Weird Electrical Issue [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Weird Electrical Issue

slickjoe
03-11-2007, 12:34 PM
This doesn't happen when driving. But when im sitting at a red light or something, when i move the windows up or down, I notice slightly that the headlights/stereo lights dim, and the A/C power fan slows down a little bit. It is like a shortage of power. Anyone have any ideas?

slickjoe
03-11-2007, 12:42 PM
I'm guessing it doesn't do it while the car is moving because the engine keeps the power running or w/e hard to explain. Further details, I am not in park, I am in drive and when sitting at a red light or something is when it does it. Note that it only does it when I move the windows up/down etc. The stereo lights dim, headlights slightly dim, along with (if I have it running) the A/C sustains a slight loss of "power". Anyone have any ideas. I'm just curious.

silvergtjrad
03-11-2007, 01:13 PM
Your alternator is putting out less voltage at idle than it is when driving. The amp draw from the window motor is what causes the lights to dim etc. Its normal.

gectek
03-11-2007, 05:35 PM
i think zzp has an upgrade, but idk if it works or not, it tells the alt that the batt is low on juice and the alt puts out more to compensate, and boosts the charging syst...i also think that mr gasket has a high output alt for our car, which would also fix the issue. the dimming problem is a common occurence on almost all GM cars

digitalballz
03-11-2007, 05:39 PM
new battery

timberwoof
03-11-2007, 06:41 PM
They have alternator boosters out there, you also might look into an upgraded ground system.

slickjoe
03-11-2007, 10:05 PM
The battery is fairly new. It's like 10 months old. Yeah, I didn't think it was a serious problem, I was just curious. I've had this car for two years and just noticed that it did that lol.

gectek
03-11-2007, 10:07 PM
push all the switches and ull notice more of a drain, sometimes adding a ground strap system works, if you want to correct it, then the other stuff, just watch out when you are looking for ground straps if you dont make your own, alot of companies like to give false HP additions by adding the grounding straps...haha dont make me laugh

timberwoof
03-12-2007, 04:53 AM
thicker wiring at the original grounding points, then a few extra just for good measure will more than likely do the trick, there are plenty of guys on here that have done it. I believe there are alot of other threads on here as well. Search for Grounding Kits.

Sprucegagt
03-12-2007, 06:36 AM
I'm guessing it doesn't do it while the car is moving because the engine keeps the power running or w/e hard to explain. Further details, I am not in park, I am in drive and when sitting at a red light or something is when it does it. Note that it only does it when I move the windows up/down etc. The stereo lights dim, headlights slightly dim, along with (if I have it running) the A/C sustains a slight loss of "power". Anyone have any ideas. I'm just curious.

What your explaining happens to all cars as they age. The big culprits are the wiring and ground points. Also the alternator to some extent. I would clean up the ground connection points (ground splice packs) under the hood and see what happens. One is on the driver's side fender, another is bolted to the top of the transmission bell housing and I think another ground splice pack is beside the front transmission mount.