Water Leak/ Scraped window? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Water Leak/ Scraped window?

eBandit
03-25-2007, 09:28 PM
My window was getting scraped when it went down or up. One of the plastic clips we all love was broke and I bought a new GM power window regulator off of ebay. After I installed it, I thought the scraping would go away but it didnt and the only thing I can see touching the window glass in that spot is the sash/rubber trim on the outside of the door (piece that attches on the outside and is snug to window to keep water out). Why is it still getting scraped?

I also have a water leak on the same side (pass.) but only when the car is parked eaning towards the opp. side. It comes from under the door and runs into the back floor panel. Tne door drain spots arent clogged and I cant see why it is doing this, any ideas?

Thanks,

Pitter98
03-26-2007, 08:25 AM
My window was getting scraped when it went down or up. One of the plastic clips we all love was broke and I bought a new GM power window regulator off of ebay. After I installed it, I thought the scraping would go away but it didnt and the only thing I can see touching the window glass in that spot is the sash/rubber trim on the outside of the door (piece that attches on the outside and is snug to window to keep water out). Why is it still getting scraped?

That would be from GM's crappy weatherseal design at the bottom of the windows. Dirt and debris and crap gets caught in the weatherseal at the bottom of the window, then it scratches the hell out of the window as it goes up and down. It's been a known problem from all the 99+ - it was supposedly "fixed" for the 2003's and on, but I have a 2003.5 and can guarantee you that it hasn't been fixed. I had my both my front windows replaced under warranty about a year ago due to scratches, and they're already scratched all up again. About the only way to keep them from scratching is to put your windows down like once a week and wipe all the dirt and junk out from the bottom window seal. If you happen to still be under warranty, take it in and they will replace them for you.....otherwise you're pretty much SOL like everybody else. :rage:

eBandit
03-27-2007, 01:57 PM
Thanks, I guess I'll look for some and replace them. I hope there is some sort of rubbing compound available that might help buff the cratches to where they are a little less noticable.