Lifters Ticking [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Lifters Ticking

NorKoastal
03-30-2007, 02:32 PM
Hello GA squad...

Ive been trying to troubleshoot a ticking sound that has been nagging me since my LIM was replaced by my trusty local dealer 6 months back...

The first time I noticed the noise it was a swooshy sound that I thought sounded like the fuel rail movement..

That sound has developed into a nice tick that I hear when driving past fences or drive thru's.

I have determined that this is not knock related or the typical engine slap noise on startup as it is constantly there and not only there when its cold, the same volume under load, and gets louder with the RPM's

I just changed my oil a couple weeks back hoping that the swap with some Marvel Mystery oil would catch some debris that might be causing a lifter to not work properly.

My second task before heading to the dealer is to pull the valve covers and check the torque on the rockers... Will I need to drain my oil prior to doing this or can I remove then (while engine is cold) and replace?

Should I use RTV with he new felpro valve cover gaskets??
Will I need to remove the coil packs and alternator to remove the back cover?

Thanks guys. :applause:

jackal2000
03-30-2007, 03:28 PM
how many miles on the motor?

NorKoastal
03-30-2007, 03:48 PM
how many miles on the motor?

Sprucegagt
03-30-2007, 10:25 PM
Hello GA squad...

Ive been trying to troubleshoot a ticking sound that has been nagging me since my LIM was replaced by my trusty local dealer 6 months back...

The first time I noticed the noise it was a swooshy sound that I thought sounded like the fuel rail movement..

That sound has developed into a nice tick that I hear when driving past fences or drive thru's.

I have determined that this is not knock related or the typical engine slap noise on startup as it is constantly there and not only there when its cold, the same volume under load, and gets louder with the RPM's

I just changed my oil a couple weeks back hoping that the swap with some Marvel Mystery oil would catch some debris that might be causing a lifter to not work properly.

My second task before heading to the dealer is to pull the valve covers and check the torque on the rockers... Will I need to drain my oil prior to doing this or can I remove then (while engine is cold) and replace?

Should I use RTV with he new felpro valve cover gaskets??
Will I need to remove the coil packs and alternator to remove the back cover?

Thanks guys. :applause:

That tick could be any number of things timing chain slap, collapsed lifter, noisy rocker arm, etc... It's just something that is common on all 60* V6 engines I've been around. You can try checking the rocker arm bolts, but plenty of people have had there engines torn down with over 100,000 miles and not had a single rocker bolt loose. Personally I think it's timing chain slap, if your tick is the same as mine and only happens at low rpm, low speed conditions.

As for the Marvel Mystery oil, I wouldn't bother with it. It'll only make more oil leaks without fixing anything.

Rocker cover gaskets only need a slight amount of RTV on the triangle shaped pieces and yes, the coil packs and alternator need to come out to remove the rear cover.