CAI installation problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : CAI installation problem

Black Phoenix
04-05-2007, 12:38 PM
I'm having a problem installing the CAI I got from chromeintakes on ebay. The pipe between the throttle body and MAF seems to be too long and the holes for the sensors are too far apart. It doesn't allow adequate room for the sensors to be plugged in. I tried putting the seals on closer but they almost cover holes leaving no room for the rubber gaskets. Anyone else have this problem with a CAI from chromeintakes? It also seems that there will be little to no room for the battery once I actually get the whole intake installed.

I searched and read every thread on these forums about CAI's and couldn't find any with this problem. I'm new to this but I thought after doing much research on this forum I'd have no problems. ;crap

notsoaveragej0e
04-05-2007, 03:28 PM
They should be plenty, if not more room for the battery... do you have pictures? I personally am not familiar with Chromeintakes. You might have gotten an intake for a different car?

Jake
04-05-2007, 03:30 PM
haha, i ordered mine off ebay, it was from chrome intakes, it is tricky, and u dont end up using 1/2 the peices because it fits like 5 different cars. I can post a pic if you like. It was a big pain in the ass but finally got it done.

Jake
04-05-2007, 03:37 PM
Well. ill just explain it, first off, this CAI sucks, installing it i mean, it may not look as fancy as other intakes because 1/2 of it you keep stock, but it does work like other CAI's. k. Leave everything stock after the Tb, to the maf sensor. after the MAf sensor,put the big black tube that they provided, its like.. 4 inches long? approx. Then, put the pipe where it is supposed to be and it will almost line up with the black tube, in the existing space, put one of the blue rings they provide, connected to the pipe, and it should fit like 1 inch inside the black piece, it may not look fancy, but it will work. If your confused I can takea pic for you in a few hours if you like.

Black Phoenix
04-05-2007, 09:26 PM
No pictures sorry, my I'm out of batteries for my camera
Thanks for the replies, especially Jake, I'm working on it. I'm determined to find a way to make this work!

edit: Jake I'm pretty sure I understand what you mean but if you check this anytime in the near future could you post a pic of the finished product if it's not a big deal? Thanks I appreciate it.

Ajaxus
04-05-2007, 09:37 PM
i had issues with an ebay one too in my bro's car..just keep working at it and you'll get it to fit.

the advantages to having site sponsors, they make their kits as a direct fit for our vehicles..it's a 30min job.

Black Phoenix
04-05-2007, 09:44 PM
Guess that's what I get for trying to do it the cheap way :doh:

Black Phoenix
04-05-2007, 11:22 PM
Finally got it to fit using Jake's method. Thanks!

Jake
04-06-2007, 12:10 AM
haha, yea man no problem, glad I could help and glad you got it to work :D

rap219
04-07-2007, 10:51 AM
hmmm...I guess I'll pass on buying that intake..I was about to too. Is it 3" piping just out of curiousity?

Jake
04-07-2007, 01:41 PM
Yes, the pipe is real big and it actually is a beatutiful pipe, just installation is a pain in the ass :D