my grand am broke again... upgrade time! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : my grand am broke again... upgrade time!

ScitzoFitzo
04-01-2007, 02:32 AM
i have a 97 grand am that just lost the head gasket on it today, its got oil leaks all over the place. and its the 2.4, and im honestly tired of the lack of poer, and i do enjoy the 5 speed, but somethings got to go... i think i might try something a little stupid.... i have a v8 sitting in a car outback... i have a rear end and a driveshaft... and the rear end is independant... its all electronic set-up and complete... i think i might try a conversion.... from a front wheel 4 popper, to a rear wheel aluminum v8 smallblock grand am, with an automatic overdrive transmission. anyone got any commets or questions? keep in mind this is going to be a low-budget junkyard build, and nothing spectacular. i would say the make of the parts that will be the drivetrain, but i know alot of people out there would want to slap me.

Devo
04-01-2007, 10:20 AM
Well im not sure if this is even possible or not but Im sure someone will chime in on it. Either way theres nothing like a RWD V8 so good luck to you.

WeibSunder
04-01-2007, 12:06 PM
Yeah, IF it works, that will be sick.

ScitzoFitzo
04-01-2007, 12:07 PM
im actually baseing my idea off the ford focus, if they can cram a 5.0 or a 4.6 into those things, i think i can shove one into a grand am, i already did an old 94 sunbird with a 302 chevy in it, and it fit just fine, i never finished the rear end however.

notsoaveragej0e
04-01-2007, 12:14 PM
DO IT! What have you got to lose?

ScitzoFitzo
04-01-2007, 12:25 PM
but since where here anyways... the motor to be used is a 5.0 high output from ford with a automatic transmission and a all digital dash, race fuel cell, and a thunderbird rear end.

notsoaveragej0e
04-01-2007, 12:28 PM
It'll be a pain in the ass to do all the fabrication, but if you have the time/knowledge/money then it'll be worth it- you'll have a one-of-a-kind RWD GA...I can only think of one other RWD GA w/a V8 that most ppl on here know of.

ScitzoFitzo
04-01-2007, 12:54 PM
i kinda feel bad for the poor grand am, i took the time to put in a olds 2.4 and a 5 speed from a cavalier, and custom welded exhuast with a side-out pipes on it, and there are pictures on www.myspace.com/scitzofitzo but then again, i think i might do all that, and confuse people with keeping it stock looking stance, and put dual cannons on it to make them think its a tuner wannabe

TurboAlero
04-01-2007, 01:15 PM
Well you can do it but it's gonna be alot of costume fab. It wil be cool if you can make every thing work together.

silvergtjrad
04-01-2007, 01:18 PM
That would be a pretty sweet drag car. Is that the 5.0 from a stang? Everyone and their uncle has one, which = tons of aftermarket for it.

cardude007617
04-01-2007, 03:09 PM
gealous already, cuz thats one area the GAs are lacking, is real horsepower. i mean 180 is okay, but slam the v8 in there and wow weeeeeeeeeeeeeee

ScitzoFitzo
04-01-2007, 06:26 PM
it is a 5.0 out of my old drag thunderbird i used to take to the strip, its basic stock with a lightweight car, so its the same as the mustang 5.0, the good old "5.0 H.O." emblum on top