Power Seat [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Power Seat

Snowboardr18
03-31-2007, 12:03 PM
My driver's power seat is power to raise and lower but mechanical to slide forward/back and tilt. My power vertical lifter no longer works. When I press it, I hear it running but nothing happens.

I have searched for this and came up to these 2 threads.

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65365&highlight=power+seat

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65499)

Those threads did not help me. I think I have to replace the entire motor like they said but the picture is different than under my seat. I also don't know how to remove the motor itself. Here are some pics I took

This is the bottom of my seat:
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/8921/img7513rm9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

This is the motor and I circled the pin that I have been trying to get out but I can't seem to get it out. I think that is what I need to get off to replace it.

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/9704/img75152xq9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Jake
03-31-2007, 12:36 PM
Mine did the same one day, then worked, then didnt, Im pretty sure it has a mind of its own so i said meh, o well, :D

Snowboardr18
03-31-2007, 02:39 PM
mine stopped and hasn't worked since. i'm need to fix it NOW so i can sell it

ledfreak
04-01-2007, 02:16 PM
According to my research you can only purchase the entire seat when replacing the 2-way seat motor, GM wanted $290 about a year ago. I spent a year researching before giving up and going to a J-yard for parts.

Your best bet is to get an entire seat assy from a junkyard & swap the entire seat assy out & also changing seat cover if necessary.

If you are set on replacing the motor & drive assy only then the only way is to:
1. drive pin out about halfway, cut it off & drive the rest of the pin out. This is best accomplished by removing the seat from the car.
2. Find a replacement assy in a J-yard, remove that from the donor using method in 1 above.
3. install donor seat motor using an 8mm diameter bolt graded at least 8.8 & self locking nut. Reinstall seat.

Y2KGA
04-01-2007, 08:53 PM
According to my research you can only purchase the entire seat when replacing the 2-way seat motor, GM wanted $290 about a year ago. I spent a year researching before giving up and going to a J-yard for parts.

Your best bet is to get an entire seat assy from a junkyard & swap the entire seat assy out & also changing seat cover if necessary.

If you are set on replacing the motor & drive assy only then the only way is to:
1. drive pin out about halfway, cut it off & drive the rest of the pin out. This is best accomplished by removing the seat from the car.
2. Find a replacement assy in a J-yard, remove that from the donor using method in 1 above.
3. install donor seat motor using an 8mm diameter bolt graded at least 8.8 & self locking nut. Reinstall seat.

I had my motor fail a few years ago, the dealer replaced the "seat adjuster". I didn't get a new seat.

gectek
04-01-2007, 10:32 PM
im going to get my new seat motor tomorrow. i removed mine. it didnt take much effort at all, just some tools. what i did was u have to take the brass rings off both of the pins on the motor side of the seat bottom. when u do that, you can slide the entire side away alot, and take the pin out closest to the motor. then take a screwdriver and put it in the slot where the motor side of the atuactor was in it and pry to move the seat upward, then you can take the other pin out. just use a punch or a screw( i did) and they will come out easy. the only way i removed the retaining rings were to cut them off with a chisel. also before you can slide the side of the seat off, then u should remove the linkage that connects both sides of the seat together for the adjuster.

gectek
04-02-2007, 11:11 PM
ok well bad news, you cannot just get the motor and actuator, you have to get the entire seat bottom. an auto parts store may have it though. i havent checked yet. for some reason you can buy the 6 way motors separate but not the up down motor. a JY is the best place to maybe look, but the prob isnt the motor, it is the plastic gear for the actuator, the motor is a metal worm drive and it chews up the plastic teeth, i know because i took mine apart. maybe an aftermarket company makes them. i will look at that tomorrow

ledfreak
04-03-2007, 10:43 AM
There are NO aftermarket 2 way seat motors for th GA that I am aware of, and we had a VP from Opel trying to get us one.

I couldn't even find the company that manufactured them anywhere (web, phonebook, etc.)

I did find some similar motors with attached gearing & spindle that are made by Bosch & Valeo but couldn't find a reseller, even with asssistance from the manufacturers.

JY is probably the best choice ($ wise) for a 2 way assy.
---OR ---
You could get an entire seat at the JY with the 6 way adjustment & switch the seat covers, then reinstall. Probably easiest way& it plugs right into the stock wiring.

gectek
04-03-2007, 11:01 AM
IIRC GM Lear made the motor in canada, but the tag also says made in USA...so 2 contradicting statements.

also the motor is not the problem, the plastic gear is. ill post a pic when i can get one

ledfreak
04-03-2007, 01:14 PM
I'm with you on the stripped gear problem, mine was the same way.

When I priced it out to have one made ($70) since I couldn't find a suitable replacement, I decided to wait until I could pull an assy from a JY ($20).

gectek
04-04-2007, 10:26 PM
well on a better note, if you buy the quick time elec cutout, you can use the old switch and wiring harness assembly with a slight modification to run the elec cutout from your drivers seat via the up down switch...that is my project now and it will be done soon

LCW
07-20-2011, 12:12 PM
I am writing this after using the help given in this thread and letting the readers know about doing a gear change which no one seems to have tried.

I removed the seat, pulled the actuator by chiseling off the two compression washers (and replacing them with collars with set screws and re-installed the front pin and used a bolt and lock nut on the rear pin). I pulled the nylon gear and its shaft from the motor by removing the two screws attaching the motor to the actuator and had a gear shop make a brass gear. They had to machine the shaft to accept the new gear. The cost was a little less than getting the motor and actuator assembly from a GM on line source. The part number is written on the motor. Mine said it was made in Mexico. I decided to go with a new metal gear because I felt a junk yard assembly with a brittle nylon gear would break quickly and a factory replacement had been laying around and the nylon was probably brittle and could also break. The new gear is on and packed in grease and should last longer than my 2004. GT. I used a gear shop on line, but you probably could save money by finding one locally.

Shade2012
07-20-2011, 12:37 PM
Holy old thread batman.