Horn inop after cleaning multi switch [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Horn inop after cleaning multi switch

MonaB
03-24-2007, 10:11 AM
My boyfriend fixed the problem with the random blinking, but my horn stopped working a few days later. The pin on the multi switch has been depressed. When he touched the metal disc thingy with a screwdriver, the horn would go off without even pressing the horn, but the horn itself won't work when pressed. Could someone please help me?

gectek
03-25-2007, 06:00 PM
did the horn stop working after the few days, or did it not work at first and u just noticed it after the few days. also it might just be a connector left off, or the spring loaded pin was not seated right or maybe he didnt reassemble the multi switch right

but what you are saying is that the horn worked when he pushes on the clock spring but not on the horn....porb a conn off, also just make sure and check the fuses

Gizm0815
03-25-2007, 06:23 PM
you didnt reinstall the multiswitch correctly look for the thread about cleaning it if you reinstall it wrong the horn wont work. ill see what i can dig up but im almost postive that thats whats wrong.

Gizm0815
03-25-2007, 06:26 PM
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50126&highlight=switch

read that and look at the pics youll see where your problem is and how to fix it should only take a few min.

gectek
03-25-2007, 06:27 PM
yah...that would be the spring loaded pin behind the multi switch

MonaB
03-31-2007, 01:45 PM
did the horn stop working after the few days, or did it not work at first and u just noticed it after the few days. also it might just be a connector left off, or the spring loaded pin was not seated right or maybe he didnt reassemble the multi switch right

but what you are saying is that the horn worked when he pushes on the clock spring but not on the horn.
Yes, when he touches the disc with a screwdriver, the horn will work, but it won't work when the steering wheel itself is pressed. We also noticed the spring loaded pin in the switch be sticking. We read the thread and viewed the install pics also.

ANOTHER problem i'm having is the left turn signal isn't self cancelling itself out when making a turn along with the high beams automatically come on when signalling. He was just trying to help me save money, but I guess he screwed it up more. :banghead

gectek
03-31-2007, 01:46 PM
yah he installed it wrong. i would say drive over here and ill help, but thats a long way away...lol. anyway just have him or a mechanic go back over the steps and make sure the connectors are plugged in, the switch is assembled right and the spring loaded pin is behind the clock spring

MonaB
04-01-2007, 02:56 PM
Ok, he fixed the self cancelling signal issue, the sticking spring loaded pin issue and the high beam issue, but the horn still doesn't want to work. The spring loaded pin IS depressed behind the gold disc thingy like noted in the instructions. The horn only works when he bridges the gold disc thingy and the metal housing with a screwdriver. We just don't understand why my horn stopped working days later after he fixed the turn signal issue. :confused:

gectek
04-01-2007, 10:17 PM
so the horn ONLY works when u push on the clock spring and not when you push on the horn part on the air bag. may be a bad airbag module. things like that happen, but not normally. i would just go back and triple check all of the connectors and wiring

USRobo
04-22-2007, 09:45 AM
I just fixed my multifunction switch and now the horn stopped working. The pin for the horn was bent a little and would not go in and out so I straightened it and it moves fine now but still no horn unless I ground it against the metal block in the steering wheel.

Did anyone solve this probelm?

so the horn ONLY works when u push on the clock spring and not when you push on the horn part on the air bag. may be a bad airbag module. things like that happen, but not normally. i would just go back and triple check all of the connectors and wiring