1999 grand am gt computer question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 1999 grand am gt computer question

1fastgt
03-16-2007, 01:57 PM
ok i have a question reguarding the computer in my grand am . i have a 1999 grand am gt and i just totaled it way beyond repair but the motor is still good. i picked up a 1999 se with a 3400 in it now my question is is the computer the same? or different ? i would believe its the same but someone told me that its different internally because of different specs due to it being a se not a gt? can anyone fill me in just so i know for sure??

gectek
03-16-2007, 02:01 PM
it should be exactly the same, nothing is really any different from the SE to the GT in the same year

Sprucegagt
03-16-2007, 02:04 PM
it should be exactly the same, nothing is really any different from the SE to the GT in the same year

:clueless:

The computer hardware is the same but the program isn't. SE's got a different final drive ratio in the transmission vs. GT's. That means different shift points programmed into the computer.

notsoaveragej0e
03-16-2007, 02:12 PM
:clueless:

The computer hardware is the same but the program isn't. SE's got a different final drive ratio in the transmission vs. GT's. That means different shift points programmed into the computer.

does the GT have more aggressive shifting then?

gectek
03-16-2007, 02:44 PM
it would be very interesting to see though, i mean esp with the shift adapts. i really dont know as that would make much of a difference, it would prob shift alot sooner because the program would be running with the 3.29 diff and not the actual 3.05, i have not heard of it, but i doubt it would be much of a driveability issue. if it is, then just take it to the dealer and have them flash the comp.

i know TE used the 4t45 in his se...wonder if he changed anything or had any problems, but also the computer can sense the FDR and gear ratio due to the ISS and OSS, so ideally you dont have to change the comp for any FDR change, just shift points if you need to do that also

Sprucegagt
03-16-2007, 05:33 PM
Well GM did make separate 99 GASE and 99 GAGT BIN files for a reason. So if you don't want to believe me. Be my guest and look them up on the DHP forums.

gectek
03-16-2007, 05:47 PM
i didnt say i didnt believe you, you said shift points, i said shift points. i was agreeing with u in the fact that they are diff, but not that much different. like i said idk if tejohnson had to flash his comp or change it with the PT. i just wanna know in the real world how much of a difference would be noticed.