transmission acting up [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : transmission acting up

williamGT
04-05-2007, 02:40 AM
I have a 2002 GAGT, just 2weeks ago GM did a fluid and filter change....Ever since my tranny has acting up, like 60-80km/h it feels like its shifting gears twice. and also when the car is parked, when I put it into gear it bangs into the gear.

any Idea's? my warranty ran out 2weeks ago:( ....my car only has 49,000km on it

williamGT
04-05-2007, 12:19 PM
This is odd, my transmission today is working fine....GM told me to bring it to them when it starts up again.

williamGT
11-23-2007, 05:16 AM
Its still doing it....when I drive for 1.5 hours the car is fine, and later it shifts funny. And when I park it, when I go into drive it bangs into gear.....so I turn off the car for 2 mins and its fine for 1 hour than does it again. any Idea's?
Im wondering sensors

GrandAmC9
11-23-2007, 01:12 PM
because the grand am transmission sucks

drumking1721
11-23-2007, 03:46 PM

werdddddddddddd

williamGT
11-23-2007, 05:29 PM
well the car goes to GM on monday, to see whats wrong with it....I only have 68000km on it

andrewe77
11-23-2007, 09:32 PM
I'd clean the MAF sensor.

KhellendrosxS
11-24-2007, 07:09 AM
Id say a vac line or the MAF is acting up. Most likely the MAF as they probably had to get it out of the way to get to the transmission fill cap.

williamGT
11-24-2007, 11:18 AM
MAF. thats the big one on the intake?

silvergtjrad
11-24-2007, 11:22 AM
MAF. thats the big one on the intake?
Yep, thats the one.

williamGT
11-27-2007, 07:34 PM
I took the car to GM today for the Transmission.
I told them this:
After driving for long periods of time vehicle develops harsh shift, Only happens when hot after driving approx. 2 hours, problem stops after vehicle is turned off and restarted.

Tech Comments:
Test drove and could not duplicate concern. Scanned and got P1811 max adapt and long shift. Monitored freeze frame and shift data and found trans has valve body problem. Best repair is to replace valve body.

$1168.00 just in parts....So later on all just call auto wrecking yards for a second hand transmission with low KM

andrewe77
11-27-2007, 10:53 PM
If my warranty expired 2 weeks ago and I found out I needed $1168 in repairs I can assure you I'd raise holy hell with GM until they paid for the entire repair. But, that's just me.

hass
11-27-2007, 10:56 PM
If my warranty expired 2 weeks ago and I found out I needed $1168 in repairs I can assure you I'd raise holy hell with GM until they paid for the entire repair. But, that's just me.

His warranty actually ran out months ago :p
Orig post was from 4.5.07
:p
Which was like... a long time ago ;)

Oh, and my tranny bangs in to gear everything I stick it in drive... :\
I thought that was normal, haha.
and it takes like 2 seconds for it to go in drive.
If I put it in D, then hit the gas, the engine just revs up... then as soon as the car goes *clunk* it leaps forward.
So I just wait for the clunk before I hit the gas any ;)

Then it has a weird shift between around 2->3rd... like it will shift both really rapidly.

gectek
12-18-2007, 08:21 PM
sounds like internal problems, and sometimes the long wait for it to shift can be broken trans mounts there are only 3 of them, 1 front, one back and one side, check the front and back, but the long shift time sounds like internal seal leaking, again i say its about rebuild time, unless u havent changed the fluid.filter in a while, im suprised how much that helps on trans probs

Panacea
12-18-2007, 09:21 PM

Not really. I abused the crap out of my car and I had 62k when I traded her in. Never had probelms with the tranny. I would say that the tranny is pretty solid. My wifes '02 Alero has 106k on hers and her transmission is a smooth as my GA's was at 62k.

Panacea
12-18-2007, 09:22 PM
I took the car to GM today for the Transmission.
I told them this:
After driving for long periods of time vehicle develops harsh shift, Only happens when hot after driving approx. 2 hours, problem stops after vehicle is turned off and restarted.

