Shifter Cable [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Shifter Cable

03-13-2007, 04:36 PM
I was driving the other night went to make a quick shift to 2nd and engine just revved and the shifter went limp. I immediatly though it was the shift linkage in the car because it had gone out before but it wasn't. After searching I think it is the shifter cable. Here's what I know for sure, All gears still work I checked under the hood. If I shift to neutral under the hood I can Shift to 1st 3rd and 5th but not 2nd 4th or rev. If I shift to 2nd 4th or reverse under the hood, I can shift back to neutral and the upper gears. This is what makes me unsure if it is a cable I hear if the cable goes you can shift at all. The selector cable is still fine. IF it is the shifter cable I found one on ebay for 25 bucks so Does any one have any experience changing the cable, what all is involved and how difficult is it. I am away at college so my selection of tools is somewhat limited to my emergency tool kit and I think I can get some Jack stands from someone. Thanks for any help the worst case is I will have to drive to GM and I am still hurting from the 500 dollar heater core replacement. ps Its a 1998 grand am gt

Lab Rat
03-14-2007, 06:37 AM
You have 2 shifter cables and one of them is f...ed up. New cables from the dealer will be expensive. If you can get a used one from the junk yard that is the cheapest. (unless someone has one for sale). It's not a hard job to switch them, basic tools and an afternoon. GAOC seems to have many older GA's, someone there may also have one. Good luck.

03-14-2007, 09:57 PM
Alright I found out on GAOC that if the shifter cable goes sometimes you can still have push and not pull or vice versa. So I will go ahead and order the cable I saw on ebay. I think that this replacement is in haynes so I should be good. Thanks for the help

notsoaveragej0e
03-14-2007, 10:41 PM
O/T: I didn't know GT's came in a manual version?

03-16-2007, 12:51 PM
http://i13.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/7e/85/9601_1_b.JPG
Can anyone identify this as the cable I found it on ebay for a 98 4 door SE but the listing just says shifter cable so it could be a auto cable or selector cable. I emailed the seller but he hasn't got back at me yet. Thanks

03-17-2007, 10:25 AM
I finally got a look under the car and I think the the cable on ebay is for an automatic. So I am going to order from the gmpartsdirect.com for 81 dollars. I called around 35 junk yards and NOBODY has a standard 96-98 grand am or 97-98 achieva some of them have never heard of a standard grand am.