No power steering [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : No power steering

USRobo
03-27-2007, 09:23 PM
No power steering when stopped but when the car is moving it works fine. No noises. Dealer says it needs the rack & pinion replaced. Is this the pump or variable assist valve.

Need help!

Thanks

polo77
03-27-2007, 09:32 PM
ya mine is starting to go to n i think its the rack n pinion makes a clicking noise when i turn to the left after turning right

Sprucegagt
03-27-2007, 09:48 PM
No power steering when stopped but when the car is moving it works fine. No noises. Dealer says it needs the rack & pinion replaced. Is this the pump or variable assist valve.

Need help!

Thanks

Rack and Pinion, pump and variable assist valves are all separate items. Which one are you talking about?

99GTCoupe
03-27-2007, 11:18 PM
Yeah, I know that one painfully in my wallet. I had to get my power steering pump AND electronic valve replaced, hurt big time. I don't know exactly how the rack and pinion and power steering system react, so can't be much help. But most likely, if you want to get the pump/valve replaced, go to a trusted mechanic and not the dealer. Should cost less, though I think they need to get the valve (possibly the pump as well, but I think you can buy those) from GM anyways.

Sorry to hear, from my experience that problem can hurt the wallet. It cost $700 to get everything fixed, and it all started with a line busting. The fluid emptied and ruined the pump ><