Tech Comments:
Test drove and could not duplicate concern. Scanned and got P1811 max adapt and long shift. Monitored freeze frame and shift data and found trans has valve body problem. Best repair is to replace valve body.

$1168.00 just in parts....So later on all just call auto wrecking yards for a second hand transmission with low KM

Take it to a tranny shop. My grandma's was slipping really bad and they rebuilt it for under $1000.

ss88
12-18-2007, 10:15 PM
Suprisingly my 99 ga gt has 160K on the tranny and is still really good. But its still strange... When the weather is warm is drives and shifts like a champ. However now that it is winter, and cold its not so smooth. My rpms will go up to 3500 before it will shift( and thats after I take my foot off the gas). It feels as if my clutch is sticking because I don't get that umph in D or R. But two minutes after driving it goes away. My remedy is letting the car get warm and just waiting a couple of minutes. Which is good for the engine anyways.

gectek
12-19-2007, 01:12 AM
well i have heard plenty to the contrary on the whole letting it sit and warm up mantra, but to each their own. and my trans would do that as well. now lets think about this a minute. after the trans is cold, the seals shrink right...ok it warms up the seal swells, problem fixed...for now. its just like a barely leaking head gasket. yah itll only misfire and act up for like 3 seconds when i start it, but pretty soon that 3 seconds turns into a minute and on and on, just because you ignore it doesnt mean itll go away or get any better. i know ive done it before on a situation just like urs...exactly like urs. i tore mine open and found a damage lip seal and later on a leaking head gasket.

williamGT
02-19-2008, 08:14 PM
The new transmission is in....Now my tranny cooler line is leaking:( I just cleaned my K&N cone filter and when I drive the car it didnt shift into 2nd until 60KM/H....I went to my moms for supper and when I drove back home the car was fine....

gectek
02-20-2008, 12:45 AM
new transmissions or rebuild units will usually take a while to get to what you would consider normal. they will have the tendency to shift firmer. also try cleaning ur MAF really good and see if that helps

williamGT
02-20-2008, 01:23 AM
new transmissions or rebuild units will usually take a while to get to what you would consider normal. they will have the tendency to shift firmer. also try cleaning ur MAF really good and see if that helps
Its shifts nice and firm..So your saying MAF could make it shift at a higher RPM and at 60KM/H?

gectek
02-20-2008, 11:35 AM
sometimes a dirty maf will cause a false signal and the pcm wont allow the trans to shift so it wont overload the engine, it sees big TPS, lots of map and no maf, it doesnt know what to do...

williamGT
02-20-2008, 12:38 PM
I just cleaned it....When the transmission is shifting will it do a stranged surg in between gears it only does it once in awhile. my old tranny did that to, and all my other cars that I had, I think its a common in all ATX.

gectek
02-20-2008, 12:43 PM
no it really shouldnt do it at all. did u use TB cleaner, if so make sure you spray the IAT sensor off as well, because the k&n filter can mess both of them up. you have to spray them really good because it only takes a small amount of oil or grease to mess the sensors up

williamGT
02-20-2008, 02:30 PM
Okay I cleaned it, now my Service Engine Soon light came on and car Idles at 1000RPM and sometimes 1300RPMs....Its shift into 2nd at 60KM/H or if you want it to shift quicker I have to let off the gas abit....To me I think the MAF sensor is about to go. My friend has the engine scanner at home, later I'll get him to scan any codes.

gectek
02-20-2008, 09:44 PM
sounds like u have a vacuum leak, that will cause the ses light and the higher than normal idle rpm...make sure u hooked everything up right

williamGT
02-21-2008, 02:07 AM
sounds like u have a vacuum leak, that will cause the ses light and the higher than normal idle rpm...make sure u hooked everything up right
Everything is on right, Me and the wife went to wing night for 2 hours, When I got inside the car to start it the SES light was off....but still does that surge thing, like you side tranny need to be broken in and also my friend that is a heavy duty mechanic said the same thing....Thanks for your help