Igniting Problem w/ true HID Lights [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Igniting Problem w/ true HID Lights

03Grandam
03-27-2007, 03:30 PM
Recently I just installed HID lights on my GA and I pulled the relay for the DRL since the ballast would be getting a shortage of power if I hadn't removed it. Well we know we have Automatic lamp control and when it's time for my lights to come on due to lack of darkness the driver side ignites perfectly but the passenger side sometimes will ignite too but most of the time it flickers on then goes out, so what I am having to do is manually flip the lights off then back on so it will ignite.

I called the manufacture of these lights and they told me that the ballast isn't getting a fully supply of voltage and it has to have the correct amount to ignite. What can I do to correct this? Has anyone else had this problem when they've installed their HID's too.

Thanks

Mirage85
03-27-2007, 08:35 PM
What I posted in your other thread:

Originally Posted by 03Grandam
You know, I totally know what you mean. I bought the set I have now from Proexhaust. I'll never buy anything from them *******s plus I knew about their second name. The second set I ordered came from Revotec but they accepted a return and I got my full amount back. Revotec responded to my e-mails quicky and they also we're very polite about my return, very professional.

By the way, do you have HID's on your car? Cause I just recently bought a set and I'm having a problem with the driver side igniting when the ALC turns the lights on. I have to shut them off with the switch then turn them back on before the sob will ignite because most of the time it tries to ignite, flickers then goes out. I think the ballast isn't getting enough power because I've switched bulbs and ballast around and it still does the same thing.

Yeah man, I have HID's... and I know exactly what your refering too....

Now, What I notice is when its dark, if you just turn the key to start, the lights will ignite, then all the power goes to the starter, and the light will out out, then back on... so If you turn the key fast, they wont re ignite... but if you go to ON, then wait a second or 2, then start, they will still go out, but they will come right on... or you can turn the switch so they are on before you turn the key to start.

So you dont have an extra set of black headlights?

03Grandam
03-28-2007, 03:49 PM
No sorry, revotec gave me a full refund which I was quite thankful for, I honestly didn't think proexhaust was even going to ship them housing out to me, and they were not black with the white corner. They were all chrome, I don't think that blacked out ones would allow for much light reflection. I think a white vehicle with those lights look awsome. I named my car white lighting, lol.

pyro
03-28-2007, 04:15 PM
disable the auto lights.
check your wiring and relay

03Grandam
03-28-2007, 07:57 PM
DRL has already been disabled. I was told to get a relay harness kit that hooks right to the battery, I might try that route and see if it works.

iceman
03-28-2007, 07:58 PM
Buncha people w/ HIDs had the same thing, just turn on the lights manually, or to recover quickly just flick the high beams on and off and it'll fire em both

drumking1721
04-06-2007, 08:35 PM
does anyone have any problems with ozniums kits?

drumking1721
04-07-2007, 09:18 AM
anyone?

laxjax13
04-07-2007, 09:42 AM
Buncha people w/ HIDs had the same thing, just turn on the lights manually, or to recover quickly just flick the high beams on and off and it'll fire em both

what he said. i had the same problem with my pilot hids.

have your ebrake pulled up when u start your car so they dont flicker, then after the car is on drop the ebrake.

ryanbgb22
04-07-2007, 09:44 AM
i've been having the same problem and i got mine hooked up through relays and directly through the battery. I;m pretty sure the reason was the plug that goes into the ballast wasnt making good contact, i moved it around the other day and i havent had a problem since. So i guess what im saying is check your wiring.

drumking1721
04-07-2007, 09:50 AM
well im electrically retarded so idk now about getting them

ryanbgb22
04-07-2007, 10:57 AM
well im electrically retarded so idk now about getting them

for most people its really easy to install and is just a plug and play unit. The reason i used a relay system is becuase i didnt want any possibility of messing up stock wiring - i have never heard of anyone with a ga, or any other car for that matter who has screwed anything up though. I had a relay kit from a foglight system laying around so i decided to use it.

XMBlackGT1
04-07-2007, 11:18 AM
Are you guys using the HID wiring that came with the kit? *knock on wood* I have never had any problems with my HID kit in my car. I did disable the DRL's but kept the auto headlamps. I purchased a CATZ brand kit.

