Knock after sitting two months [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Knock after sitting two months

98GrandAmSE
03-13-2007, 10:00 PM
My car has been parked for 2 months. I i used it yesterday without any problems mostly. when i went to move it last night though I heard a loud ticking inside the car. I didnt think that much of it at the time though. This morning i started the car and heard the same ticking though. I got out of the car and realized that the engine was knocking pretty loud. I went to go shut the car off but by the time i got back inside of it the knocking had stopped. It hasnt done this since. Is there anything that i need to be worried about?

jackal2000
03-13-2007, 10:24 PM
bad gas? thats my best guess.

gectek
03-13-2007, 11:07 PM
no nothing to be worried about, but it is best to start the car every few days just to make sure the seals stay lubricated and everything stays sealed. prob a few seals were nice and dry or crusty from no use. if it sits any longer than that, its usually a good idea to drain the car of water/oil/fluids just to make sure nothing starts to separate and maybe start pitting

tenspeed
03-14-2007, 12:06 AM
The engine has hydraulic lifters. If the lifter had the cam pushing on it, the oil will seep out. It takes a while for the oil to warm up and refill the lifter.

Sometimes they will collapse if you over-rev the engine.

98GrandAmSE
03-14-2007, 01:13 PM
Thanks guys

GMFreak
03-14-2007, 01:30 PM
Mine knocks a little when it's cold because of the hydraulic lifters. Once it gets warmed up it's gone.