A/C Fuse keeps blowing, weird??? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : A/C Fuse keeps blowing, weird???

eBandit
03-25-2007, 08:21 PM
My car had an ac leak and a noisy ac clutch, so I had new lines put on, new a/c comp. with clutch, new orfice tube, new accum. etc... When I picked the car up I noticed the auto lock/unlock of the doors when you put the car in gear or turn it off wasnt working anymore. Then I noticed the a/c wasnt either, so I took the car back and it was a blown fuse, but the fuse blew again a few days later.

I then took the car elsewhere and they tested everything and said it was all within specs and was working fine after the blown fuse was replaced, when I picked the car up I noticed that the auto lock/unlock feature was working again even though they didnt do anyting other than replace the fuse and test everything.

It worked the few time I used the defrost and then the second time I used the ac for a short while I was driving down the road and all at once my doors unlocked by themselves, I then noticed the the ac was no longer cold after that happened. And the same fuse was blown again. It is the fuse under the hood labeled A/C BFC (10A) (fuse number 37) and had a 15A in it the last few times.

Anyone have any ideas about this???

Thanks,
Charles

eBandit
03-27-2007, 01:00 PM
Any techs out there ever heard of such a problem? Now each time a new fuse is put in, it blows as soon as the ac is switched on. I dont understand why this issue corresponds with the auto lock/unlock feature either.

eBandit
06-07-2007, 07:19 AM
Well with a 20amp fuse in it, it has been working until another problem came up with the ac clutch (for the third time!).

So no one has ever had such a problem? Not a single reply.

lone_wolf025
06-07-2007, 07:15 PM
Typically when a fuse keeps popping that means you have a short in the circuit. I find it surprising no one has found anything but considering the way most places are about actually hunting down an issue that doesn't throw a code I have to wonder how they checked it all. Double check the fuse panel to see what the rating is supposed to be and go from there. By putting a higher amp fuse (than is supposed to be there) all you're doing is putting a bandaid on the problem.

gectek
06-10-2007, 04:04 PM
either a shorted clutch coil, even a new one isnt perfect, or a short to ground somewhere in the system...those are the only 2 things that will do that, now im not sure if the 2 systems are on the same circuit, but they may have shorted some wires together as well...just pull up a wiring diagram for the circuit and look it over. then use an ohm meter with long leads to check and make sure the circuits arent crossed

Kebo
07-24-2008, 10:55 AM
I am having a similar problem with my 2000 GAGT. While researching the issue I came across this thread. What did you find to be the culprit?

atc3434
10-24-2012, 09:31 AM
Hey - I have a friend with a similar problem - anybody ever get anywhere with this?

Kebo
10-24-2012, 09:48 AM
Actually my daughter totaled her GT before I fixed the problem but I think the problem was the electro-magnet in the AC clutch. My plan was to replace the clutch assembly and I believe the problem would have been resolved.