem on my own and I don't want to pay a lot of money to get it fixed if it is something we can do ourselves. I was wondering has anyone else had this problem or maybe know what could be wrong? Thanks

gectek
03-10-2007, 09:26 PM
sounds like the place to look would be the air temp actuator door, it is electrical unlike all the other A/C components, it is on the left side of the glove box if you remove it, it looks kind of like a black box with a connector on it. it uses a plastic worm gear drive to move the temp door from in front of the heater core to direction from the a/c coil. the only reason it wouldnt work it a bad temp control, the motor itself, or a binding temp door. easy to check all 3. if you move the temp from hot to cold it will correspond with the actuator moving the door, if it doesnt then there is something wrong there. the rest is just follow the clues, i can get u an electric diagram and a pinout of the actuator and the temp control if you need them

angelashley
03-16-2007, 03:43 PM
thanks, we'll check that out!

angelashley
04-07-2007, 10:18 AM
Hey, the temp actuator door was the problem, would you happen to know the part number for that piece? thanks again

gectek
04-07-2007, 10:48 AM
haha, well i can find out i guess
i do know regular price is about $65

it is pn 89018395 if im not mistaken

angelashley
04-07-2007, 06:34 PM
thanks we ended up just going to a salvage yard and getting one off a wrecked grand am. thanks again for the help