tap tap & more [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : tap tap & more

Jetski29
04-03-2007, 12:35 PM
hey guys this yesterday into today i started hearing a clicking or tapping from my engine and it speeds up with my rpms, i'm late on my oil change by about 2,000 miles and was wondering if it could just be a valve tapping as it sounds like its coming from the upper backside of the engine. i'm planning on changing my oil later tonight and would also like to know if i should change to a synthetic oil or keep with standard and i'm still using 10-w40 is this what i should stick with?

Since Iím on the topic of issues Iím having, my brakes seem to have hesitation in them. When I go to stop it almost seems like the rotor is warped and as the brake pad compresses it only starts to touch certain areas of the rotor at first. As I press the brake harder it starts to smooth out yet the brake pedal vibrates with pressure. Is there any easy way to check if my rotor is warped??

Last but not least on my drivers side front tire there is a humming that started about 2 weeks ago and I believe it is my wheel bearing, is there any way to check this and how hard is it to replace on a grand am.

Thanks for all your help guys

Jason

gectek
04-03-2007, 01:44 PM
hell no def not 10-40, stock oil is 5 30 ONLY.

next question, yet your rotors are warped, and the pins may be galded and dry on the caliper slides.

last question, if karma is right it is definately your wheel bearing, which ever side it may be. the best way to check is to jack the car up and check for side play of the tire.

XtremeGaGt00
04-03-2007, 01:53 PM
hell no def not 10-40, stock oil is 5 30 ONLY.

next question, yet your rotors are warped, and the pins may be galded and dry on the caliper slides.

last question, if karma is right it is definately your wheel bearing, which ever side it may be. the best way to check is to jack the car up and check for side play of the tire.

CORRECTION...up and down movement of the tire is wheel bearing play...side to side is tie rod wear...

gectek
04-03-2007, 10:48 PM
correction BOTH are bad wear of the bearing.

lone_wolf025
04-03-2007, 11:07 PM
Both can be wear of the bearing but typically the side to side is indicative of rods especially if other symptoms like loose steering are evident.

gectek
04-03-2007, 11:11 PM
but checking play by prying in and out on the bottom of the tire while the car is jacked up is a check and inspection to test the wheel bearing

alphawhisky
04-11-2007, 05:24 PM
here is an easyer way to check if wheel bearing. driving down the road turn the wheel left and right if the noise goes away in one direction and gets worse or is noticeable in the other direction then it most likely a hub. example turn wheel left noise goes away turn right and noise is same as strait or worse then most likely it is the left front hub.