Part of your problem could also be if the balast is touching metal- then its not going to work properly.

drumking1721
04-07-2007, 02:12 PM
for most people its really easy to install and is just a plug and play unit. The reason i used a relay system is becuase i didnt want any possibility of messing up stock wiring - i have never heard of anyone with a ga, or any other car for that matter who has screwed anything up though. I had a relay kit from a foglight system laying around so i decided to use it.

yea the whole relay word kidna scared me...i was looking at Oziums kit.....are they any good??

iceman
04-07-2007, 02:55 PM
what he said. i had the same problem with my pilot hids.

have your ebrake pulled up when u start your car so they dont flicker, then after the car is on drop the ebrake.

I never really spent the time to figure out why, since it's not a big deal and there are so many ways around it..

my equinox does the same thing as my GA, must be a GM thing or somethin to do with how they do negative trigger headlights.

just deal with it, the fix is not worth it when theres such an easy workaround

drumking1721
04-07-2007, 02:58 PM
the thing is...i just dont wanna get this kit,and find someway to blow the bulbs or just ruin the kit...i mean i disconnected my DRLs like over a year ago...and that what some people are saying to do

iceman
04-07-2007, 03:00 PM
I've been using the same HIDs since thanksgiving 2002 w/ no issues. Disable DRLs yes.. the rest is up to you.

drumking1721
04-07-2007, 03:13 PM
Seth which kit do you have? our sponsors kit or another one?

iceman
04-07-2007, 03:29 PM
lol .. "misterjung" prob has the worst reputation on the net for HID kits. it has hella ballasts and no-name bulbs.. never had a problem with them though.

ancona46
04-07-2007, 03:33 PM
i have the same problem sometimes with my oznium kit its normal just flick it off then back on and all is well

drumking1721
04-07-2007, 04:07 PM
well shoot...im in a tizzy now.....shoot at me the best kit...im getting one here in a couple weeks..

ryanbgb22
04-07-2007, 04:17 PM
well shoot...im in a tizzy now.....shoot at me the best kit...im getting one here in a couple weeks..

imo, if you have stock headlights i wouldnt get them. there find with the autodyanasty, but when i tried to put them in stock housings i couldt get the glare down enough. There will prob be people who disagree with me but those were my expirances.

XMBlackGT1
04-07-2007, 04:17 PM
I bought a kit from xenondepot.com for my Solara and its awesome. I have never had problems with it. Their customer service is awesome too.

drumking1721
04-07-2007, 05:22 PM
imo, if you have stock headlights i wouldnt get them. there find with the autodyanasty, but when i tried to put them in stock housings i couldt get the glare down enough. There will prob be people who disagree with me but those were my expirances.

I got the black autodynastys like amonth ago,and i have the silverstar ultras in them now,an i dont like them,there not bright enough and i like the look of the HID

drumking1721
04-07-2007, 05:28 PM
the xenondepots are pretty pricey....the xtreme ones are cheaper but produce a purpleish light..i want the blue

drumking1721
04-07-2007, 07:54 PM
anyone

ryanbgb22
04-07-2007, 10:27 PM
i have just some brand on ebay right now. I couldnt really tell you what brands are better than others. I have 10000K and i love them. I had 8000K in the past and they didnt look blue enough. But anyway, autodyansty's and hids work out really well.

xeneizes
01-12-2008, 10:38 PM
I just tried to install a hid kit and got the flickering problem. I removed the DRL Relay and the 50 and 51 fuses and it does the same thing.

It flickrs like crazy and they doesnt ignate. Any suggestions that i may use to make them work? Perhaps install a relay for the HID kit?

THanks!!

boost21
01-12-2008, 11:03 PM
Simple solution: Relay power from battery or fuse box

xeneizes
01-13-2008, 10:48 AM

Would definitely tried that today. Do I have to remove the DRL Relay even with the new relay i would be installing?

Thank You.

boost21
01-13-2008, 11:12 AM
DRL relay has nothing to do with it, what a relay will do is use your stock hl wires to trigger the relay to pull power to the ballast. Pulling the drl relay will eliminate the drls and the SVS light during the day

AleroME
01-13-2008, 11:36 AM

Correct! If that don't fix it, then your ballasts are going out. Hopefully you' didn't buy a cheap kit made in china. Those ballasts lasts a year or two max.

xeneizes
01-13-2008, 03:21 PM
Correct! If that don't fix it, then your ballasts are going out. Hopefully you' didn't buy a cheap kit made in china. Those ballasts lasts a year or two max.

Thanks for the answer guys. I was going to install it today but decided to do it until tomorrow.

Would post pics of how it looks and if it works or not (hopefully it would work fine)

Thanks Again.:applause: