Has GM fixed their Gasket Leak Problems on new Vehicles/Engines [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Has GM fixed their Gasket Leak Problems on new Vehicles/Engines

Mike Jung
03-24-2007, 10:25 AM
I wondering, to the owners of new GM Vehicles (like after the GAGT was discontinued):

If GM has fixed their gasket leaking problems ?

In the distance future:
I might consider a Pontiac G8 (with a V8 engine & 6-speed automatic transmission with shift control); & don't want to deal with replacing my LIM gasket twice like in my current GA.

Like I never heard of anyone having leaking gasket issues with LS-series V8 engines.
So why so much problems with their V6 engines, in the past ?

Off-Topic:
I read on another forum...
That the Pontiac G8 will be built in Oshawa, ON after like 2010.
The same place that will build the new Chevy Camaro.
So I am hoping that means both cars will be available to the Canadian market.
(I like the Pontiac G8 looks better though.)

digitalballz
03-24-2007, 12:42 PM
The new gaskets from felpro at least are not plastic anymore, there made out of metal. Which from what ive seen in the last couple of years has solved the leaky LIM prob. Of course we all know that any engine can leak at any time. I now have an LS1, granted theres only 8300 miles on the clock, but not even the slightset leak has shown up yet.

SilverEcstasy
03-24-2007, 12:46 PM
As far as I thought, the G8 was going to be built and imported from AUS like they did the GTO.

Either way, I wouldn't get another 3.4L gm car. Like the Equinox and Torrent I believe use the 3.4L thats in the GA. Obviously if you had gasket issues on the one, you'll definitely have it another 3.4L. Don't know if it's limited to that engine or not, but I personally haven't had engine issues with any other GM car.

My 94 GA (3.1) had gasket issues and so did my 03 (3.4) GA.

drumking1721
03-24-2007, 01:01 PM
^^^ yea thats what i heard

Panacea
03-24-2007, 01:25 PM
According to spoon, the 3.4's problem was the engine design--not the gasket.

pyro
03-24-2007, 01:28 PM
According to spoon, the 3.4's problem was the engine design--not the gasket.

indeed, the newer engines dont have coolant going through the manifolds anymore IIRC.
and didnt they stop using dex-cool?

Mike Jung
03-24-2007, 01:53 PM
Off-Topic:
I read on another forum...
That the Pontiac G8 will be built in Oshawa, ON after like 2010.
The same place that will build the new Chevy Camaro.
So I am hoping that means both cars will be available to the Canadian market.
(I like the Pontiac G8 looks better though.)

As far as I thought, the G8 was going to be built and imported from AUS like they did the GTO...
Posted by someone else, on another forum.
Not sure on the accuracy of it though.
...The initial production of the G8 will be from Australia.
By 2010, the G8 is tentatively scheduled to switch production to Oshawa, Ontario.
The Oshawa plant has won many awards for their quality in assembly...
With Pontiac Grand Prix being discontinued, that was assembled at the Oshawa, ON plant;
The Chevy Camaro being built there;
It would kinda make sense to assemble the Pontiac G8 at Oshawa, ON plant.

Rich
03-24-2007, 02:03 PM
ive read on here there have been issues with the G6 having the same problem. but like you said its the LS series so i doubt they would have a similiar problem.

AaronGTR
03-24-2007, 02:38 PM
I haven't heard of the G6 having these problems. They have new style gaskets on the 3500 and they have the rubber gaskets between the LIM and the block instead of just using RTV like the 3400. Of course... I never even had a leak issue with my 3400. I replaced the gaskets with the new style when I did work on it and used the correct installation/torque procedure and have never had an issue with it. I think half of the success of not having leaks is simply using new gaskets every time like you are supposed to and the care and attention of the mechanic doing the work.

Y2KGA
03-24-2007, 07:44 PM
Considering that GM now has a 5 year 100,000 mile powertrain, I would hope that the problem is solved. Otherwise they are going to be swamped with warranty claims for all those 3500 V6 engines since there would be a good chance that the LIM will fail within 5 years.

frmtheash
03-24-2007, 09:03 PM
Considering that GM now has a 5 year 100,000 mile powertrain, I would hope that the problem is solved. Otherwise they are going to be swamped with warranty claims for all those 3500 V6 engines since there would be a good chance that the LIM will fail within 5 years.

great, my car is going to blow up within a year......how hard/much mechanical knowledge does one need to know to replace one???

Tony
03-25-2007, 01:49 PM
I also experienced the gasket problem on my 3.4L, however I was told that the same type of gasket problem exists on many other GM V6 and V8 engines. I wasn't quite sure which other engines are effected. Could anyone clarify if the 3.8L V6, 5.3L V8, or the Vortec truck engines are effected? This would definitely influence my next purchase because I am reluctant to get another 60-degree GM V6, that includes the 3.5L and 3.9L high-value V6 engines and 3.6L high-feature V6 engine which are found in most of GM's current lineup.

awaadster3
03-25-2007, 01:52 PM
As far as I thought, the G8 was going to be built and imported from AUS like they did the GTO.

Either way, I wouldn't get another 3.4L gm car. Like the Equinox and Torrent I believe use the 3.4L thats in the GA. Obviously if you had gasket issues on the one, you'll definitely have it another 3.4L. Don't know if it's limited to that engine or not, but I personally haven't had engine issues with any other GM car.

My 94 GA (3.1) had gasket issues and so did my 03 (3.4) GA.

i believe the engine in the Equinox and Torrent are Chinese built engines, and not the same ones in Grand Ams.